French couple arrested over theft of iPhone in Chiang Mai

rooster59

3 hours ago, Polaky said:

There is a certain amount of negligence on the woman's part who owns the phone, place it on a footpath anywhere here, how long do you think it would stay there?, do you also persecute who ever picks it up?

granted this was not on a footpath but on a couch in an office, when people see something of value unattended the evil within takes over, [not everyone but certainly not the minority] then the regret later when it's too late, they could have handled it better by offering the young lady compensation and and apology , probably would have been allowed to resume their journey out of chiang mai with a bit of luck.

seriously !!!!!!!! there is no negligence by any meaning of the word

when you find something like a phone on a footpath you either leave it there or hand it in to the police, if you take it with intent to keep it - it is theft simply because you took something that didn't belong to you with the intent of keeping it or in legal speak - with intent to permanently deprive the owner

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if only the RTP could apprehend the Red Bull heir, the famous politcian's son who gunned down an unarmed serving police officer in a nightclub in front of hundreds of witnesses (and then went on to be elected to parliament because the witnesses recanted their stories) and on and on it goes. Just a huge PR exercise. I'm not excusing these petty thieves, and that is what they, but let's get this into some kind of perspective. They did not murder anyone.

3 hours ago, Polaky said:

There is a certain amount of negligence on the woman's part who owns the phone, place it on a footpath anywhere here, how long do you think it would stay there?, do you also persecute who ever picks it up?

granted this was not on a footpath but on a couch in an office, when people see something of value unattended the evil within takes over, [not everyone but certainly not the minority] then the regret later when it's too late, they could have handled it better by offering the young lady compensation and and apology , probably would have been allowed to resume their journey out of chiang mai with a bit of luck.

some minutes of negligence by the owner does not exonerate the thief one bit, especially as in this case he clearly planned it. Or do you think it would be ok to take the furniture just because there's nobody in the room?

The video shows no hesitation in their theft. They saw the phone and immediately covered it with the backpack to steal it. Hope they are banned from Thailand. Not their first theft and appears no remorse.

Hope one day they see the wrong in their actions and get their life back on track by ending their stealing behavior. 

And let's hope that it costs the thieves a considerable amount of money in reparations, lost income and rebooking a flight home.

Shame there's no follow up story as to what has, or is going to, happen to them.

The sofa is in front of a window. I guess they saw the phone when they walked by then cooked up the toilet excuse. You can tell by how quickly they walked straight to the sofa and how the woman looks up at the very moment the man puts the phone in his bag. She is checking to see if they were spotted through the same window.

11 minutes ago, Unsane said:

And let's hope that it costs the thieves a considerable amount of money in reparations, lost income and rebooking a flight home.

Shame there's no follow up story as to what has, or is going to, happen to them.

can't help thinking people are getting their knickers in a twist about this story. yes, it was/is wrong legally and morally wrong to keep something you find that clearly belongs to someone else.

but... it's not a big crime in the scheme of things. if someone found a mobile phone in your home country and did not hand it it and were subsequently caught by the police what would happen? i'm willing to guess it would be a slap on the wrist from the authorities, apology to the owner and maybe a small fine. that's it. no big deal.

let's all calm down.

24 minutes ago, samsensam said:

if someone found a mobile phone in your home country and did not hand it it and were subsequently caught by the police what would happen? 

The thieving duo didn't find the phone, they twocked it.

39 minutes ago, samsensam said:

if someone found a mobile phone in your home country and did not hand it it and were subsequently caught by the police what would happen? i'm willing to guess it would be a slap on the wrist from the authorities, apology to the owner and maybe a small fine.

it was planned petty theft. they didn't "find" it - the phone was on private ground.

and I dislike how my home country handles such things, much too lax.

44 minutes ago, samsensam said:

can't help thinking people are getting their knickers in a twist about this story. yes, it was/is wrong legally and morally wrong to keep something you find that clearly belongs to someone else.

but... it's not a big crime in the scheme of things. if someone found a mobile phone in your home country and did not hand it it and were subsequently caught by the police what would happen? i'm willing to guess it would be a slap on the wrist from the authorities, apology to the owner and maybe a small fine. that's it. no big deal.

let's all calm down.

Stealing by finding and a criminal record if found guilty...What would your job think of that....?

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

let's all calm down.

Finding a phone and stealing a phone are totally different. These people were thieves.. scum.. should be send to jail. Nice try to change the story as if they found the phone. Just look at the video.. that is not finding that is stealing.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

let's all calm down.

What planet are you on?

They stole the phone clear and simple, and you are spouting rubbish saying they found it.

Are you blind? The video clearly shows them stealing it.

It would be best to take early retirement.
I do not see return to work of teachers.
But, apparently, they have no qualms.
Only the national education can decide, or the private school that employs them, to keep them.

3 hours ago, dabhand said:

I believe it is a reference to the progeny of a famous connoisseur of ear medicine with initials of C and Y. 

Bang on. But I'm not going to name the family for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

What planet are you on?

They stole the phone clear and simple, and you are spouting rubbish saying they found it.

Are you blind? The video clearly shows them stealing it.

YOU think that they stole it The fact is that they FOUND it and took it.

Stolen is from someone hands pockets or bag, or even maybe on a desk, not from a sofa.

They are pieces of $hit because they didn't give it back, but they didn't steal it.

Would you give it back if you found on a sofa in a luxury hotel $1 million in a plastic bag ?

19 minutes ago, grkt said:

LOL, a remarkable view, what if it's in a handbag on a sofa (it wasn't in a hotel btw) ?

or how about in your handbag which you had on your shoulder resting on the sofa?

or in your hand which was relaxed on the arm of the sofa?

Personally I will await the police's view of whether or not they are thieves....I don't hold out much hope for your cause...LOL

It could be that you are right, hence the police waited until they had passed the last point of opportunity of returning it at the airport, a bit like the Russian a few weeks ago who found a large bag of money right next to a teller he had tripped over...

12 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

I hope they are enjoying their extended stay whilst awaiting to only speak to the French embassy, it's nice and hot and humid.

Don't they have aircon in the monkey house?  They'll probably try to sue if there isn't.  

2 hours ago, grkt said:

Stolen is from someone hands pockets or bag, or even maybe on a desk, not from a sofa.

They are pieces of $hit because they didn't give it back, but they didn't steal it.

Would you give it back if you found on a sofa in a luxury hotel $1 million in a plastic bag ?

How wrong you are! You will find the law in many countries states   those who find lost property of value must take reasonable steps to return it to the owner. Covering up the item does not constitute taking reasonable steps. A simple phone call from the phone could have identified the proper owner. Or if it was password protected they could have easily dropped it off at a police station.

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

let's all calm down.

Then how do you explain their actions as shown on the video clip?

If you genuinely believe it was no big deal to find the item, why do you think they covered up the phone before putting it in their luggage? Why didn't they simply pick it up and put it in their pocket?

55 minutes ago, midas said:

How wrong you are! You will find the law in many countries states   those who find lost property of value must take reasonable steps to return it to the owner. Covering up the item does not constitute taking reasonable steps. A simple phone call from the phone could have identified the proper owner. Or if it was password protected they could have easily dropped it off at a police station.

"...  they could have easily dropped it off at a police station."

or just dropped it the counter in the very business where they "found" it

These two are a disgrace to Western civilization, their country and their profession. I wish this becomes known at home and hope they will be kicked out of the educational system altogether. A few weeks in the joint will give them the opportunity to reflect on their stupidity!

10 hours ago, sweatalot said:

"...  they could have easily dropped it off at a police station."

or just dropped it the counter in the very business where they "found" it

you are only assuming the business where they found  has any relationship to the owner of the phone.
By doing that there is no guarantee the rightful owner would still get it back.

Archived