What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Olympus Has Fallen last night. (Whitehouse gets taken over by N. Korean terrorists)

Must admit I thought it was OK going on Good, action all the way. If there are any Bruce Willis Die Hard fans out there, this is one for you.

Video Graphics are good; would be worth watching on the big screen.

Awesome cast.

Not to be confused with "Whitehouse Down". wink.png

They also avoided the overly schmaltzy and predictable bits that some of these movies do. At least when people look like they will be killed in this one they stay dead!

Back in the states walking around our town with my daughter during the midst of a heat wave. Saw this at the local and we dropped in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-91OD6QZNLo

I'll not give my review but both my teenage daughter and I enjoyed it. Thought it went a little light on "radical Islam" but gave a perspective many westerners don't appreciate.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/movie-reviews/movie-review-reluctant-fundamentalist-flips-usual-terror-plots-688902/

The Reluctant Fundamentalist can be read as a novel and wouldn't it be a bit more nuanced?

It seems hard to imagine that a film about this subject these days could sell in the U.S. market.

For example, the Accidental Tourist would never sell to today's teen movie goer, but did years ago.

I am about to watch the film version which is being sent to me.

Tks.

Sutherland can act when he is not doing rot like the awakenings or who remembers the title of that film travesty that the young girls swooned over?

Just watched Zero Dark Thirty. Not that good to be honest, just fast forward, watch a couple of explosions and the finale.

Also the first episode of Utopia. A very weird (and quite violent) new series from C4.

If you watch this after the torture scenes in Zero Dark Thirty you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

Just watched Zero Dark Thirty last night (to be honest, had never heard of it before) Yes, it is pretty slow in places but I thought it was well portrayed in the hunt for Bin Laden from 2004 onwards.

Have to say I enjoyed it even though it is about 2 1/2 hours long!

He died in the end anyway..................Posted Image

Damn it! You're supposed to say "spoiler alert"!

By the way, as for how well it portrayed the hunt, keep in mind that - as to be expected - in some respects facts were sacrificed for the sake of narrative.

Just watched Zero Dark Thirty. Not that good to be honest, just fast forward, watch a couple of explosions and the finale.

Also the first episode of Utopia. A very weird (and quite violent) new series from C4.

If you watch this after the torture scenes in Zero Dark Thirty you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

Just watched Zero Dark Thirty last night (to be honest, had never heard of it before) Yes, it is pretty slow in places but I thought it was well portrayed in the hunt for Bin Laden from 2004 onwards.

He died in the end anyway..................tongue.png

dam_n it! You're supposed to say "spoiler alert"!

By the way, as for how well it portrayed the hunt, keep in mind that - as to be expected - in some respects facts were sacrificed for the sake of narrative.

Also this one from national Geo channel. SEAL TEAM SIX: THE RAID ON OSAMA BIN LADEN

I have seen both and in many ways I preferred the National Geo version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vtiaNqtv4

Watched World War Z the other day. Saw it in 3D but i would do the 2D if i had my time again

Movie was delayed for months and it was thought it might be a stinker. However, it was fairly good. Based on the book by Max Brooks. It differs quite a bit from the book. I liked both.

Good if u like Zombie or post apocalyptic stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

The Reluctant Fundamentalist can be read as a novel and wouldn't it be a bit more nuanced?

It seems hard to imagine that a film about this subject these days could sell in the U.S. market.

For example, the Accidental Tourist would never sell to today's teen movie goer, but did years ago.

Tks.

Sutherland can act when he is not doing rot like the awakenings or who remembers the title of that film travesty that the young girls swooned over?

This was playing at the "art house" theatre in town. All the blockbuster crappola* can be found at the malls in the area.

* save for the latest Star Trek saga which i enjoyed.

Tks.

This was playing at the "art house" theatre in town. All the blockbuster crappola* can be found at the malls in the area.

* save for the latest Star Trek saga which i enjoyed.

As I say, upon your recommendation, I now have a copy on my HD.

Just waiting to sit down this evening and hoping to be a bit stimulated for a change.

I find it difficult to watch movies much anymore, but I really do enjoy a film which can both hold my interest and one that I have not already seen.

So thanks.

American tv series The Dome just started and is holding my attention.

The Fall (as mentioned above) was pretty good.

MasterChef Australia - I need some mind candy once in awhile.

Couple of weeks back I watched The Maltese Falcon for the millionth time.

I loved the scene in ZDT when the copters take off and are flying through the night, perfect music, really a truly great movie.

There's another one on NAT GEO called The Last Days of OBL, has a lot of the drone footage of the helicopter hard landing- cool stuff got me to searching out more details seems the movie was fairly accurate, though the character of Maya was a composite of a group of women called The Sisters, who really kept up the hunt- the raid footage was also claimed accurate aside from details like the breed of the dog.

I"m watching the BBC Office, ( original 2000 ) I haven't got cable or Sat, so scour local charities for cheap VCD's Season one cd was wiped- drag. Season two VERY funny stuff as the Christmas specials.

He died in the end anyway..................tongue.png

dam_n it! You're supposed to say "spoiler alert"!

Also this one from national Geo channel. SEAL TEAM SIX: THE RAID ON OSAMA BIN LADEN

I have seen both and in many ways I preferred the National Geo version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vtiaNqtv4

Reluctant Fundamentalist, I just finished viewing.

Not bad, and definitely worth watching.

Still, there is nothing that can redeem Sutherland from his weird disaster, "Flatliners".

Sutherland will take that flick Flatliners to his grave.

And then wake up again.

So it can die again.

And again.

And again.

Odd Thomas, I tried it and could only manage the first 10 minutes.

Now I've switched to Donnie Darko. Director's Cut. It is being sent over as I speak.

I thought there might be a hint of hope for that Oddity Thomas, just because Willem Dafoe deigned to grace it.

But never mind, we will remember Dafoe for great things like this:

Boondock Saints - Firefight EXTENDED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfXuNJxWw88

Just finished watching a documentary called The Imposter which is based around a missing

13 year old boy from Texas. Three years later, the family gets a called from the police in Spain

saying he has been found.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966604/?ref_=sr_1

A superb film that frankly, if it wasn't true, I wouldn't have believed it.

If it wasn't true, you wouldn't have believed it? I think that's generally a good rule of thumb actually...

:)

It's very good indeed. Got a lot of deserved critical praise and awards. Very much of the Errol Morris school of documentaries, in some respects (which is a good thing, of course).

Just finished watching a documentary called The Imposter which is based around a missing

13 year old boy from Texas. Three years later, the family gets a called from the police in Spain

If it wasn't true, you wouldn't have believed it? I think that's generally a good rule of thumb actually...

smile.png

It's very good indeed. Got a lot of deserved critical praise and awards. Very much of the Errol Morris school of documentaries, in some respects (which is a good thing, of course).

"If it wasn't true, you wouldn't have believed it? I think that's generally a good rule of thumb actually..."

smile.png

I just knew that didn't sound right when I typed it. What I meant was, if it was just a movie, not a doco,

I would've found it far fetched.

I'm not sure if that sounds betterrolleyes.gif

Posted Image

"If it wasn't true, you wouldn't have believed it? I think that's generally a good rule of thumb actually..."

Posted Image

I just knew that didn't sound right when I typed it. What I meant was, if it was just a movie, not a doco,

I would've found it far fetched.

I'm not sure if that sounds betterPosted Image

Yeah, I know what you meant and I still do. I was just being a bit of a smart ass - as is my occasional tendency. Sorry!

And I agree - it would be way too far fetched to work as fiction.

@Bookman, They only aired the US version in the UK. I just bought the box set to laugh all over again but i didn't want to gamble on the Australian version in case it wasn't as good. Jason Gann steals the show.

Also, An Idiot Aboad 3: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2150623/ is hilarious.Season 3 is by far the funniest.

Watched the first series of the American one, it was ok. The Australian one is much much funnier. Maybe the American one got better after the first series though and I did not give it enough of a chance?

"Luther", season 3, has just started on BBC. Idris Elba is fantastic as DCI John Luther. Still amazed how good he was as "Stringer" Bell in "The Wire".

I watched Season 1 and found it didn't quite click for me. It sounds like it might have improved into Season 2 and 3?

The Wire...i loved that series. Like the product it features, quite addictive

Just finished watching season 3 of Game of Thrones. I was holding off until I had all the episodes (then I went offshore). Mate just brought them out so watched the whole thing in about 3 days.

There was a couple of surprises at the end of that series...last couple of episodes.

I don't think I'm giving anything away (for those who have watched season 1 or 2 or none at all) in saying that George R R martin likes to kill off a lot of his characters.

Archived