French couple arrested over theft of iPhone in Chiang Mai

rooster59

16 hours ago, grkt said:

YOU think that they stole it The fact is that they FOUND it and took it.

Stolen is from someone hands pockets or bag, or even maybe on a desk, not from a sofa.

They are pieces of $hit because they didn't give it back, but they didn't steal it.

Would you give it back if you found on a sofa in a luxury hotel $1 million in a plastic bag ?

You cannot "find" things , if you see some lost or unattended property and you take it, its theft .

You cannot just find things and keep them, you can only steal things and keep them

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The man and woman were clearly working together.  She was the one who put her bag over the phone and while he was the old who slipped it in the backpack, she was holding a magazine or newspaper over the backpack, in an effort to disguise what he was doing and then discarded the item on the coffee table as they left.

There was none of the body language that you'd expect from someone who "found" a phone and would hold it up to ask if it belongs to any of the employees or take it to the reception desk of the business.

Recently, I was at the muang police station filing a report and there was an unattended phone on a table in the waiting area.  It rang several times and no one came to answer it.  I pointed it out to one of the police officers and he just shrugged and didn't make a more to pick it up.  I know that the couple times Hubby or I have "left or dropped" phones, the first thing we do is call that number and both times a friendly person answers, saying they've found the phone and are holding it for us. 

That's the decent thing to do in this situation and had I been in the position of the French couple, I would have willingly turned the phone over to the business staff, knowing what I know about how Thai people usually want to do the right thing.  It probably was a phone of a staff member or a recent customer.  In any event, the business staff would be the best qualified to get the phone back to its owner.

10 minutes ago, NancyL said:

That's the decent thing to do in this situation and had I been in the position of the French couple, I would have willingly turned the phone over to the business staff, knowing what I know about how Thai people usually want to do the right thing. 

In this situation, it would be better to just leave the phone where it is and not touch it.

On Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 11:19 AM, AsiaHand said:

Ah Yes, It is those quality tourist hired as "Teachers" at one of those so called "International" schools .It comes back to the old adage "You get what you pay for".

Now that's a thought AH. I wonder if these teachers steal from their pupils  .

1 minute ago, Prince77 said:

BTW - what about the two American ladies who found some fake 100$? Story over already and I missed it?

No evidence provided that it actually happened and no further updates provided .

Think they raised about $11 000

On 5/6/2018 at 8:04 AM, hagler said:

lol...Im sure the French embassy staff ( well the French Consul in CM anyway) are going to bend over backwards to get em out of this.

All the Embassy can do is ask them if they are being treated fairly and not physically abused. The can give them a list of lawyers in Chiang Mai that have access to french translators and advise family (providing the Thai legal protocol permits that). If they are hoping the French Embassy will argue their case or try and set them free they will be disappointed. They are not permitted to.

17 hours ago, grkt said:

Would you give it back if you found on a sofa in a luxury hotel $1 million in a plastic bag ?

No. But the 1 Million USD wouldn't have a "where is my iPhone' app switched on :cheesy:

6 hours ago, Froggybanrai said:

These two are a disgrace to Western civilization, their country and their profession. 

Jeez, high blood pressure much? Perspective and context - zero points.

Hitler, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Tony Blair, George W, Dick Cheney, Caligula, Pinky and the Brain, Uri Geller  -They are a disgrace to Western Civilisation, these two knobs picked up a 10 000 baht iPhone and will pay for years to come. get a grip.

Completely stupid move, nowadays most people have the find my phone feature turned on and it is impossible to turn off without knowing the icloud password even if you try to wipe the phone and reinstall firmware you cannot do it so whats the point.

50 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Completely stupid move, nowadays most people have the find my phone feature turned on and it is impossible to turn off without knowing the icloud password even if you try to wipe the phone and reinstall firmware you cannot do it so whats the point.

You can clearly do it if you wipe the phone.

And if there is no data or wifi connection the phone won't send its location.

Only people brainwashed by ridiculous apple company still believe this BS.

21 hours ago, grkt said:

You can clearly do it if you wipe the phone.

And if there is no data or wifi connection the phone won't send its location.

Only people brainwashed by ridiculous apple company still believe this BS.

Sorry but you  cannot... You either cannot wipe the phone before entering the icloud password or once you have wiped it you cannot set it up until you enter the password.

Either way it a brick without the icloud password.

On 07/05/2018 at 6:41 PM, grkt said:

Stolen is from someone hands pockets or bag, or even maybe on a desk, not from a sofa.

They are pieces of $hit because they didn't give it back, but they didn't steal it.

Bit like The French Army surrending, because the clutch got stuck on all of their tanks

Remind me not to invite you into my home for you to find a few things.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 06/05/2018 at 11:00 AM, Get Real said:

Hahahaha haha haha! :cheesy: Good for them! They deserve it. :smile:

Bad manor and arrogant attitude too. I just hope they can make an example out of them. Unfortunately it will not happen, but I hope they could get 3 month ad a fine of 30-50K.

I hope they get the same punishment the Thai  would have got if the situation were reversed 

Probably 2 years  minimum for a theft like that

On 07/05/2018 at 1:08 PM, MrJohnson said:

And if only the RTP could apprehend the Red Bull heir, the famous politcian's son who gunned down an unarmed serving police officer in a nightclub in front of hundreds of witnesses (and then went on to be elected to parliament because the witnesses recanted their stories) and on and on it goes. Just a huge PR exercise. I'm not excusing these petty thieves, and that is what they, but let's get this into some kind of perspective. They did not murder anyone.

Most people in Thai jail for less than 5 years are in there for relatively petty crimes

They also did not murder anyone but they still got the book thrown at them

8 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

I hope they get the same punishment the Thai  would have got if the situation were reversed 

Probably 2 years  minimum for a theft like that

2 years for stealing a phone ? How ridiculous can be people think that it will happen ?

1 hour ago, grkt said:

2 years for stealing a phone ? How ridiculous can be people think that it will happen ?

I was given a 2 years suspended sentence for stealing a school text book from a bookshop in 1972...It humiliated my parents and it threatened my education. I have never done such a thing again.So yes 2 years seems fair to me.

21 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I was given a 2 years suspended sentence for stealing a school text book from a bookshop in 1972...It humiliated my parents and it threatened my education. I have never done such a thing again.So yes 2 years seems fair to me.

Where do you come from ? I am sure that I will never go there.

So you support ridiculous laws ? Your right...

Maybe you could have asked that they also cut your hand if the sentence was not enough for you ?

On 5/6/2018 at 9:41 AM, Trujillo said:

What's with the group photo? Looks like a company picnic shot. 

I can't believe that all the people in the photo had something to do with this case. Interesting to see all these BiB taking credit for a "find my phone" app on all iPhones. Sure beats doing police work. 

They took the time to track them down, verify it was the same couple. Are you saying police shouldn't use clues?

Good they good caught. 1 week in jail, 50k baht fine, and a 10 year ban would be good. 

Archived