Dick Crank

i'm 50 and i'm in so much pain i am pretty much stuck in my hotel,

i wish i was in an elderly home back home

so i wouldnt have to get up on my feet ever again,

but alas, its too painful to go back,

and i cant find a trustworthy source of nembutal

• Sad 5

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

OP if you have mobility problem Thailand is not the place for you.

AS simon1490 said Thailand is not the place to be if you are wheelchair bound.

It is a nightmare for disabled people, i know i am wheelchair bound and very wary of going outside the gate. 

How do you cope with necessities, cooking, daily tasks? Is it easy to hire assistants for that sort of thing and how much does that kind of help cost?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Crank said:

How do you cope with necessities, cooking, daily tasks? Is it easy to hire assistants for that sort of thing and how much does that kind of help cost?

I'm currently mobile but I'm looking to the future. 

There are homes for people with disabilities but they are not inexpensive, I also know of one neighbour who has a full time live in home help so it can be done, I can't speak to costs however.

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

I am the same age as you and with similar mobility problems to yours. I agree with you that the UK is more disabled-friendly than Thailand. But, in addition to mobility v. boredom, I think that another key issue relates to the availability of support mechanisms. Here in Thailand, I have my wife and her family who, I hope, will take care of me in my advancing years, in accordance with the Thai tradition of the younger family members looking after their elders. But no such tradition exists in the UK, of course, and, in any event, I no longer have any close family members living there. So, were I to relocate back to the UK, I could eventually find myself having to shell out a fortune for so-called "professional" care, just like my parents had to do in their final years.

I've had this discussion with my wife several times and she's quite prepared to look after me. I, on the other hand, am not prepared to let her waste substantial parts of her life when she could be off doing far more interesting and useful things. Either way, there's going to be a cost involved, my outlook is that the cost will be lower in the UK than here plus I stand a better chance there of having my wishes adhered to in terms of care in my final years.

• Like 1

I am 67 and in good shape and mobile. I was never married or had children in USA so my long-term care plans are definitely here in Thailand. However they do not include finding a 'good' Thai woman to look after me ... not that I don't plan to find Thai women good or otherwise but I do not expect that any Thai woman in a relationship to be my principal care giver.

44 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I am 67 and in good shape and mobile. I was never married or had children in USA so my long-term care plans are definitely here in Thailand. However they do not include finding a 'good' Thai woman to look after me ... not that I don't plan to find Thai women good or otherwise but I do not expect that any Thai woman in a relationship to be my principal care giver.

If I ever get singel at that age, I am going to find a nurse who can take care of me, pay her little bit over average wages, rent her a room in my house, and let her take me to massage and other fysioterapy places for my well being. Call in day care in house ;-) 

At least she have to keep me alive and happy to keep her job. 

• Like 2

If you look at NancyL's numbers above it could be about US $2000 per month to have round-the-clock professional nurse assistance. Do you realize what that would cost in the USA?

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

If you look at NancyL's numbers above it could be about US $2000 per month to have round-the-clock professional nurse assistance. Do you realize what that would cost in the USA?

Where you get your usd 2000 a month? If I need 24 hours help, I will jump to if I can climb over that f fence. 

It should not be more than 18 000,- bath a month for normal daycare help. She have to pay me 4000,- back for the room to, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

As I said from NancyL's numbers 

"The primary two are paid at least 10,000 baht/month, actually as high as 15,000 baht/month and get free food when they're working." ... and then I would be willing to pay maybe more than the going rate.

Edited by JLCrab

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

There would be no way to get good quality care here in Chiang Mai for the 450-500 baht/day number given by Colinneil.

Ever calculated how much 30 times 500 is? And by per day I would assume that mean a normal day shift.

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

The primary two are paid at least 10,000 baht/month, actually as high as 15,000 baht/month and get free food when they're working.  

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

I am the same age as you and with similar mobility problems to yours. I agree with you that the UK is more disabled-friendly than Thailand. But, in addition to mobility v. boredom, I think that another key issue relates to the availability of support mechanisms. Here in Thailand, I have my wife and her family who, I hope, will take care of me in my advancing years, in accordance with the Thai tradition of the younger family members looking after their elders. But no such tradition exists in the UK, of course, and, in any event, I no longer have any close family members living there. So, were I to relocate back to the UK, I could eventually find myself having to shell out a fortune for so-called "professional" care, just like my parents had to do in their final years.

That is my concern as we'll, being that returning Thailand now when I'm much older I may not have the time to marry and/or have the relationships in place formed over time which would enable me to rely on care from an extended family there.

6 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Ever calculated how much 30 times 500 is? And by per day I would assume that mean a normal day shift.

I believe Nancy quoted a monthly salary of THB10,000/15,000 per person rather than a total for the pair, both working 12 hour shifts, which seems like a sensible salary.

15 hours ago, NancyL said:

I know people who have set up good 24/7 care situations in their homes, but it requires employing three people.  At least two working 12 hour shifts and a third working part-time to give the other two some time off.  The primary two are paid at least 10,000 baht/month, actually as high as 15,000 baht/month and get free food when they're working.  

The key to making this arrangement work is to have someone "in charge" who can act when one of the caregivers doesn't show up and who is handling bill payment, scheduling medical appointments, supervising meds, etc.  Often this can be a wife, but not always.  

There would be no way to get good quality care here in Chiang Mai for the 450-500 baht/day number given by Colinneil.  You can maybe hire a full-time maid for that, but not someone who has skills needed to take care of a handicapped person.  Maybe in KhonKaew, but as he pointed out someone working at that low a wage isn't very reliable.

Nancy i do not understand you saying that 500 baht a day is any diffrerent to your posts.

As 500 baht a day over 25 days is 12500 baht a month exactly in the middle of your estimate.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Nancy i do not understand you saying that 500 baht a day is any diffrerent to your posts.

As 500 baht a day over 25 days is 12500 baht a month exactly in the middle of your estimate.

Nancy is quoting a PER PERSON cost, for the second time!

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

So am i

With all due respect to your carers I doubt that at that price you have fully trained and qualified staff, I suspect location may also determine rates to some degree with cities being more expensive. Also, are your rates factoring in 2 x 12 hour shifts?

I am not interested in the numbers game but the options available to me and some of the arrangements I have made tentatively or otherwise in Thailand for long-term care can astound persons in the USA who are knowledgeable of how things work there.

... and while it is nice to know that a family or significant others can help with your long-term care, it's also nice to know that they can do so at THEIR choice and that you are not solely dependent on them.

Edited by JLCrab