French couple arrested over theft of iPhone in Chiang Mai

rooster59

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, smedly said:

What exact point are you attempting to make, what a weird post, I am certain if you had your 1200EURO iPhone stolen by these scumbags you'd be wanting them caught and punished, a crime is a crime

Absolutely. And petty theft like this, of someone's personal property is particularly mean and nasty. People are reliant on their personal phones for many things, like OTP's SMS's from banks and other on-line sites etc. Headache to change things as well as the expense and inconvenience. Good the police recovered it and arrested these shameful scum.

Usual arrogance in refusing to co-operate and demanding they speak only to their Embassy. Do they still think it's the age of colonial powers who will get their citizens out of trouble with a snap of the fingers? 

Pair of opportunist thieves who should be dealt with accordingly.

The 5,000 Thb reward,certainly got the police going,sprung

into action and got their man and woman,just pleased the

culprits were French and not British.

regards worgeordie

33 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Absolutely. And petty theft like this, of someone's personal property is particularly mean and nasty. People are reliant on their personal phones for many things, like OTP's SMS's from banks and other on-line sites etc. Headache to change things as well as the expense and inconvenience. Good the police recovered it and arrested these shameful scum.

Usual arrogance in refusing to co-operate and demanding they speak only to their Embassy. Do they still think it's the age of colonial powers who will get their citizens out of trouble with a snap of the fingers? 

Pair of opportunist thieves who should be dealt with accordingly.

More 'colonial' claptrap merely highlighting igrorance of the convention to which both countries have signed.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now we all can let out a sigh of relief that the arch criminals were caught

and the country is back to be what it was before this heinous crime, a

lawful and obedient country...

I'll never understand these types of comments. Are you suggesting that we don't arrest petty criminals as long as there are other crimes being carried out in Thailand? Should we just let them slide? Has anyone claimed that there aren't any other crimes in Thailand or that this is one of the worst offenses? If not, who are you arguing against? Or is it just an attempt at getting some cheap internet points by passive-aggressively bashing the police/Thailand/commenters?

The reason the case has gotten attention in media is that they have been asking for people's help in identifying and catching the thieves, not that it's the worst crime imaginable.

Sorry but I do not understand ? They took a phone that they found somewhere without anybody around, but it is considered as a theft ? It's not like if they took if from somebody bag or pocket.

Also, what do you expect that would happen ? They just paid the fine and took their plane back home !

They didn't kill anybody or didn't carry drug.

So grabbing cars left on the street would not be theft either? Or grabbing a laptop from a coffee shop table when the owner steps away to order another cup. Genius

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Curious about how they were caught at the airport.

I'm assuming they were dumb and traveling together and didn't alter their appearance by dying their hair or anything.

They had a clear video so easy to catch that way.

But are the Thai police using facial recognition technology? 

Suppose they had split up and traveled on different flights and dyed their hair. Would they still have been caught? 

1 hour ago, grkt said:

Sorry but I do not understand ? They took a phone that they found somewhere without anybody around, but it is considered as a theft ? It's not like if they took if from somebody bag or pocket.

Also, what do you expect that would happen ? They just paid the fine and took their plane back home !

Interesting that “they just paid the fine and took the their plane back home!”

I’d like to know the fine. Please provide the source for your update on the update. 

2 hours ago, grkt said:

the mentality of a career criminal 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

The 5,000 Thb reward,certainly got the police going,sprung

into action and got their man and woman,just pleased the

culprits were French and not British.

regards worgeordie

We are not all bad , the lovely French people ( even though they can speak English, German , Italian etc ) often refuse - it’s in their blood - I call it arrogance.

The Embassies/ Consulates around the world offer little help if you are apprended . I think it’s a done deal here. 

We always get the rights warriors - innocent before proven guilty. I totally agree - in this case NO. 

I hope Big Joke will be arriving soon. 

As someone said - for an ordinary Thai - this phone is a vast amount of money - and maybe the little French people should understand- find my IPhone ! 

I believe the original post stated that it was an office that they'd gone into to use the toilet, so they deserve everything they get as we are all caught short sometimes and hope to rely on someone's' hospitality, they have possibly reduced that by at least one. The office worker had a right to leave their phone unattended in their working environment as they obviously trusted their workers and these pair came along and didn't do much towards Thai/farlang relationships. Some time in Thai nick will help the chubby one slim a bit and wiil certainly teach these 2 educators a good lesson.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm assuming they were dumb and traveling together and didn't alter their appearance by dying their hair or anything.

Suppose they had split up and traveled on different flights and dyed their hair. Would they still have been caught? 

If you are flying, you need to look like your passport photo. When entering Thailand through an airport we all pose for a photo at Immigration. Maybe they were caught by name recognition.

5 minutes ago, champers said:

If you are flying, you need to look like your passport photo. When entering Thailand through an airport we all pose for a photo at Immigration. Maybe they were caught by name recognition.

You guys need to read up....they were caught by the iPhone tracker.

Beggars belief that people would be that stupid with most places having CCTV

deserve what is coming to them 

all this does is get Europeans a bad name from some Thais 

Especially stooping so low to steal a mobile phone must be hard up for cash

1 hour ago, Megasin1 said:

You guys need to read up....they were caught by the iPhone tracker.

You are wasting your time there mate.

Some will just continue to ignore what is reported and believe that the two thieves were identified by facial recognition but then the woman grew a beard and the man took his glasses off. This led the taxi driver to report the man's odd behavior by mistaking a passing elephant for his Toyota Altis and insisting Jumbo switch its meter on..

The Police took fingerprints on the elephant's tail and identified them via Interpool as being notorious international mobile phone thieves..and the pair were lured into an impromptu 3some by an undercover female special forces police ranger. With the suspects' excretions in her mouth the officer was able to keep the specimens warm and spat them out into plastic bags to be used in the up cumming court case.....

For any that disbelieve such special constables exist they can be easily identified when in uniform as, instead of a parachute and wings, they have the lips and tongue logo from The Rolling Stones' Sticky Finger album..

11 minutes ago, allen303 said:

Darn, now my dreams about all the beautiful French ladies is shattered. After watching that video I think I may have been misled. My late great father told me how beautiful all the French ladies were during WW2. Now I suspect while marching across France, he may have developed a drinking problem and had one to many bottles of Vino.

But as the country and western song goes, the girls all get prettier at closing time.

Agree! which is the flaw in Jingthing's insistence on facial recognition....Not even a randy goat could manage a facial in this case.....or have I totally misunderstood what he was referring to...????

I believe the original post stated that it was an office that they'd gone into to use the toilet, so they deserve everything they get as we are all caught short sometimes and hope to rely on someone's' hospitality, they have possibly reduced that by at least one. The office worker had a right to leave their phone unattended in their working environment as they obviously trusted their workers and these pair came along and didn't do much towards Thai/farlang relationships. Some time in Thai nick will help the chubby one slim a bit and wiil certainly teach these 2 educators a good lesson.
Best comment. I am ever so grateful when anyone allows me to use their 'facilities'. These people repaid their kindness by stealing from them. They are despicable.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are wasting your time there mate.

Some will just continue to ignore what is reported and believe that the two thieves were identified by facial recognition but then the woman grew a beard and the man took his glasses off. This led the taxi driver to report the man's odd behavior by mistaking a passing elephant for his Toyota Altis and insisting Jumbo switch its meter on..

The Police took fingerprints on the elephant's tail and identified them via Interpool as being notorious international mobile phone thieves..and the pair were lured into an impromptu 3some by an undercover female special forces police ranger. With the suspects' excretions in her mouth the officer was able to keep the specimens warm and spat them out into plastic bags to be used in the up cumming court case.....

For any that disbelieve such special constables exist they can be easily identified when in uniform as, instead of a parachute and wings, they have the lips and tongue logo from The Rolling Stones' Sticky Finger album..
Brilliant!

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You must be joking 555

Thai police and technology in the same sentence :-)

Flame posts and commenting on moderation have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

There is a certain amount of negligence on the woman's part who owns the phone, place it on a footpath anywhere here, how long do you think it would stay there?, do you also persecute who ever picks it up?

granted this was not on a footpath but on a couch in an office, when people see something of value unattended the evil within takes over, [not everyone but certainly not the minority] then the regret later when it's too late, they could have handled it better by offering the young lady compensation and and apology , probably would have been allowed to resume their journey out of chiang mai with a bit of luck.

36 minutes ago, Polaky said:

There is a certain amount of negligence on the woman's part who owns the phone, place it on a footpath anywhere here, how long do you think it would stay there?, do you also persecute who ever picks it up?

granted this was not on a footpath but on a couch in an office, when people see something of value unattended the evil within takes over, [not everyone but certainly not the minority] then the regret later when it's too late, they could have handled it better by offering the young lady compensation and and apology , probably would have been allowed to resume their journey out of chiang mai with a bit of luck.

In the UK there is a law that you may be prosecuted by..Called "Stealing by finding"..

Archived