British man in Pattaya killed himself after amassing huge debts supporting Thai wife

webfact

40 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You read similar tragic Thai Visa news from the past and it's easy to draw conclusions.

Bar girls are not someone you want to be associated with in Thailand.

Can't agree,

Would rewrite that to read 'Sexual partners are not the ones you should allow to control your finances'

I associate with bar girls all the time, they are lots of fun, but then I don't ask them for financial advice beyond a short time investment of one or two thousand baht.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Until recently visitors to Pattaya will have been familiar with Crazy Dave's diner in Soi Chayapoon. The cabaret show that he (Dave) and his wife occasionally put on for his punters in the small hours when they were drunk was quite famous among expats and long term visitors in the locality who used the cafe.

He became ill and went back to the UK. He visited a London hospital and having seen a consultant was presented with a bill for 900 GBPs. That was not for any treatment or an operation. Just a consultation. Before he came to Thailand he'd also had to pay his dues into the pot.

Well when you leave you leave! Cant you still pay small government healthcare after you you move out?

42 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You read similar tragic Thai Visa news from the past and it's easy to draw conclusions.

Well, that was not exactly my question. I try again, Is it only bar girls who cheat on falangs? Or is it easier to tag them as the problem? Most bar girls who get married, they work short time in the bar and off they go. Im not talking about those who worked for a decade, and still only worked 3 months! Or those who worked Pattaya and arrive Hua Hin and are the new girl! 

4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

This is very true.  I will be taking early retirement later this year. Friends and colleagues know my wife is Thai and that we often come to Thailand. When I say I'm going to move to Thailand I often get a comment back along the lines of 'don't come back to use the NHS'.  This growing hostility to ex-pats is quite a recent thing IMO - the UK is becoming a rather strange place.

Some very fine posts here.

But certainly not specific to the UK as I would say the same for Australia.

4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

This is very true.  I will be taking early retirement later this year. Friends and colleagues know my wife is Thai and that we often come to Thailand. When I say I'm going to move to Thailand I often get a comment back along the lines of 'don't come back to use the NHS'.  This growing hostility to ex-pats is quite a recent thing IMO - the UK is becoming a rather strange place.

I was under the impression UK pensioners were entitled to use the NHS free of charge no matter what their residential status.

On 04/05/2018 at 6:24 PM, bkk6060 said:

Brits sure seem to be having many many issues here.

All the problems and arrests and diving off balconies.

Geez, whats going on?

Brits are the largest contingent of those living in the area on retirement extensions and a large component of those here as tourists, so I would expect them to be prominent in the bad news, but it is far from being peculiar to them.

On 04/05/2018 at 6:38 PM, rosst said:

How sad he did not have a few of the right friends to help him, RIP, sad story to read and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest her armpits. 

When you have already borrowed £ 50,000  friends become thin on the ground.

52 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Can't agree,

Would rewrite that to read 'Sexual partners are not the ones you should allow to control your finances'

I associate with bar girls all the time, they are lots of fun, but then I don't ask them for financial advice beyond a short time investment of one or two thousand baht.

OK.

We are talking marriage with a bargirl.

Bargirls are in the business of lying and selling u dreamz just like bankers and lawyers.

Would you be BFF with a banker and a lawyer?

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

OK.

Bargirls are in the business of lying and selling u dreamz just like bankers and lawyers.

With all respect sir, I have dated so called good girls from good family (high ranked police officer) and to my surprise she lied to. And even mor surprised to meet many more from middle class that also lie, but to them it is not lies they tell, bizzar as it feels when you realize the difference. 

6 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Every woman I've ever had sex with was lying and selling me dreams.

Bargirls are just more obvious about it, and have sex with you more often.

I begin to suspect AWALT, but it's probably just the company I keep.

It's not something I would kill myself over, or get into debt.

If my wife has drained all my cash before the end of the month, we eat noodles, I refuse to die or borrow because of it..

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

With all respect sir, I have dated so called good girls from good family (high ranked police officer) and to my surprise she lied to. And even mor surprised to meet many more from middle class that also lie, but to them it is not lies they tell, bizzar as it feels when you realize the difference. 

You dated a good girl from a high ranked police officer and you were lied to.

Is there a punch line?

30 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You dated a good girl from a high ranked police officer and you were lied to.

Is there a punch line?

Yes, lie is cultural manifested in Thailand!

A comment on all the negativity about bar girls....

I have been coming to Thailand for many years, working in Bangkok and associating with people in government and the business community.

I dated a lot of girls - and since I can speak/read/write Thai the 'field' was pretty big. I never considered a relationship with a 'bar girl' and certainly never considered marrying one.

I had two serious relationships. Both highly educated Thai-Chinese and from wealthy families. One was fairly senior at Thai Life insurance co., the other fairly senior at the company behind Terminal 21 etc. Their careers had progressed rapidly thanks to family connections.

Over the months both girls turned out to be as shallow, dishonest and money-grubbing as the worst bar girl. They just had more money and an exaggerated sense of their status. They were both immature too, with frequent tantrums and mood swings - basically over-indulged and spoilt.  

To my own amazement I ended up in a relationship with a massage lady I met on a random weekend in Pattaya. She was older, less good-looking and a lot poorer than any previous girlfriend. But I took her out for a ST - that was six years ago, and we haven't been apart since. Married for three years now and I can't fault her.

One of her friends in the UK is an ex-bargirl married to an English guy. She doesn't hide her past. She's a really great girl - they have two kids and she's a good wife and mother.  Equally, I've seen some dreadful cases.

I do chuckle when I see posts from guys who claim to have a HiSo or highly-educated wife, as if that makes them intrinsically better or more honest.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:50 AM, balo said:

But even without money , you can still have a decent life as an old man. 

I would rather live alone than having to pay for a woman I met in a Pattaya bar. 

The obvious response to that is that not everyone agrees with you.

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

I do chuckle when I see posts from guys who claim to have a HiSo or highly-educated wife, as if that makes them intrinsically better or more honest.

Agree 100%.

Hiso women are still women, after all, just with more money, and far more likely to be spoilt and high maintenance.

Even in the bars, I avoided the best looking ones as they didn't need to even try to get customers, and thought they were "special".

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

I have been coming to Thailand for many years, working in Bangkok and associating with people in government and the business community.

I dated a lot of girls - and since I can speak/read/write Thai the 'field' was pretty big. I never considered a relationship with a 'bar girl' and certainly never considered marrying one.

I had two serious relationships. Both highly educated Thai-Chinese and from wealthy families. One was fairly senior at Thai Life insurance co., the other fairly senior at the company behind Terminal 21 etc. Their careers had progressed rapidly thanks to family connections.

Over the months both girls turned out to be as shallow, dishonest and money-grubbing as the worst bar girl. They just had more money and an exaggerated sense of their status. They were both immature too, with frequent tantrums and mood swings - basically over-indulged and spoilt.  

Wait.... this reminds me of an interview I saw on a popular teaching site that shall remain unnamed.

I worked as a teacher in Bangkok for 100k a month, but....but.... I am so much happier in Isaan with  30k and no electricity.

What really reeks of your post being fake is the "Thai-Chinese" connotation.....as if they are the only wealthy group in Thailand.... or the ones with decent jobs.

You "associated" with people in "government" and "business community". How many of them got stuck with a short time girl? 

That's right. Come back under another user name and try again.....

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I was under the impression UK pensioners were entitled to use the NHS free of charge no matter what their residential status.

Resident pensioners are certainly, but I believe the rules for expats returning for a short, medium or long term have to establish residence and then join the queue that is running the hospitals waiting lists complete with postponements.

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

OK.

Given those options I would far rather trust a bargirl than either a banker or a lawyer.

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If my wife has drained all my cash before the end of the month, we eat noodles, I refuse to die or borrow because of it..

A case of unable to afford rice, let them eat noodles!

My wife doesn't have access to my cash,  and although that goes against the 'trusting and loving relationship'  image... I bet there are a few others who do the same.

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

My wife doesn't have access to my cash,  and although that goes against the 'trusting and loving relationship'  image... I bet there are a few others who do the same.

If I allowed mine access, I'd trust her to spend the whole month in 1 day.

Like many Thais (and women) no financial sense or restraint.

On 04/05/2018 at 10:32 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Is living in Britain really that depressing?

The capital of England has recently had more murders than New York for the first time in 200 years and had more race riots since the 1980s. It's also the world capital for acid attacks. After a while these things tend to grate on people and eventually will lead to depression whether you're affected by such crimes or not. 

What happens in London eventually spreads nationwide. Maybe that's why there are so many British long termers and ex pats in the LOS just like the poor fellow in this topic who killed himself in despair possibly knowing that he nothing to go back to and not enough money to sustain his future in Thailand.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:20 AM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

If you don't smoke or drink (and don't have any other vices) then 250 is more than enough.  That's 3 healthy pork/chicken rice or noodle dishes a day with water, some fresh fruit, and the rest on rent and electric/water/internet.  Transport to work shouldn't be more than 50 baht a day if you don't live miles away from your workplace.  Most westerners in Thailand keep their western lifestyle so spend way more than they need to on food.

That would be a lot of fat, sugar and salt. To say nothing of culinary joylessnous. 

55 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

My wife does and has done for many years. Just the same as my former wife in the UK had access.

It is called trust in a married relationship.

IMHO if you don't trust your wife then why did you marry her in the first place?

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

My wife does and has done for many years. Just the same as my former wife in the UK had access.

IMHO if you don't trust your wife then why did you marry her in the first place?

We all have different opinions...  and ways of doing things.

The relationship  has nevertheless survived many years, nor have I ever been divorced.

We are discussing one where it failed miserably, and unworthy  trust was involved!

Perhaps self-preservation drives me!

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I'm not sure you have to trust someone to marry them. There are many ingredients in addition to trust. I would never trust anyone 100% male or female. Would it stop me marrying her? Probably not. Just take precautions like I would in many situations. 

8 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

OK.

Two different situations , you would be friends with a Lawyer and banker after they have finished their working day , they wouldnt come and meet you and bring their work with them , on the other hand, when you are with a bargirl , you ARE their work, you are their job .

You would not be a Lawyers client , although you would be a bargirls client

9 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I associate with them frequently . But is a game of P4P.  Dating straight girls can be a chore..Not worth it.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Two different situations , you would be friends with a Lawyer and banker after they have finished their working day , they wouldnt come and meet you and bring their work with them , on the other hand, when you are with a bargirl , you ARE their work, you are their job .

You would not be a Lawyers client , although you would be a bargirls client

But, you know, at once the ring is on, they stop working

Archived