Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

British man in Pattaya killed himself after amassing huge debts supporting Thai wife

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It's a cute post but why give them money.  Let them make their own.  Thailand is not that poor.  They can make 500 baht a day quite easily and live on half of that.  If they choose to give the rest to their family, well that's their business.  They're not going to be homeless or destitute.  Better to find a girl who can support herself, plenty out there.

You can maybe exist on 250 a day, but I wouldn't call it living.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

 As long as that cycle can continue there should never be a need to contemplate suicide - being able to walk away from, or turn your back on,  something that you have committed most of your time, money and heart to is a necessary skill for longevity in Thailand. 

 

 

I suppose you missed some key information. He was broke and in debt for 50,000 GBP? Being 68 there's a good chance he had some health issues too, with no money for medicine or treatment. He had every reason to end it. He was living in a huge hole with no way out. The only "fix" was to borrow more money to get back to the UK and live there alone and broke. I don't know England, so have no idea what that would be like if old and broke with no place to live. Why does everyone assume the guy didn't weigh up all his options before jumping?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tropo said:

He was living in a huge hole with no way out.

Where there's a will, there's a way.  Think positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, swissie said:

To blow ones life savings on a "Lady" is one thing, but to borrow 50'000£ from family and friends and then make a fast exit? He was fully aware, that he would never be able to repay the loans.
Something like this I call despicable behaviour.


Surely, his creditors will join in the RIP chorus, but from their point of view the RIP probably stands for
"Rot In Purgatory".
Cheers.

Nasty!  Were you a Swiss banker by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tropo said:

Watching football and playing chess after 68... to live for... Now I'm even more depressed.

Depends on the team!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Is living in Britain really that depressing?

Wales is the worst part of it, even the Romans left Wales and Scotland alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

No mention of age of those involved, but I would be willing to bet the wife was probably half his age, and someone he could never get under normal circumstances, except in Thailand. 

I think this is true of a huge number of expats living in Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tropo said:

 

I suppose you missed some key information. He was broke and in debt for 50,000 GBP? Being 68 there's a good chance he had some health issues too, with no money for medicine or treatment. He had every reason to end it. He was living in a huge hole with no way out. The only "fix" was to borrow more money to get back to the UK and live there alone and broke. I don't know England, so have no idea what that would be like if old and broke with no place to live. Why does everyone assume the guy didn't weigh up all his options before jumping?

 

 

“Every reason to end it”

 

 

I don’t buy that.

 

I don’t buy £50k of debt either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy was a pretender. Blew 100k in 6 years and then got dough from his friends to bail him out and then bails out completely. On top of this he received £1000 a month and had a job as a teacher. So he basically blew £30k+ a year for 6 years and was renting a house in khon kaen. I'm sorry but this guy is a great example of what not to be. A complete mug. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad case. R. I. P.

But it is quite exceptional. Many stories over the years similar, but invariably it involved stupidity or maybe naivety on behalf of the Farang. Apparently there are many people in the world who cannot say "NO" And of course this is often seized upon by their "try to look hi so to my friends and family" partners. Luckily I don't have the same problem. My problem is saying "yes". So I am often referred to as Mr Kineow. A burden, but I manage to live with it. 5555 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

No mention of age of those involved, but I would be willing to bet the wife was probably half his age, and someone he could never get under normal circumstances, except in Thailand. 

 

Ahh, the old bash Thailand hobby by the uneducated and unwashed. like older guys in western countries don’t marry younger women......who is the President of the U.S? How olds his wife, I guess you never heard of Hugh Hefner, what about Woody Allen. The list goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sanemax said:

He still had his monthly 50 000 Baht pension 

He could have declares himself bankrupt and eliminated the debt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The manic said:

He could have declares himself bankrupt and eliminated the debt.

 

Step 1....... and it beats the sh1t out of suicide..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...