MAZDA CX5 any owners?

LGMV

16 hours ago, HampiK said:

The 360 will be displayed in the existing screen. you can check on YouTube there are some videos available which shows how this will work on a CX-5.

There are (I think for CX-5 as well) some 360 cameras available with night vision as well :).

As someone else already told, it's not very important, but I think a nice gadget. I bought now a Toyota C-HR, which I planned to keep for 2-3 years and then check again...

Thanks for this.  Night vision would be very cool, and pretty handy.  I wonder if having an after market 360 camera fitted with invalidate the warranty, though.  Will check with dealers.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LGMV said:

Thanks for this.  Night vision would be very cool, and pretty handy.  I wonder if having an after market 360 camera fitted with invalidate the warranty, though.  Will check with dealers.

Yes, the Kids could play at Stealth Bomber Pilots, how bloody unnecessary.!!

On 5/9/2018 at 11:32 AM, Sam Lin said:

The car is small enough that I don't miss a 360 camera. Where it could be handy is in really tight parking garages, otherwise the rear cam plus front sensors is enough for me. The sides are easy enough to see, and when driving the blind spot warning does work well. I've never looked into fitting one, can't help you there.

The nav system is usable at best, it's not easy to enter or search destinations, and the general A/V system interface is laggy. Once entered the guidance is fine. It definitely doesn't hold a candle to Google Maps in convenience or functionality. Realtime weather and traffic via Mazda Connect is actually pretty nice, except for it not always recognizing my subscription and their customer service being utterly useless at solving the issue.

Mazda Carplay has been talked about for years, many owners just roll their eyes, but this year it actually started shipping on one Mazda so there's real hope it'll get rolled out across others. Rumors vary on whether it'll be free or have some upgrade cost.

22 hours ago, HampiK said:

The 360 will be displayed in the existing screen. you can check on YouTube there are some videos available which shows how this will work on a CX-5.

There are (I think for CX-5 as well) some 360 cameras available with night vision as well :).

As someone else already told, it's not very important, but I think a nice gadget. I bought now a Toyota C-HR, which I planned to keep for 2-3 years and then check again...

3 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Yes, the Kids could play at Stealth Bomber Pilots, how bloody unnecessary.!!

That is good information.   Intuitively, it seems infra camera would be good for bikes without lights in blindspots at junctions, and in areas with no street lighting.   But it totally unnecessary, then worth avoiding any camera with infrared for Thailand.  Thanks

1 hour ago, LGMV said:

That is good information.   Intuitively, it seems infra camera would be good for bikes without lights in blindspots at junctions, and in areas with no street lighting.   But it totally unnecessary, then worth avoiding any camera with infrared for Thailand.  Thanks

Open your eyes, turn lights on, fit clear UV film and surprise surprise like millions of folks you can see.!!..... Where me  Backwards Baseball Cap, im off.:stoner:

Mazda uses a diesel particulate filter (DPF)in order to achieve emission standards. Those filters need to be burned clean on a regular basis (regeneration cycle). During such a cleanse diesel intended to burn off diesel particulate matter from the filter might not burn completely but get into the crankcase diluting engine oil. This increases wear on the engine. 

Regeneration works best when the engine is at a higher temperature and is not stopped during an ongoing regeneration cycle. A car driven often or mostly on short inner city runs makes it therefore more likely to encounter problems due to oil dilution than one that is doing long open road runs only. 

The 2.2l diesel is a great engine to drive. Do your own google search and see if you feel comfortable about it. Petrol engines obviously don't have that problem. 

16 hours ago, John Singer said:

Mazda uses a diesel particulate filter (DPF)in order to achieve emission standards. Those filters need to be burned clean on a regular basis (regeneration cycle). During such a cleanse diesel intended to burn off diesel particulate matter from the filter might not burn completely but get into the crankcase diluting engine oil. This increases wear on the engine. 

Regeneration works best when the engine is at a higher temperature and is not stopped during an ongoing regeneration cycle. A car driven often or mostly on short inner city runs makes it therefore more likely to encounter problems due to oil dilution than one that is doing long open road runs only. 

The 2.2l diesel is a great engine to drive. Do your own google search and see if you feel comfortable about it. Petrol engines obviously don't have that problem. 

That is interesting information.  Do you or any other cx5 diesel owners have any direct experience of this issue?

The first years of the diesel had severe oil dilution issues from the DPF regen process. Mazda changed the regen programming on later years. Some dilution is normal on any diesel engine that uses a DPF, which is actually most cars/trucks on the market (and the ability to deal with fuel contamination and dilution is one reason diesel engine oils are "diesel"). The dipstick has an X mark about a quart above full as a warning of too much dilution. The ECU also has a regen counter that needs to be hard reset at each oil change, or the dash will indicate service required if the car feels too many regen cycles have occurred on one oil change.

It's easy to tell when a regen cycle is active, the iStop will remain off, and the engine RPM will stay a little higher than normal, with corresponding different sound, if you are coasting or stopped. The realtime fuel consumption gage will show very high usage (10-15L/100km) despite very small throttle use. My car does one or two regen cycles per tank of fuel, which based on the range meter uses 20-40km of fuel range each time. The regen frequency will increase as the car ages, due to the DPF filter gradually clogging and degrading. Mazda's regen is based on pressure differential across the DPF filter, it goes into regen if it feels the filter is too clogged.

When in regen it's best to try and maintain speed, or at least keep driving - the last thing you want to do is stop and shut the car off. The goal is to have a hot exhaust stream via engine load; idling regen is slow and is the worst-case for oil dilution due to how much fuel the car delivers trying to raise exhaust temps. With this in mind, short city trips are a poor usage case for the diesel regen, best to have expressway use where the car sees sustained higher load/higher rpm for some time. That said, I see tons of CX5 diesels on the road here in Bangkok traffic, and I'm not hearing of issues from service techs, so I think the car's programming is doing a good job of handling it.

The DPF filter can be removed and swapped with a straight pipe, eliminating the need to regen, but at the expense of also eliminating the catalytic converters and being a conscious polluter. The DPF catches PM2.5 particles, which are a primary cause of respiratory disease and the focus of many of the air quality programs in major cities around the world.

3 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

The first years of the diesel had severe oil dilution issues from the DPF regen process. Mazda changed the regen programming on later years. Some dilution is normal on any diesel engine that uses a DPF, which is actually most cars/trucks on the market (and the ability to deal with fuel contamination and dilution is one reason diesel engine oils are "diesel"). The dipstick has an X mark about a quart above full as a warning of too much dilution. The ECU also has a regen counter that needs to be hard reset at each oil change, or the dash will indicate service required if the car feels too many regen cycles have occurred on one oil change.

It's easy to tell when a regen cycle is active, the iStop will remain off, and the engine RPM will stay a little higher than normal, with corresponding different sound, if you are coasting or stopped. The realtime fuel consumption gage will show very high usage (10-15L/100km) despite very small throttle use. My car does one or two regen cycles per tank of fuel, which based on the range meter uses 20-40km of fuel range each time. The regen frequency will increase as the car ages, due to the DPF filter gradually clogging and degrading. Mazda's regen is based on pressure differential across the DPF filter, it goes into regen if it feels the filter is too clogged.

When in regen it's best to try and maintain speed, or at least keep driving - the last thing you want to do is stop and shut the car off. The goal is to have a hot exhaust stream via engine load; idling regen is slow and is the worst-case for oil dilution due to how much fuel the car delivers trying to raise exhaust temps. With this in mind, short city trips are a poor usage case for the diesel regen, best to have expressway use where the car sees sustained higher load/higher rpm for some time. That said, I see tons of CX5 diesels on the road here in Bangkok traffic, and I'm not hearing of issues from service techs, so I think the car's programming is doing a good job of handling it.

The DPF filter can be removed and swapped with a straight pipe, eliminating the need to regen, but at the expense of also eliminating the catalytic converters and being a conscious polluter. The DPF catches PM2.5 particles, which are a primary cause of respiratory disease and the focus of many of the air quality programs in major cities around the world.

Great information.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:44 PM, LGMV said:

When in regen it's best to try and maintain speed, or at least keep driving - the last thing you want to do is stop and shut the car off.

so has this happened to you?  and how often?  can you describe a scenario of what one would do in this situation? and for how long?

On 5/14/2018 at 2:44 PM, LGMV said:

With this in mind, short city trips are a poor usage case for the diesel regen, best to have expressway use where the car sees sustained higher load/higher rpm for some time.

This does sound like it could be a pain if one has to think about this every short trip.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 8:54 AM, thaiscot said:

Im have a 2014 cx5 2.2 awd diesel , fantastic car & its not small inside it has a decent sized boot , the rear seats fold down flat just by pulling one lever very easy,diesel engine is brilliant very torquey with plenty of power & good fuel economy with very good handling, pajero is just a pick up with suv body panels

Hi.  Can i know what's the average fuel consumption for your awd diesel cx5?

I have problem to decide between a diesel and gasoline model. 

Thank you very much

Sorry mate im not in thailand at the moment and cant answer that without looking on the trip computer maybe someone else could answer that for you , what i will say is that i test drove both the diesel & the petrol & was very impressed by the diesel compared to the petrol thats why i went for the diesel

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 12:26 PM, thaiscot said:

Sorry mate im not in thailand at the moment and cant answer that without looking on the trip computer maybe someone else could answer that for you , what i will say is that i test drove both the diesel & the petrol & was very impressed by the diesel compared to the petrol thats why i went for the diesel

Thank you so much for your feedback...  i think i would go for diesel too .. ?

Archived