Phuket Court denies bail in alleged property fraud case

webfact

Phuket Court denies bail in alleged property fraud case

The latest in the fraud case against the Emerald Development Group.

By The Thaiger

20429883_842158199279175_258065568711621  

PHOTO: Emerald Development Group Facebook page

Bail has been denied at a hearing in the Phuket Provincial Court earlier today in the case of Sawit ‘Mai’ Ketroj who was arrested at Phuket International Airport on May 1 over a case involving alleged fraud related to the Emerald Development Group.

Khun Mai’s lawyers say they will appeal the decision of the Court not to grant bail. The prosecuting lawyers say they’ll submit an objection during any appeal hearing.

The fraud charges relate to the Emerald City Life Condo Patong, Emerald Terrace, Patong, Emerald Ao Nang Condo in Krabi and The Emerald, Central.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket-court-denies-bail-in-alleged-property-fraud-case

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-04

16 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

So he stands on the wrong side of the political fence, is not well connected, is broke or rubbed up the connected the wrong way.

Or simply the court recognized he was a flight risk considering he was arrested at the airport.

58 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Or simply the court recognized he was a flight risk considering he was arrested at the airport.

I was going to point that out until I read another, conflicting, news report that he handed himself in to police voluntarily.

Emerald Group CEO Sawit Ketroj surrendered himself at Patong Police Station at 4:40pm yesterday (May 2). He was wanted on an arrest warrant issued by the Phuket Provincial Court in October last year.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-condo-mogul-arrested-for-fraud-on-defaulting-investors-66985.php#A0MApH2oCqgQSq4I.99

1 hour ago, Valentine said:

Of course quite likely, however the ways of Thailand bring out the cynic in me.

Seems to me the normal turn of events for those facing the court for even the most extreme crimes is to be granted bail, why is this?

On 04/05/2018 at 4:10 PM, Oziex1 said:

So he stands on the wrong side of the political fence, is not well connected, is broke or rubbed up the connected the wrong way.

You mean all the criteria that would matter in the west in a similar event of litigation?

12 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Of course not, the western justice system is squeaky clean.

I take it your not British.no system can be perfect but I'll wager that ours is the most honest and fair.try and bribe a copper.try and bribe a jury,lol no chance.dont matter who you are and what money you've got it won't help you if your up to your neck in the brown stuff and facing a judge and jury.

2 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

I take it your not British.no system can be perfect but I'll wager that ours is the most honest and fair.try and bribe a copper.try and bribe a jury,lol no chance.dont matter who you are and what money you've got it won't help you if your up to your neck in the brown stuff and facing a judge and jury.

My comment was a sarcastic reply to another post.

On 05/05/2018 at 7:25 AM, Valentine said:

Very true, but if you are from the right background or know the right people this doesn't seem to matter.

Archived