MAZDA CX5 any owners?

LGMV

Mazda CX5 brings out a new diesel 2.2 AWD this month.

Was considering a Pajero Sport or Everest to put bike in back and travel in upcountry roads

Would CX5 handle a mountain bike put easy in back and handle some tracks in chang Rai etc

It's beautiful car and fun to drive than PJS but has space issue

comments very appreciated

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Thats a new one. Its called the Miata in Europe, older covertable ones are the Boy Racers fav for doing Nurborgring.

Still called an MX5 in Australia and a few other places.

Im have a 2014 cx5 2.2 awd diesel , fantastic car & its not small inside it has a decent sized boot , the rear seats fold down flat just by pulling one lever very easy,diesel engine is brilliant very torquey with plenty of power & good fuel economy with very good handling, pajero is just a pick up with suv body panels

7 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Honda H-RV - small outside, big inside.

Mazda CX5 - big outside, small inside

Pajero - big outside, long inside - ideal for a bike

Interesting spatial analysis.  Any comments on performance, or maybe OP can say why he wants the CX5 so much?

25 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Huh? Why not take the bike to a dealership and try it? :whistling:

I used to carry my bike inside a Hyunda Getz, similar size to a Yaris. It did have a quick release front wheel, so I'd take that off before putting the bike inside.

There was some big hubbub about the diesel CX5's this year and buyers were demanding compensation. Don't have all the details but the SIL has the non diesel and I really like it. I seriously doubt your gonna get a bicycle in it though. I can't even fit my 29" bike in my DMax

3 hours ago, torrzent said:

Interesting spatial analysis.  Any comments on performance, or maybe OP can say why he wants the CX5 so much?

From my limited experience of test drives, H-RV is most car-like to drive, but suspension is typical Honda firm, especially at the rear.

Mazda feels quite sporty, Pajero, not surprisingly, is more truck like.  Everest feels less truck-like to me, and would be my pick, or possibly X-trail.

I put my mountain bike all the time in my 2017 cx5 no problrm. The back seat folds and in it goes. The automatic tail is a great feature and I think this model in the states is 2.5 liter so more than Thailand. Great car! 

If you fold the seats, bikes fit really easily. Otherwise you'd probably have to remove at least the front wheel. I second the suggestion to take your bike to a dealer and try loading it.

Difficult to get a good off-road tire in the 19" size, but if you switch to the 17" from the base CX5, there are a lot of good tires available that make the CX5 a surprisingly capable vehicle for light-medium off-roading.

It's unclear what engine differences the new body style has with the old - last gen's diesel engine has some chronic fatal issue, seems to pop up around 100-130k for most people. Mazda is informally covering them on warranty out to 6yr/180k, after owners protested. A bunch of owners who had the engine failure went to Motor Show and propped up their hoods at the door, making Mazda "look bad" and prompting Mazda Thailand to sue them. Such is the state of customer rights in Thailand - thread was here:

Check out the Thai, Australian, and US CX5 clubs on FB, all have pretty good communities there with a lot of good info.

Why diesel in 2018? Because the diesel has over 400Nm torque, and is a joy to drive.

15 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Honda H-RV - small outside, big inside.

Mazda CX5 - big outside, small inside

Pajero - big outside, long inside - ideal for a bike

As I compared: CX5 is bigger outside AND Inside than the HR-V.

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

If you fold the seats, bikes fit really easily. Otherwise you'd probably have to remove at least the front wheel. I second the suggestion to take your bike to a dealer and try loading it.

Difficult to get a good off-road tire in the 19" size, but if you switch to the 17" from the base CX5, there are a lot of good tires available that make the CX5 a surprisingly capable vehicle for light-medium off-roading.

It's unclear what engine differences the new body style has with the old - last gen's diesel engine has some chronic fatal issue, seems to pop up around 100-130k for most people. Mazda is informally covering them on warranty out to 6yr/180k, after owners protested. A bunch of owners who had the engine failure went to Motor Show and propped up their hoods at the door, making Mazda "look bad" and prompting Mazda Thailand to sue them. Such is the state of customer rights in Thailand - thread was here:

Check out the Thai, Australian, and US CX5 clubs on FB, all have pretty good communities there with a lot of good info.

Why diesel in 2018? Because the diesel has over 400Nm torque, and is a joy to drive.

"The customers had said two Mazda car models – XD High Plus and Sky Active" is wrong in the linked Article. Its ONE Model: Mazda 2 XD Skyactive. These 1,5l Dieselengines has a thermic Problem. So no worries with CX5 Mazdas 2,2l Diesel. 

The article is wrong in many ways, but the 2.2L diesel in the previous gen is absolutely affected. I have firsthand knowledge of 2 failures with my relatives cars, both covered under the new 6yr/180k warranty extension, one just last month. My own only has 60k so I know it's coming - the service tech was also quite bluntly honest about it when asked, said we should expect the failure to occur.

19 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

As I compared: CX5 is bigger outside AND Inside than the HR-V.

Yes of course - it's from a vehicle class above.  But usable interior of H-RV is only a little smaller than the Mazda, even though the H-RV is really a Jazz on stilts.  

H-RV is really in CX3 sector, so you should compare C-RV to MX5 and the truck based Pajero and Everest.  

thanks, don't have the bike yet,  but would obviously borrow before buying to try it out, but thought would ask any owners, seems at least one owner gets the bike in no problem

Pajero is obviously more functional but what attracts to the CX5 is that it is a fun car to drive lots of torque and would probably be a much better runaround for day to day use. 

one thing that is a bit disappointing is that there appears to be no side cameras in the CX5 that project onto the monitor so that you can clearly see motorbikes approaching from the rear side, the Pajero and the CRV have this function, but this would be small sacrifice compared to the more pleasurable drive

Archived