BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Crackdown on illegal foreigners: Many claiming to be students to get fake visas

Crackdown on illegal foreigners: Many claiming to be students to get fake visas

561000004577301.JPEG

Image: Manager

As the crackdown on illegal foreigners in Thailand continues it has emerged that many of those arrested are conniving with language schools to get fake visas so they can stay in Thailand on a yearly basis.

The scam - that Thaivisa understands has been going on for years - is well understood by the Thai police and their top crime buster Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal who yesterday reported more arrests.

Manager said that a total of 1,088 had been arrested in the crackdown. Surachet, the deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau, said there had been more than 3,000 raids over the last year.

Thaivisa understands that there has been confusion in the Thai media that many of those arrested were teachers. The reality is that they are foreigners masquerading as students who get long visas then commit crime in Thailand.

And they certainly don't attend classes.

They are able to get year long visas instead of a much shorter period.

Several language schools and what is loosely termed as "international" schools are now set to face charges after the Thai police operating under the "X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner" banner have uncovered a network of illegal activity that includes staff of the schools themselves and corrupt immigration officials. 

Charges are soon to be laid that refer to the alleged falsification of visas on behalf of foreigners.

Manager reported that many of those arrested were "people of color" with Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra Leone named as countries where the bogus students hail from. 

Time will tell whether Maj Gen Surachet - known by the affectionate moniker of Big Joke in the Thai media after a series of high profile busts - will be able to nail alleged corrupt officials in immigration that is a section of the Thai police itself.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-05

561000004577302.JPEG

561000004577303.JPEG

Thai made fake visas to foreigners. Why are only the latters are arrested? Get them all... Come on Big joke! 

So TEFL teachers took the usual pasting from Thai Visa bigots.  Enough of the crazy arguments about illegal teachers being rife in Thai schools.

So just get immigration to check the teaching ability of any African's with a teaching visa on arrival. Should not be hard to figure out who's  a fake. Pay me a salary and I'll do it myself.

Who came up with the name Big Joke, this man is far from being a joke. I hope Surachet is allowed to continue, he creates an impression that a part of the Thai police force might be redeemable. I also hope he is VERY careful, accidents happen in the strangest ways.

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

So TEFL teachers took the usual pasting from Thai Visa bigots.  Enough of the crazy arguments about illegal teachers being rife in Thai schools.

Are you not used to it by now "MB"?

All those experts on education (they know all about it - after all, they went to school for years back along) posting from an altitude of 1.2 metres - the median height of a Pattaya bar stool!

:smile:

"Language schools" are one of the biggest visa mills in Thailand allowing

thousands upon thousand of mickey mouse people to come and stay in 

Thailand legally, and i wonder why it took the authorities many years to wake

up to it...

this article is clearer but stillnot the whole truth. There are teachers from this site stating that their schools were visited to make sure their visa/permits were correct. Schools that is not language schools. So who is telling the truth? I am going 100% with the teachers in this site telling the truth and the tourist police trying to calm the panic 

While the education visa is a little more checked up on than it used to be, large chunks of people get it, as it is very simple to get and renew for years and years. Many of the so called schools don't care if you turn up or not, as long as they have been paid. A friend of mine had one for 10 years and used to attend the school once or twice a month if that. Much less hoops to jump through than for retirement or other visas, so hardly surprising that it has been abused, often with the collaboration of immigration staff, who also get a bung, to let questionable applications through.

35 minutes ago, humbug said:

this article is clearer but stillnot the whole truth. There are teachers from this site stating that their schools were visited to make sure their visa/permits were correct. Schools that is not language schools. So who is telling the truth? I am going 100% with the teachers in this site telling the truth and the tourist police trying to calm the panic 

Well I've been following these stories, and whilst there have been plenty of posts from teachers complaining about their schools help (or lack of) in the visa/work permit process, I only recall one (a one-liner which seemed to me rather tongue in cheek) reference to immigration coming to "his school" to look for him.

38 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Who came up with the name Big Joke, this man is far from being a joke. I hope Surachet is allowed to continue, he creates an impression that a part of the Thai police force might be redeemable. I also hope he is VERY careful, accidents happen in the strangest ways.

Big Joke was a nick name given to him by Thai language media. 

And like you say he is far from a joke.

This week alone he has overseen:

ED visa crackdown

illegal foreigners

A shady condo developer in Phuket targeting foreigners

Street racers

Drug bust at a Bangkok bar

Call centre scammers

Shady cosmetics operation
Fraudulent tour companies
Romance scam targeting a Chinese woman
Survanabhumbi thief
Man impersonating police officer threatening Indian tourist

He's doing real police work - lots of it

7 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

While the education visa is a little more checked up on than it used to be, large chunks of people get it, as it is very simple to get and renew for years and years. Many of the so called schools don't care if you turn up or not, as long as they have been paid. A friend of mine had one for 10 years and used to attend the school once or twice a month if that. Much less hoops to jump through than for retirement or other visas, so hardly surprising that it has been abused, often with the collaboration of immigration staff, who also get a bung, to let questionable applications through.

When I first came to live here I decided to take some Thai language lessons. I paid in advance for a series of lessons. The proprietor of the "school" explained that she could (for a fee) arrange a visa for me. She pushed it hard, even showing me photographs of herself with a number of Immigration Officers. I explained that I had a perfectly valid visa. She rather gave me the impression that she could cause trouble with Immigration if I didn't do so.

When the time came to discuss a further course of lessons she suddenly decided that she was 'too busy".

Whats crazy about that, unless your one.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So Mr Big Joke is gaining celebrity status by doing what the other members of the RTP are not doing, their job.

I see his intrepid crime busting is selective and populist, and to complete the picture he has an attractive sidekick.

Just now, Oziex1 said:

So Mr Big Joke is gaining celebrity status by doing what the other members of the RTP are not doing, their job.

I see his intrepid crime busting is selective and populist, and to complete the picture he has an attractive sidekick.

Who is a fluent English speaker