MAZDA CX5 any owners?

LGMV

Rented a Pajero for a month, and you aren't kidding, the driving experience and the ride is rubbish compared to the CX5. One is based on a sedan, the other is based on the truck, and they each drive like it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Rented a Pajero for a month, and you aren't kidding, the driving experience and the ride is rubbish compared to the CX5. One is based on a sedan, the other is based on the truck, and they each drive like it.

Slightly OT - I believe that Pajero is Spanish slang for a w*nker! :tongue:

I can be corrected by a speaker of Spanish.

3 hours ago, LGMV said:

one thing that is a bit disappointing is that there appears to be no side cameras in the CX5 that project onto the monitor so that you can clearly see motorbikes approaching from the rear side, the Pajero and the CRV have this function, but this would be small sacrifice compared to the more pleasurable drive

For less than 30'000 baht you can add this feature 360 degree view camera at many shops.

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

I would get a rack before I would risk poking holes in the upholstery.

Poking holes????It's not like the upholstery is made of rice paper!  Grease or grime would be more of a problem.

13 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Slightly OT - I believe that Pajero is Spanish slang for a w*nker! :tongue:

I can be corrected by a speaker of Spanish.

A bit like the Chevy Nova which has to change it's name in Latin America, as it means "No Go"

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

How long did your original battery last? Mine went roughly 1.5yr, under 40k km. The auto stop/start really kills battery life, and of course it's some special battery for stop/start and costs more.

I wonder why you change your batteries so often ? On any of my Benz they last 5+ years, also with start and stop.

Poking holes????It's not like the upholstery is made of rice paper!  Grease or grime would be more of a problem.

Grease spots would be a more frequent problem, but not more of a problem then a hole or a torn seam.

How long did your original battery last? Mine went roughly 1.5yr, under 40k km. The auto stop/start really kills battery life, and of course it's some special battery for stop/start and costs more.

I hate the F’n start-stop on the wife’s Toyota.

I always turn it off, but I wonder if I can change the the default to off...

4 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I had them turn off the "eco stop start" waste of time, should save some battery life!

31 minutes ago, CGW said:

I had them turn off the "eco stop start" waste of time, should save some battery life!

No a battery driven and used hard lasts longer. Stop Start drives sane folk stupid unless they like boiling or freezing or vegans. 

4 hours ago, grkt said:

I wonder why you change your batteries so often ? On any of my Benz they last 5+ years, also with start and stop.

Planned obsolescence by the manufacturer?

just went to bike shop and it seems that most bikes these days have the solid Axel quick release (better than the old quick release I am told) and therefore removing the wheel would surely mean that getting the bike in the back of the CX5 would be very simple and easily fit

They also seem to sell bike bags for a few dollars which would stop any potential tears, grease, mud etc.  

someone helpfully mentioned that you can fit a 360 camera to the car for 30K, would that involve a separate screen mounted on the dash board?  and would all the wiring be hidden?   and would it invalidate any warranty?  Thanks to anyone who has experience with this

I have a 2 month old CX-5 2.2 Deisel model... Very happy with it. 

If you are considering the Pajero or Fortuna them it's probably worth considering the Ford Explorer.

I looked at the CV, Explorer before deciding on the Mazda which IMO is better.

Will a bike fit? I've not yet tried but I'm quite sure the 2/3rd split rear seats will accommodate if you take off the front wheel (to fit my bike in a BMW X5 required removal of the front wheel too).

Or...use a tailgate bike rack or roof rack with bike fitting.

Do you mean the Everest?  Have considered all PJS, Everest and Fortuna mainly as wanted something big (and a bit safer) and that could handle some offroad if going to somewhat remote stays up north, and mainly for the bike.   All three were great but personally did not enjoy driving them (they were fine, but it wasn't a pleasurable drive).  The CX5 seemed more fun to drive and and seems can handle a bike.   I suppose if one had a trip that would be more remote, off road tyres could be fitted to the car for the trip (although not sure how that would work regarding storage off the other set).   CX5 also looks pretty safe re the airbags etc

1 hour ago, LGMV said:

Do you mean the Everest?  Have considered all PJS, Everest and Fortuna mainly as wanted something big (and a bit safer) and that could handle some offroad if going to somewhat remote stays up north, and mainly for the bike.   All three were great but personally did not enjoy driving them (they were fine, but it wasn't a pleasurable drive).  The CX5 seemed more fun to drive and and seems can handle a bike.   I suppose if one had a trip that would be more remote, off road tyres could be fitted to the car for the trip (although not sure how that would work regarding storage off the other set).   CX5 also looks pretty safe re the airbags etc

Yeah, I meant the Everest.

IMO the CX-5 was by far the better option. Better interior, better materials, better ride...

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IMO the CX-5 was by far the better option. Better interior, better materials, better ride...

How sad it is to downgrade your life style from a Benz to a Japanese box that everybody can have ?

7 hours ago, grkt said:

How sad it is to downgrade your life style from a Benz to a Japanese box that everybody can have ?

Have to say that Mazda are doing far better for themselves now, having that millstone (Ford) removed from around their neck!

14 hours ago, LGMV said:

just went to bike shop and it seems that most bikes these days have the solid Axel quick release (better than the old quick release I am told) and therefore removing the wheel would surely mean that getting the bike in the back of the CX5 would be very simple and easily fit

Both types of quick release are simple to use, the older style is actually faster than a solid axle but less rigid and easier to misalign.

7 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Both types of quick release are simple to use, the older style is actually faster than a solid axle but less rigid and easier to misalign.

thanks, and the back wheel comes off easily too, so it really would be easy to transport.

Do you find not having 360 camera is an issue?  Do you know if one can be fitted to the car?  Also, how is the navigation system?  have heard a rumour that Mazda will allow Android/Applecar Play upgrade at the end of the year, but would like to know if the current navigation is good enough

The car is small enough that I don't miss a 360 camera. Where it could be handy is in really tight parking garages, otherwise the rear cam plus front sensors is enough for me. The sides are easy enough to see, and when driving the blind spot warning does work well. I've never looked into fitting one, can't help you there.

The nav system is usable at best, it's not easy to enter or search destinations, and the general A/V system interface is laggy. Once entered the guidance is fine. It definitely doesn't hold a candle to Google Maps in convenience or functionality. Realtime weather and traffic via Mazda Connect is actually pretty nice, except for it not always recognizing my subscription and their customer service being utterly useless at solving the issue.

Mazda Carplay has been talked about for years, many owners just roll their eyes, but this year it actually started shipping on one Mazda so there's real hope it'll get rolled out across others. Rumors vary on whether it'll be free or have some upgrade cost.

9 hours ago, grkt said:
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm...???? Say what now?

10 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

The car is small enough that I don't miss a 360 camera. Where it could be handy is in really tight parking garages, otherwise the rear cam plus front sensors is enough for me. The sides are easy enough to see, and when driving the blind spot warning does work well. I've never looked into fitting one, can't help you there.

The nav system is usable at best, it's not easy to enter or search destinations, and the general A/V system interface is laggy. Once entered the guidance is fine. It definitely doesn't hold a candle to Google Maps in convenience or functionality. Realtime weather and traffic via Mazda Connect is actually pretty nice, except for it not always recognizing my subscription and their customer service being utterly useless at solving the issue.

Mazda Carplay has been talked about for years, many owners just roll their eyes, but this year it actually started shipping on one Mazda so there's real hope it'll get rolled out across others. Rumors vary on whether it'll be free or have some upgrade cost.

Thanks, that is really useful information.  The main thing is that existing owners WILL be able to upgrade if it comes out (either paid or unpaid).  Would be happy to put up with these disadvantages and have the superior ride quality.

On ‎08‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 7:43 PM, LGMV said:

someone helpfully mentioned that you can fit a 360 camera to the car for 30K, would that involve a separate screen mounted on the dash board?  and would all the wiring be hidden?   and would it invalidate any warranty?  Thanks to anyone who has experience with this

The 360 will be displayed in the existing screen. you can check on YouTube there are some videos available which shows how this will work on a CX-5.

There are (I think for CX-5 as well) some 360 cameras available with night vision as well :).

As someone else already told, it's not very important, but I think a nice gadget. I bought now a Toyota C-HR, which I planned to keep for 2-3 years and then check again...

Archived