British man in Pattaya killed himself after amassing huge debts supporting Thai wife

webfact

I have known John for a number of years, when he used to work and live in khon kaen, found out that he came from my old town in Wales and we hit it off and became good mates.

We read about stuff like this on a regular basis living in Thailand, just like you, i have even said,, another 1 bites the dust, and i hang my head in shame for the times i have said this.

When it happens to some one you know, its very sad, yes he have had problems, fighting his case over the past few years with his X wife, which has got know where, and he felt he was pissing in the wind, trying to get what was entitled to him.. John went back to Wales for a little while, maybe he should have stayed in Wales where he had family and friends.

What he did for my family while he was in Wales, even thow it was a simple gesture, but to me it was a thoughtfull and kind act, I for one will never forget that,, gone but not forgotten,, RIP Mate until we meet again.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

The "I will guarantee" phrase was simply an English figure of speech and is not meant literally.

OK, so when you "guarantee" something , you mean thats just what you probably think happened .

If you were to "guarantee" that you would go to the pub tonight , what you mean is that you might go or you might not go ?

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, sure they seem too.

The highest arrest rate in the country for foreingers.

Everyday some major headline with a Brit involved.

Jumping off balconies, fights, arrests.

Whats up?? Brexit blues?  Just asking....

It must depend on where and how you live and what your finances are like.

Most of the sad stories seem to come from the big cities and less from the rural areas though it does happen in rural Thailand too.

13 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Wales is the worst part of it, even the Romans left Wales and Scotland alone.

If you had met some of the "valley commandos" on dance nights you would understand why the Romans left Wales alone.

3 pints of Brains S A (skull attack) made with the purest water of the river Taff, miners helmet and pit boots was normally the "dress" of the day. They didn't ask if you wanted to dance, they TOLD you. Scary women.

And they built walls to keep the heathens out.

Hadrian's wall for Scotland and Offa's Dyke for Wales.

9 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It changes nothing now but it would have changed something if he'd seen sense beforehand.

The part about chess was tongue in cheek...  I have no idea what 70 year olds do.  Whatever it is it has to be more interesting than being dead, though.

Well this 74 year old makes his own western style food, ham, bacon, sausages, pies, pate, bread and rolls, biscuits but not cakes.

I am sorting 160 odd Gb of Ebooks into Mobi format or PDF and eliminating all the duplicates. When I finish that I can go back to genealogy and my family tree and write my life story. That should take care of the next 3 years and I am sure that I will find a lot of things to do after that.

I also try to complete one crossword a day to keep my mind working and I also read a lot.

I have been married to my Thai wife for the last 18 years and knew her for 7 years before we married. We have a 13 year old son.

Yes we helped her family and they help us too. Her Mum lived in a small house we had built for her next to our house for about 5 years before she died.

What I DON'T do is sit on my ass on a barstool all day, whining amd complaining about Thailand, Thai people, farangs who get caught up with the wrong partners.

4 hours ago, welsh1 said:

I have known John for a number of years, when he used to work and live in khon kaen, found out that he came from my old town in Wales and we hit it off and became good mates.

We read about stuff like this on a regular basis living in Thailand, just like you, i have even said,, another 1 bites the dust, and i hang my head in shame for the times i have said this.

Im sorry to learn about your friend. It is easy to be wise, smart and clever on a keyboard, when you have no relation to the ones who is on the news. And news that come quite often from Pattaya and alike. 

I always wonder why smart people like your friend, who have been an engineer, teacher and maybe so much more, fall in to spending his life fortune in Thailand? We all know how it is, and we also know from where we come from, relationships do not last a liftetime anymore for most of us. Where did it go wrong, and why? It is always easy to put the blaim on the thai girls, but hey, shouldnt we know better? 

I think that is a fear question to ask. 

Abstract

The fitness of a population is defined to be a real smooth function of its environment and phenotype. Darwin's law of natural selection implies that a population in equilibrium with its environment under natural selection will have a phenotype which maximizes the fitness locally. By using Thom theory it is possible under a number of assumptions to make qualitative inferences about the phenotypic change of a population subject to natural selection in a continuously varying environment. When the environment is one or two dimensional, Thom's catastrophe theorem implies that sudden and substantial changes in phenotype can only arise from the fold and cusp catastrophes. It is shown that a population in stable equilibrium with its environment exhibits genetic assimilation, and that the main modes of evolution can arise from appropriate variations in the environment.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0025556476901279

On ‎4‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:45 AM, webfact said:

With divorce from his ex-wife imminent Mr Toms was worried that “corrupt judges” in Khon Kaen would conspire against him and leave him with nothing.

Seems sus then to kill himself if the judgement was not already in. Could have waited till he knew one way or the other.

I wonder if there was a life insurance involved?

I can understand spending all his money on her, but surely he should have realised that going into debt was not going to change anything.

RIP.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

If you had met some of the "valley commandos" on dance nights you would understand why the Romans left Wales alone.

3 pints of Brains S A (skull attack) made with the purest water of the river Taff, miners helmet and pit boots was normally the "dress" of the day. They didn't ask if you wanted to dance, they TOLD you. Scary women.

And they built walls to keep the heathens out.

Hadrian's wall for Scotland and Offa's Dyke for Wales.

Hey,, wales is not bad, when the sun is shining its a lovely place to live,, Have to agree with you on the Valley Commandos? When they say dance, you better start dancing.

14 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It changes nothing now but it would have changed something if he'd seen sense beforehand.

The part about chess was tongue in cheek...  I have no idea what 70 year olds do.  Whatever it is it has to be more interesting than being dead, though.

Sure, but why even mention he should have done this or that and he wouldn't have died. Do you get everything right yourself? You never make mistakes? He's dead - what he should have done is irrelevant. If he was still alive I'm sure he would agree with you.

14 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

If you don't smoke or drink (and don't have any other vices) then 250 is more than enough.  That's 3 healthy pork/chicken rice or noodle dishes a day with water, some fresh fruit, and the rest on rent and electric/water/internet.  Transport to work shouldn't be more than 50 baht a day if you don't live miles away from your workplace.  Most westerners in Thailand keep their western lifestyle so spend way more than they need to on food.

Yes, you can survive on 250 a day, but please don't confuse it with living.

17 hours ago, Jip99 said:

“Every reason to end it”

I don’t buy that.

I don’t buy £50k of debt either.

It doesn't really matter whether you buy it or not. He made the choice, and I'm sure he considered options.

18 hours ago, torrzent said:

Where there's a will, there's a way.  Think positive.

If there's no will, then what? We all have choices and can decide when we want to check out. 68 is not far off the average life expectancy in Thailand of 75, and who's to say he wasn't terminally ill. We really don't know much about this man.

2 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Hey,, wales is not bad, when the sun is shining its a lovely place to live,, Have to agree with you on the Valley Commandos? When they say dance, you better start dancing.

I was stationed at RAF St Athan and I could never get over the horizontal rain. Down Bridgend way in the summer it used to be very nice.

6 hours ago, tropo said:

If there's no will, then what? We all have choices and can decide when we want to check out. 68 is not far off the average life expectancy in Thailand of 75, and who's to say he wasn't terminally ill. We really don't know much about this man.

True.  However, in most western jurisdictions, it is still illegal to kill oneself and/or assist someone else to do so.  Whether that is right or wrong is a hotly debated topic.

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

However, in most western jurisdictions, it is still illegal to kill oneself and/or assist someone else to do so. 

And please explain how one can be prosecuted when they are dead. As far as assisted suicide, see the following:

As of March 2018, human euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, Colombia, Luxembourg, Canada and India. Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, Germany, South Korea, Japan, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii, Vermont, Montana, Washington DC, and California.

Please get your facts straight :)

On 5/4/2018 at 10:07 AM, poanoi said:

he was 68, his life was over, the only bit left was dying in poverty,

good for him its over

Life is not over when you're 68 , that's for sure, if your mental health is still good. 

This guy is 94 , his name is Olav Thon , one of the richest billionaires in Norway. His life is not over.  Walks into the office every day.

But even without money , you can still have a decent life as an old man. 

I would rather live alone than having to pay for a woman I met in a Pattaya bar. 

32458.jpg

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

I was stationed at RAF St Athan and I could never get over the horizontal rain. Down Bridgend way in the summer it used to be very nice.

I did my BE training as an armorer there and the rain is something to behold

9 hours ago, TMNH said:

And please explain how one can be prosecuted when they are dead. As far as assisted suicide, see the following:

As of March 2018, human euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, Colombia, Luxembourg, Canada and India. Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, Germany, South Korea, Japan, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii, Vermont, Montana, Washington DC, and California.

Please get your facts straight :)

No, you get your facts straight instead of the fake news.  It is not legal in most of those jurisdictions.  Provide references, data sources, and a legal opinion for each one (as well as independent verifiable stats for each country of how many cases have been done) if you wish to prove your point.

Attempted suicide is a criminal offence in many jurisdictions.

6 hours ago, balo said:

Life is not over when you're 68 , that's for sure, if your mental health is still good. 

This guy is 94 , his name is Olav Thon , one of the richest billionaires in Norway. His life is not over.  Walks into the office every day.

But even without money , you can still have a decent life as an old man. 

I would rather live alone than having to pay for a woman I met in a Pattaya bar. 

32458.jpg

what is that strange hat he is wearing?  It looks like a door mat.

49 minutes ago, torrzent said:

what is that strange hat he is wearing? 

It's his trademark , you won't find a picture of him without it. Btw, he is the 198th richest person in the world so he must have been doing something right, even at old age.  He started with nothing. 

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

No, you get your facts straight instead of the fake news.  It is not legal in most of those jurisdictions.  Provide references, data sources, and a legal opinion for each one (as well as independent verifiable stats for each country of how many cases have been done) if you wish to prove your point.

Attempted suicide is a criminal offence in many jurisdictions.

You're not worth my time replying...research and get back to me:)

17 minutes ago, balo said:

It's his trademark , you won't find a picture of him without it. Btw, he is the 198th richest person in the world so he must have been doing something right, even at old age.  He started with nothing. 

well..he started off being born in norway so he was half way there

the day he was born

Lesson No 1 all you expats. Never fall for a Bar Girl who gives you great sex and leads you to marry her after 1 month. The only thing she has on her mind and it is not your old penis but your bank account. If you are 68 years old at least look for a Thai lady in her 40s or 50s because these old boilers are getting to the stage where they want to settle down because they are getting older  Some don't but I reckon 70% of these old boilers will. Ok Have the great sex with the bar girl don't give her anything and move on  

Two flame posts have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I did my BE training as an armorer there and the rain is something to behold

Another Brat. 

Brownknees did his Aircraft Electricians Brat course starting at Cosford and finishing at Saints.

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

Lesson No 1 all you expats. Never fall for a Bar Girl who gives you great sex and leads you to marry her after 1 month. The only thing she has on her mind and it is not your old penis but your bank account. If you are 68 years old at least look for a Thai lady in her 40s or 50s because these old boilers are getting to the stage where they want to settle down because they are getting older  Some don't but I reckon 70% of these old boilers will. Ok Have the great sex with the bar girl don't give her anything and move on  

You do realise that the wife is 55 years old?

Archived