US man's tears for his beautiful Thai fiancee: It should have been a wedding but drink driving made it a funeral

webfact

Troll posts have been removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

One of the biggest worries of every motorcycle rider is to be hit from

the back by someone who just for a second, took his/her eyes of

the road in front of them...

Yes but in many cases its NOT a  second its a  whole 5  minutes, see it many times when they want to change lanes as  well, they start the  manoeuvre then check the  mirror and suddenly swerve back in utter  selfish morons.

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

Or pissed out of their skull with zero regard for others.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:51 PM, Dararasmi said:

T-shirt and shorts at a funeral. Reason enough to love Thailand.  

Pity you did not put so much effort into looking at the link and the pics there, as you did with your mindless comment.

No shorts at the funeral.

Grow up

Poor unfortunate young lady,her young life taken away by a damned drunk.

When oh when are the authorities here going and do something and this daily carnage?

Seen a post about Big joke, when is he going to do something, well the answer to that question is never.

There is no publicity to be gained by it, only gets the publicity by being rushed around Thailand for pre arranged arrests.

My heart goes out to her fiancee, and her grieving family, too young to die.

R.I.P. beautiful lady.

On 4.5.2018 at 4:09 PM, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Very sad story. Live everyday like its your last...because one day it will. 

Yes, we know for sure, but once the last one is there, we will be so surprised.

What, already ???

On 04/05/2018 at 7:00 AM, ezzra said:

Speaking of Thailand, "took his/her eyes off the mobile phone in front of them" would be more adequate.

• 2 weeks later...

So sad, this happened but so common in Thailand . I get angry at the loss of life ,more so than so many Thais , I say that because, if the Thai people really wanted to change this, they would . But what I see every day would suggest , they  never will. would  I say this , you may well ask , well laws are ignored .

every day I see this I will list what I see daily .This is just motor bikes.

day time

1. school children to young to have a license  3 or 4 on a bike leaving school directed  by police .

2 . brand new bikes with there mirrors ,removed leaving the local technical school .

3. 8 out of ten no helmets,.

4 passengers riding sidesaddle  no helmets

5 pulling out or u turning and not signaling or looking .

7 tailgating trucks or cars at speed.

night time

8 no lights at all headlight or tail lights on pitch black roads ,including all the above.

I refuse to ride my bike at night , because of the dangers caused by these people .And dogs and tractors with no lights and other transport with no lights , I see it every day and when I go out at night , on the road between where I live and the 10 minute ride to town these are deaths all the time . mostly motor bikes being hit by other motor bikes or cars ,seen kids dead on the road so many time , but you cant stop it no one wants to talk about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 10:46 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

He is too busy locking up harmless foreigners on overstay to bother with local killers mate. 

Forgive me Father,  but it is not within the remit of Deputy Commissioner of the Tourist Police, Surachet Hakpan to be chasing traffic offenders, drunk drivers etc. He's busy weeding out illegal immigrants and visa overstayers, something which maybe the Immigration Police also ought to be doing.

the saddest part of this story is that they didn't have a chance to see if it would work. 

some say its better to have loved and lost … but what about those who don't get the chance to choose

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 3:13 PM, chippendale said:

Life is cheap.

500 Baht and a wai.

There was a guy who drove at high speed into a motorcycle ridden by a Myanmar migrant worker a year or two back. The guy attended the funeral and gave the family 1000 Baht. The family was outraged at this pathetic gesture. I'm sure he also gave them a sorry "wai".

On 5/5/2018 at 10:43 PM, wvavin said:

This should not have happened if laws are properly enforced! Very sad indeed.

Laws, LOL. We need more laws! Sorry, but the law won't help after the fact. Some countries have very strict drink driving laws yet some people still choose to drink and drive and kill others. And yes I realize that if law enforcement were strengthened it would deter drink driving more. But it wouldn't eliminate it altogether.

What was lacking here was common sense. Common sense is VERY uncommon among a large segment of Thai drivers. That and a lack of judgment, as well as poor driving skills.

• 3 weeks later...

Where does this "500 baht and a wai" notion come from?  It is uncommon to even hear about a case as far as the sentencing, the vast majority of news cases end with the arrest.  And he could get 10 years for this, the cases I see getting small fines tend not to have been cases resulting in a death, sometimes it is just a suspended sentence and a big fine like that tourist who killed his girlfriend on his bike a few months ago, but I've never seen a 500 baht for fine, only for things like battering someone.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:11 PM, The Deerhunter said:

A beautiful young woman and a fine couple they would have made.  What a waste.  Apparently over 60% of all road deaths here involve motor cycles.  I have a Thai m/c and car licence but am too scared to go out on bikes.

That is your choice we all judge how safe we think things are and what risk we want to take. I have been riding motorbikes here for 8 years without problems. I got a car too but (and I live in BKK area) a motorbike is faster and more practical. For both parking and driving. 

10 hours ago, robblok said:

That is your choice we all judge how safe we think things are and what risk we want to take. I have been riding motorbikes here for 8 years without problems. I got a car too but (and I live in BKK area) a motorbike is faster and more practical. For both parking and driving. 

Well I live out on the sticks.  If I lived in BKK I might do things differently.

7 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Well I live out on the sticks.  If I lived in BKK I might do things differently.

Good point, here traffic is so bad that a scooter just saves so much time and problems with parking. I am not sure I would like driving on a motorcycle in the sticks, or that it would be needed as there is less traffic and better parking opportunities. 

My condolences to the guy and the girl's family.  There's no excuse for drinking and driving. 

However I must say a lot of motocyclists in this country are just asking for it.  They swerve in and out and assume car drivers have 360 degree view.  Motorocyclists are as much to blame as car drivers when both sides do not respect and pay attention to correct driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. The 25000 killed every year on the roads is the not the extraordinary thing, it is the fact that that figure isn't higher. When you see the way people ride/drive here it is a miracle that figure isn't 50,000!

Sad story.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:40 PM, The Deerhunter said:

Riding a motorcycle in Bangkok is scary and dangerous. I would never ride my motorcycle into central Bangkok, unless I had a death wish. I drive my car though all the time - yes sometimes the traffic becomes unbearable but at least it's much safer than riding a bike, plus I'm sheltered from the heat and rain and don't arrive at my destination (for example work) drenched in sweat. Besides, the Thai staff hate that - the females in particular have a particular aversion towards sweaty, smelly farangs. If I drive, I don't have to sweat so problem solved.

On the other hand, riding a motorcycle out in the sticks is something enjoyable. Otherwise, I only ride my bike locally - for anything more than a few km I use the car.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:55 AM, shan777 said:

So sad, this happened but so common in Thailand . I get angry at the loss of life ,more so than so many Thais , I say that because, if the Thai people really wanted to change this, they would . But what I see every day would suggest , they  never will. would  I say this , you may well ask , well laws are ignored . 

every day I see this I will list what I see daily .This is just motor bikes.

day time

1. school children to young to have a license  3 or 4 on a bike leaving school directed  by police .

2 . brand new bikes with there mirrors ,removed leaving the local technical school . 

3. 8 out of ten no helmets,.

4 passengers riding sidesaddle  no helmets 

5 pulling out or u turning and not signaling or looking . 

7 tailgating trucks or cars at speed.

night time

8 no lights at all headlight or tail lights on pitch black roads ,including all the above.

I refuse to ride my bike at night , because of the dangers caused by these people .And dogs and tractors with no lights and other transport with no lights , I see it every day and when I go out at night , on the road between where I live and the 10 minute ride to town these are deaths all the time . mostly motor bikes being hit by other motor bikes or cars ,seen kids dead on the road so many time , but you cant stop it no one wants to talk about it.

You forgot riding against the flow of traffic or the wrong way down a one way road. Both of these behaviors are extremely common and occur daily and reportedly only attract a 100-200 Baht fine if caught.

Archived