Video: Farangs driving badly - hunt on for Russian who "did a runner" after nearly mowing down Thai guy

rooster59

Video: Farangs driving badly - hunt on for Russian who "did a runner" after nearly mowing down Thai guy

russian.JPG

Footage posted on Facebook showed a foreign tourist on a motorcycle enter the grounds of a temple, nearly sideswipe a Thai man then plow into a bike and a parked vehicle.

The poster of the footage - Phil Bedford who says that he is an aerial photographer on his page - claimed that the police were looking for the rider who "did a runner" (British parlance meaning fled the scene).

A Thai person posted a passport picture of a Russian woman in comments. There was also a police report.

The picture showed her as Irina Rozhnova, 33. 

The incident seems to have have happened on Koh Samui where the poster lives. 

According to a comment it may have happened near the tourist beach of Lamai.

no licence never ridden a bike before, i have said before, a young russsian girl wanted to hire a scooter from our condo (got 3 for hire) manager says have you got a licence, of course the answer was YES, did not even know how to do a helmet up, and this is what we see on the roads every day, its bad enough with the stupid thai riding ability without having to cope with idiots who have never been on a motorised vehicle before.

i would have thought IRENA was a females name, ?? AS THE REPORT SAID  so where did you lot get the HE from, like a load of sheep, i bet most of you dont even read the posting before firing off a reply

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

no licence never ridden a bike before, i have said before, a young russsian girl wanted to hire a scooter from our condo (got 3 for hire) manager says have you got a licence, of course the answer was YES, did not even know how to do a helmet up, and this is what we see on the roads every day, its bad enough with the stupid thai riding ability without having to cope with idiots who have never been on a motorised vehicle before.

So ALL thais are bad riders.

No stereotyping here then

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

So ALL thais are bad riders.

No stereotyping here then

Well its fair to say that most are quite appalling and 95% would almost certainly fail a driving test in a 1st world country.

Still, its rather a shame that all offenders are not chased as vigorously as this particular tourist because "doing a runner" here after an accident appears to be a national pastime.

But hey, if thats stereotyping then so be it because its absolutely true.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The poster of the footage - Phil Bedford who says that he is an aerial photographer on his page - claimed that the police were looking for the rider who "did a runner" (British parlance meaning fled the scene).

Did this really need to be translated?

"Still, its rather a shame that all offenders are not chased as vigorously as this particular tourist because "doing a runner" here after an accident appears to be a national pastime."

When my pillion and I were stopped doing a right turn in Pattaya, a Thai man in a pickup hit us. He stopped, walked over and saw we were unconscious and sped off. Not one Thai person got his number. Yes, a national pastime and a disgrace.! 

I was almost hit by one of that kind of inexperienced motorbike tourists on Koh Samui, a young man however, who plowed through a gasoline station when I was filling air in my tyres. Luckily my passenger had opened a car door – I could not see the young man on the motorbike, as I was sitting by a front wheel – so he instead plowed into the door that luckily was strong enough to stop him...:shock1:

We unfortunately see lots of folks that should not have been on a motorbike in Samui's traffic. Another, also young guy, almost jumped his big bike out over the sidewalk and in front of my car. He was lucky to spare his life, because I drove slowly in a queue line at Bo Phut traffic light. Seems like these youngsters cannot control the speeder-handler and hit a brake...:whistling:

Luckily no one was hit in this last case. I hope the lady has a good insurance, and a drivers license, so the insurance covers her damages; and also that she learnt a lesson...:wink:

8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Well that's the fault of the renters they just want to make money and law enforcement is weak here in Thailand. And no i don't advocate implementing more laws to "solve" problems as that does not usually help, it just increases the size of government.

However, in this case Thailand could do one of two things: follow the examples of various cities in Cambodia/Myanmar and just ban the rental of motorcycles/scooters to tourists period. Or two: enforce the rule that all tourists need to have a valid motorcycle licence (either Thai or foreign) in order to rent a bike. I think number two would be best. The rental shop could make it's own rules rather than waiting for the government to introduce a law - which would be to simply prevent unlicenced riders from hiring a bike. Their shop their rules. Simple really. That's what I'd do.

31 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I was almost hit by one of that kind of inexperienced motorbike tourists on Koh Samui, a young man however, who plowed through a gasoline station when I was filling air in my tyres. Luckily my passenger had opened a car door – I could not see the young man on the motorbike, as I was sitting by a front wheel – so he instead plowed into the door that luckily was strong enough to stop him...:shock1:

We unfortunately see lots of folks that should not have been on a motorbike in Samui's traffic. Another, also young guy, almost jumped his big bike out over the sidewalk and in front of my car. He was lucky to spare his life, because I drove slowly in a queue line at Bo Phut traffic light. Seems like these youngsters cannot control the speeder-handler and hit a brake...:whistling:

Luckily no one was hit in this last case. I hope the lady has a good insurance, and a drivers license, so the insurance covers her damages; and also that she learnt a lesson...:wink:

If she had a drivers (riders) licence, she'd be able to control the bike better. So I'm going out on a limb and assume like 95% of all farang and foreign tourists that rent bikes in SE Asia, that she doesn't have a motorcycle licence.

4 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Find this women and award her citizenship asap. Clearly she was born to be thai

she is just riding the bike like 70% as all Thais do. Trying to one of the crowd I guess or been watching thais drivers in action and trying to copycat them

4 hours ago, biggles45 said:

"Still, its rather a shame that all offenders are not chased as vigorously as this particular tourist because "doing a runner" here after an accident appears to be a national pastime."

When my pillion and I were stopped doing a right turn in Pattaya, a Thai man in a pickup hit us. He stopped, walked over and saw we were unconscious and sped off. Not one Thai person got his number. Yes, a national pastime and a disgrace.! 

If you were unconscious and with no mention of support from the likes of CCTV how can you be sure who saw what?

10 hours ago, carmine said:

Well its fair to say that most are quite appalling and 95% would almost certainly fail a driving test in a 1st world country.

Still, its rather a shame that all offenders are not chased as vigorously as this particular tourist because "doing a runner" here after an accident appears to be a national pastime.

But hey, if thats stereotyping then so be it because its absolutely true.

Why do so many Thais believe that wearing a surgical mask is a good substitute for wearing a helmet? Or maybe they just want to be prepared for when they are admitted to ER.

8 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

she is just riding the bike like 70% as all Thais do. Trying to one of the crowd I guess or been watching thais drivers in action and trying to copycat them

Nonsense, Thai kids learn to ride bikes when their 10 years old, not saying they are any good , but they are more experienced than this Russian rider.  When you know that every local man or woman ride a bike in this country I would say the majority knows how to ride.  

10 hours ago, jimster said:
10 hours ago, khunPer said:

If she had a drivers (riders) licence, she'd be able to control the bike better.

Errrrmmmm, a lot of people, in this country, have a licence and still can't control a vehicle :whistling:

18 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i would have thought IRENA was a females name, ?? AS THE REPORT SAID  so where did you lot get the HE from, like a load of sheep, i bet most of you dont even read the posting before firing off a reply

..educate us please!...baaa.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I've never rented a motorcycle.  I have rented horses.  They like to throw the rider and head back to the barn. 

..i always mount my Click on the left side..mine has thrown me a couple of times.

20 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Another idiot who comes to Thailand, and having probably never ridden a motorbike in his life, rents one, only to crash it. 

Just joining in with the "local idiot drivers/riders"? :whistling:

7 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Why do so many Thais believe that wearing a surgical mask is a good substitute for wearing a helmet? Or maybe they just want to be prepared for when they are admitted to ER.

Huh?  Maybe it has to do with "pollution" rather than safety? 

There is a law regarding the hire of vehicles whereby the hirer must produce a valid licence for said vehicle unfortunately like all laws in this country they are not enforced by the RTP. And of course the owner is not in a hurry to check licence as he/she is there to make money. At least the rider was wearing a helmet

4 hours ago, balo said:

Nonsense, Thai kids learn to ride bikes when their 10 years old, not saying they are any good , but they are more experienced than this Russian rider.  When you know that every local man or woman ride a bike in this country I would say the majority knows how to ride.  

Correct

9 hours ago, balo said:

Balo you are right Thais kids know how to ride a bike but do they know the road rules and how to ride a bike in a safe manner.  It's like learning how to cut a piece of timber with an electric saw. Its easy everybody can do it. But when they are cutting the timber do they the dangers and what could happen by cutting this piece of timber. They won't if nobody has shown them the risks Just like Thai bike riders. How many actually know the dangers they might come across riding that bike

Archived