Diprospan injection for asthma/hay fever

myprivate

Just some info which may help others - I’ve had allergic asthma and hay fever for most of my life, it hits during summer in Western countries, but I get it 3-4 times a year in Thailand as plants seem to be flowering here throughout the year. Had a skin allergy test at Bumrungrad and it confirmed that I'm allergic to most types of pollen.

It’s been controlled using the usual drugs like seretide inhaler, nasonex, eye drops, antihistamines.

Went to see a different Doctor in Bangkok last week as I could feel the symptoms were worsening and he gave me an injection of something I’d never heard of before, “Diprospan”. It cost around 1,200 baht including doctors fee, etc. and he said it will probably last 3 months. Within a day all of my symptoms vanished without using any other medicines, amazing.

Doc told me he would only give it a maximum of 4 times a year at the lowest dose of 1ml because there is a risk of side effects, particularly at higher doses or higher frequencies, but I’ll take the risk for now as I get side effects with the conventional cocktail asthma/allergy drugs (hoarse voice, fatigue, etc.). No side effects with Diprospan so far.

I’ve looked online, Diprospan seems to an almost miracle drug for allergies, with US citizens travelling to Mexico just to get a shot. Strange that it’s not more mainstream considering how effective and cheap it is, I guess they are worried about the side effects.

For those interested https://www.old.health.gov.il/units/pharmacy/trufot/alonim/Diprospan_Inj_dr_1437036363767.pdf

Thanks Sheryl, I had a feeling you'd say that:smile:. Anyway it's inside me now so not much I can do about it, but I must say it's great to be free of all allergy symptoms, hopefully I don't catch anything nasty whilst my immune system is desensitized.

• 2 months later...

Just an update... 3 months free of asthma/hay fever, without using the usual cocktail of inhalers, nasel sprays, antihistamines or eye drops, and no noticeable side effects.

But over the last week I can feel my asthma returning. Doc said it would last around 3 months so that seems about right.

mmm... another shot is tempting.

I get what you say Sheryl, always respect your opinion, but the cocktail of other drugs I normally take have side effects and they also contain steroids (Seritide and Nasonex), and the antihistamine pills make me really sleepy, even the new generation ones. It's a dilemma.

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, myprivate said:

It's a dilemma.

no it's not! i retired Seretide, Avamys, Berodual (spray and nebuliser), Ventolin, Spiriva (and what not powder inhalers) and replaced them by "Diprospan" (manufactured by Schering) every three months since several years. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, Naam said:

no it's not! i retired Seretide, Avamys, Berodual (spray and nebuliser), Ventolin, Spiriva (and what not powder inhalers) and replaced them by "Diprospan" (manufactured by Schering) every three months since several years. 

Have you found that you need the injections less frequently the more you have them? It's over 6 months since my last shot and I'm still allergy free. December is often one of my worst months (dry season) but my asthma was fine even with smog in BKK. Done some googling and some people reckon this works for up to a year.

Archived