Video: Farangs driving badly - hunt on for Russian who "did a runner" after nearly mowing down Thai guy

rooster59

9 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Errrrmmmm, a lot of people, in this country, have a licence and still can't control a vehicle :whistling:

IN general vehicle control is excellent here, it is the lack of traffic understanding that kills.

7 hours ago, a977 said:

There is a law regarding the hire of vehicles whereby the hirer must produce a valid licence for said vehicle unfortunately like all laws in this country they are not enforced by the RTP. And of course the owner is not in a hurry to check licence as he/she is there to make money. At least the rider was wearing a helmet

Is there such a law?

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

Balo you are right Thais kids know how to ride a bike but do they know the road rules and how to ride a bike in a safe manner.  It's like learning how to cut a piece of timber with an electric saw. Its easy everybody can do it. But when they are cutting the timber do they the dangers and what could happen by cutting this piece of timber. They won't if nobody has shown them the risks Just like Thai bike riders. How many actually know the dangers they might come across riding that bike

Indeed though much of it is down to the method of learning (if available) rather than what. Someone may know because of rote learning that it is dangerous to overtake on a blind curve when doing 45kmh but ask if the same applies when doing 55 or 35 and they have no idea. 

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

IN general vehicle control is excellent here, it is the lack of traffic understanding that kills.

Go to Chiang Mai. Most do not know how to make a turn or reverse. I have the impression that the DL exam in CMai consists in starting the car, operating the A/C and locating the phone charger.

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

Is there such a law?

Recently, as per other thread, there is a policy to enforce scooter rentals to check for DL before they rent. In Phuket at least for now, let's hope it extends.

When I rented a few days ago from my usual guy, he confirmed that he would be fined 2,000B each time the police finds out that one of his renters does not have a DL, and, more importantly, after 3 strikes they can close his business.

He showed me his receipt book, he had to write down the DL numbers for each contract he had made.

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

Oh really!!!  Ever seen a Thai trying to park, reverse into a gap?  Excellent is it!!!!!!!!!  Its so bad its frightening to watch.  

Honestly, how can you come on here and make such a statement is beyond me!!

On 5/5/2018 at 4:45 PM, bsdthai said:

Find this women and award her citizenship asap. Clearly she was born to be thai

Precisely... Imagine the resources required if there was a 'Manhunt' for every incident like this that a Thai does every minute of every hour of every Day :coffee1:

On 06/05/2018 at 8:01 AM, a977 said:

There is a law regarding the hire of vehicles whereby the hirer must produce a valid licence for said vehicle unfortunately like all laws in this country they are not enforced by the RTP. And of course the owner is not in a hurry to check licence as he/she is there to make money. At least the rider was wearing a helmet

I've heard the hospitals on Samui are trying to get this law quashed :cheesy: 

I see it all the time, every day but it is not just the tourists .......

There are seriously bad riders and drivers on Samui, most of the locals and those from asian country's have absolutely no idea of how to ride or drive safely.

LOL, this lady shouldn't be in charge of anything with a motor on it, the guy can consider himself lucky that she was only on a motorcycle....panic...more throttle, more throttle

When in worry, or in doubt, panic, shout and run about !...but preferably not whilst on a motorised vehicle...LOL...bless her, although I fail to see how she did a runner if the guy identified her from her passport, or was he the guy that rented her it, which would be nice and ironic?

At the risk of being accused as sexist, the ladies aren't displaying great riding co-ordination recently.

10 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

lthough I fail to see how she did a runner if the guy identified her from her passport, or was he the guy that rented her it, which would be nice and ironic?

All rentals on Samui has the telephone number of the renter clearly visible. Dooh. 

6 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Dooh

I am at a loss as to what Digital Out Of Home has got to do with any of this, however very enlightening and sensible of them to have the renters details on the bikes :)

1 hour ago, TheLobster said:

Sure, but do you think that the Thai riders and drivers are any less idiotic?

The answer to your comment seems quite obvious my dear fellow poster.

But the topic here was on a stupid farang driver, from which my initial comment.

The steps being taken in Phuket are a good start to try and stop the carnage on the roads.

Here on Samui I try and talk guests out of renting a bike. My talk goes along the lines of :-

Thailand has the most dangerous roads in the world for death in motorbike accident (WHO)

Samui is the most dangerous place in Thailand for same.

Last published figures that I saw for death in motorbike accident on Samui was more than 500 per year. This figure was ONLY for those who died at the scene of the accident. It did not include those that died later in the ambulance or at the hospital. The real number is higher.

If guests still want to rent a bike, I recommend a rental company with a conscience. The owner will ask the guest two questions. If the answer to either is no - he will not rent to them. Questions are

Have you ridden a bike/scooter before?

Can you show me a driving licence?

This may only be a small step towards making Samui's roads safer, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:16 PM, observer90210 said:

Another farang idiot misbehaving in Thailand..

23 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Sure, but do you think that the Thai riders and drivers are any less idiotic?

22 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The answer to your comment seems quite obvious my dear fellow poster.

But the topic here was on a stupid farang driver, from which my initial comment.

It didn't seem obvious and wasn't posted, but I'm not the brightest button in the box.

Also I would like to ask you if you consider your use of the 'farang' word is derogatory?

On 5/9/2018 at 9:33 AM, Tropicalevo said:

The steps being taken in Phuket are a good start to try and stop the carnage on the roads.

Here on Samui I try and talk guests out of renting a bike. My talk goes along the lines of :-

Thailand has the most dangerous roads in the world for death in motorbike accident (WHO)

Samui is the most dangerous place in Thailand for same.

Last published figures that I saw for death in motorbike accident on Samui was more than 500 per year. This figure was ONLY for those who died at the scene of the accident. It did not include those that died later in the ambulance or at the hospital. The real number is higher.

If guests still want to rent a bike, I recommend a rental company with a conscience. The owner will ask the guest two questions. If the answer to either is no - he will not rent to them. Questions are

Have you ridden a bike/scooter before?

Can you show me a driving licence?

This may only be a small step towards making Samui's roads safer, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

I really do not believe it about the questions....

Archived