Video: Find these nasty farang thieves - there's a 5,000 baht reward if you do.

rooster59

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jay72 said:

I'm not defending the thieves but it's a stupid place to leave an expensive phone.

Maybe the owner did not know it had been left there

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

There are a lot of people out there that could take offence with that generalization, in that if someone saw an unattended phone their first reaction would be to steal it.

I have been here for quite a while and can honestly say that the vast majority of Thais that I know here would have handed that in to the reception. That would include everyone from the lowest paid painter's assistant to MDs/CEOs.

I say the majority above for a reason; it doesn't matter where you are in the world, you will always get a few that break the rules and make their first action to steal.

But not everybody.

while handing the iphone in to the reception desk would have been the right thing to do, the chances that a others including thais would have done that is not all that great. I was in a nice upmarket restaurant that was a bit too expensive for the average thai, when we left after paying I forgot to pick up my reading glasses in their case, they cost me several hundred dollars in Australia. The waiter saw them and realized I had forgotten them so went and picked them up, the people at the table next to it tried to claim them as theirs and started arguing with the waiter and were still arguing when I went back in a few minutes later after realizing what I had done. When they saw me they got up and left but not before myself and my wife heard what they were trying to claim, the waiter smiled at me and gave me the glasses and I thanked him, I also gave him a few hundred baht for his honesty. When we went back outside the ones that had tried to claim my glasses were getting into their beemer and gave me a really dirty look so I flipped the bird at them and told them what they could do. Not every thai is honest as not every farang is honest, thankfully though there are always good along with the bad, just not in this case, hope they are caught and made to pay

32 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

Ah... another French-hating Thaivisa member ... great, so the tension is released and you won't have to take your pills today, mate.

Thank you Thaivisa for allowing all those lovely brigades (Thai Bashers, Hang'em Highers, French Haters, Islam Haters, etc) to release the intolerable pressure they have to deal with on a daily basis because the world is so stupid it doesn't understand that they are RIGHT. And why are they right ? Because.

sorry, i think you think to mutt sir.

just thought it be interesting to "pick the nationality" as it were nothing to do with hating the French.

actually looking at them again i change my mind. i actually think they look a bit Aussy

I'm with the couple of posters in that the phone will be locked as soon as it's discovered missing.  There was a case in the news recently where someone's phone went missing at a service centre.  The phone was tracked to the guy's home and he was arrested.  A few years ago my son left his Ipad outside a 7/11 while he was using the ATM.  Once again, it was tracked and a motorcycle taxi was arrested.

Having said all that, what is the point of nicking a phone??

1 hour ago, Vermor said:

As well as I don't get why we call that "stealing from a staff"....It looks like a "lost phone". The 1st person responsible ( ouh what a strange word in LOS) is the one who let the phone there! 
Of course, it doesn't mean that the behaviour of the couple is good...

If you think that is how we should treat this situation then you won't mind if I "find" your car parked in the street and take it, as it would obviously have been a lost car.

How you can defend these scumbag thieves by blaming the victim is unbelievable. Your parents really screwed up in your moral education.

Decent people would try to give the "lost" phone back to it's owner not STEAL IT.

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Having said all that, what is the point of nicking a phone??

Maybe it's a quick way to get lots of new and interesting friends?

I find it curious how they team played the manoeuvre as if it was a habit to them.

4 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Anyone dumb enough to leave an expensive phone lying around deserves it to be nicked.  I've done it twice.

I like the way you worded that but still do not agree with you.

Everyone will leave items unattended now and then - sunglasses are my weakness. Intelligence is not foolproof.

33 minutes ago, Jay72 said:

I'm not defending the thieves but it's a stupid place to leave an expensive phone.

The least distracted person could be absent-minded once in a thousand times, without having to fear of these vultures.:coffee1:

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

Ah... another French-hating Thaivisa member ... great, so the tension is released and you won't have to take your pills today, mate.

Thank you Thaivisa for allowing all those lovely brigades (Thai Bashers, Hang'em Highers, French Haters, Islam Haters, etc) to release the intolerable pressure they have to deal with on a daily basis because the world is so stupid it doesn't understand that they are RIGHT. And why are they right ? Because.

you forgot to mention those "filthy backpackers"

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

I don´t get it. I was raised to react in a different way. If I found something laying like that, I would go and leave it at the reception. I thought that was common sense.
However, today we appearently heve grown ups in disguise of normal family travellers, that suddenly get a kick out of stealing.

Another thing that I for my life can´t get. Still nobody understands that there are cameras and webcams everywhere today. Stupidity out of enormuos proportions.

Criminals are often of low intelligence or just so-called normal people, acting on the spur of the moment out of greed, behaving stupidly.  Most criminals commit each crime on the assumption that they will not be caught. Consequences or punishment then never figure in the plan.  (If there was one.)

Now was there not a story not long ago where by a Tourist put his phone down to pay for some goods.

And a National Women took his phone and refused to give it back even when police ordered her too

Unless he paid she would not give it back 

This couple are scum too 

5 minutes ago, WHYWHY said:

Now was there not a story not long ago where by a Tourist put his phone down to pay for some goods.

And a National Women took his phone and refused to give it back even when police ordered her too

This couple are scum too 

4 minutes ago, WHYWHY said:

This couple are scum too 

There was, yes , why did you mention that story ?

39 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Read the post again.

Isnt he perhaps saying that he nicked phones twice that were left lying around.

Shame on you cranky :cheesy:

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt ? 

i think us old uns are old school , last week at city hospital i found an i phone outside on the bench, not for one minute did i think of taking it, i went inside to find the grateful young lady owner, the number of times i see girls  leave their expensive phone to go to the loo, i say , would you leave 20,00 baht on the table, that gets them thinking hopefully, (well for a couple of seconds) lol

Archived