BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dick Crank

Too old for Thailand?

......sounds lovely, but death sounds a whole lot more attractive then needing

my arse wiped and powdered

42 minutes ago, neeray said:

Colin, this is the first post of yours where you did not mention your dual duty, hard working, great caring wife. I always enjoy reading your tributes to this fine Thai woman.

Sorry mate getting old, i surely missed that out, not intentional i assure you.

As i have stated before, i would be lost without her, she is my rock.

2 minutes ago, poanoi said:

That's a sentiment Hubby expressed recently, as in "if I ever get to that point just take me out and shoot me."  Instead, I said if it ever got to that point, I'd check him into McKean where their flock of nursing trainees descend on the patients each morning to give baths.  My friend who is bedbound there says it's the high point of his morning to have half a dozen young giggling Thai ladies swoop into his room and handle his privates.  When I pointed this out, Hubby asked if he could check in now.

i guess thats a half glass empty/full kinda thing, but i am mr negative and

stand by my principle

17 minutes ago, poanoi said:

Everything is worth experiencing at least once

10 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i guess thats a half glass empty/full kinda thing, but i am mr negative and

stand by my principle

... as long as you can still stand, anyway.

Come live in Thailand.

Lots of old gimp duffers where I live.

Many wheelchaired, many three wheel motorbikes.

Cheaper than the West.

No place is perfect

If it doesn't work you can always go home.

Or do a jumper! (Ha ha)

20 minutes ago, poanoi said:

Well i disagree with you, being paraplegic i need that done for me.

If you are an American Vet, or you have health insurance from your country that is valid here, Thailand is the best place to be if you are an old man, even disable. I know many good Thai women that will take care very well of all your needs. If not married, or living with you, many Thai women are willing to take care of elders for a monthly salary of not more than $500.00 a month, but it is easy to find a nice woman for a commited relationship, if you are not looking for somebody 30 years younger than your self. Also there are many retirement/care resorts in Thailand a lot more afordable than those in Western countries, with services and amenities only available in a lot more expensive places in other countries. If your retirement or monthly income is about $2,500.00 a month you will get your NO visa and retirement extension without any problem, even easier if you are an American citizen. With that income, you can get a nice small home or condohotel apartment on non tourist areas, close to all services, and even your own transportation with driver. If you need any info about, just send me a message. I live in Phayao, 30 minutes driving to Chiang Rai, probably one of the best and cheapest areas to retire in Thailand.

12 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

<snip> but it is easy to find a nice woman for a commited relationship, if you are not looking for somebody 30 years younger than your self. <snip2>

Well OK -- I wasn't looking but she did the looking.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Yes, as I pointed out you can arrange 24/7 care from certified nursing assistants for about $2500 per month.  The labor cost is cheap, but you also have to factor the cost of specialized equipment and this can get expensive here.  For example, a manual patient hoist that sells  $700 - 1000 in the U.S., with free delivery, will run 50,000 - 70,000 baht here because of import duty.  Same thing with hospital beds.

But, if someone is anticipated to need long-term care, it can be arranged for less than half the cost of what you'd pay in the U.S.  Remember, too, that the assisted living centers in Chiang Mai are a very good bargain compared with the U.S.  The most popular Dok Kaew Gardens, part of McKean Rehab Center, is 32,000 baht/month for someone who still has some independence and 45,000 baht/month for higher care, as for those with dementia. The high-end assisted living center here is Vivo Bene, like staying in a five star resort.  The cost there ranges from 80,000 -100,000 baht/month.  Less than $4000.  Ten years ago my father was in a facility in the U.S. that cost $5000 per month and was nowhere near as nice as Vivo Bene, maybe more like Dok Kaew.  That was ten years ago; I shutter to think what it costs now. 

If someone is bedbound and needs tube feeding, daily dressing changes and other regular nursing services, they can live at McKean Rehab Center.  I've assisted one man who had high care needs and was in a very nice, private room at McKean.  His monthly bills were about 80,000 baht/month for daily wound changes, daily physical therapy, bedbaths, and other attention needed because he couldn't leave the bed.   Less than $3000, about 1/3 what this level of service would have cost in the U.S. and chances are it would have been given by disinterested caregivers.  At McKean, the nurses are sweet and kind and have a nice rapport with the patients.

Yet for many expats, especially those living pension-check-to-pension-check just on a gov't pension, these numbers seem astronomical.  There are many retirees here getting by on 30,000 - 40,000 per month.  This is not a realistic income to support assisted care here and people in this situation should have a plan in place to return to their home countries when the time comes so they can avail themselves of public assistance.

Thanks nancy. Vivo bene is within my means. That gives me the option of coming and checking out the facility and checking in at some point if I ever needed to.

knowing I had somewhere potentially to go makes all the difference.

I remember being in bkk several years and just the thought of not being able to manage and being stuck in a rented apt somewhere with no options seemed like a nightmare.

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I believe Nancy quoted a monthly salary of THB10,000/15,000 per person rather than a total for the pair, both working 12 hour shifts, which seems like a sensible salary.

And Colinneil quoted a price of 450 - 500 Baht/day for a helper ( you notice no "s" at the end ?), and a working day is 12 hours average in Thailand isn't it?

Now multiply this with the numbers of days there are in a month.

By the way, I lately get quoted quite a lot by someone on who's ignore list I am.

It really depends on the extent of your disability - and what you want from life... it is not going to be much fun anywhere for all of us as we age and have health issues to deal with... but there are many variables such as health insurance and what your financial situation might be... surely, one variable is that hiring an assistant here, a nurse or live in companion is going to be far cheaper...

I would start by making lists of pros and cons - - not sure when you were here last, but the internet brings a lot of entertainment into your home here... not sure where you are, but the warm weather, getting out of a city center and being in lush vegetation and tropical surroundings sure does my mood well as opposed to a bleak winter... 

feel free to pm me if you need help with your decision making process.

I am 83 and have lived here since I retired, 20 years ago. Living here cured my main health problem, but of course, getting older means more and more health problems will occur. Even so (and concerned about the cost of future health problems), I have a better quality of life than anything I could have in the UK.

And remember the saying (was it Groucho or WC Fields?) A man is as old as the woman he feels.

OP:

Thailand is aging very rapidly. Demand for elder care is increasing, and the cost for caregivers is likely to increase as well. If you moved over here, you would not only be looking for companionship, but someone to function as a caregiver. These dual needs make the odds of you prematurely leaping into a relationship above average, which is risky. As you yourself said earlier, it takes time to find out whether someone is trustworthy, and because of your age and your mobility problems, you may not have the luxury of taking time to discover someone's true nature.

There is a guy in my area who seems to have established a relationship similar to what you are dreaming of, i.e., in exchange for having built her a house, presumably paying all living expenses, and buying a life insurance policy which will provide for her after he passes, she has agreed to take care of him. The problem is that his wife plays cards and dominoes all day while the guy, who suffers from untreated diabetes, whiles away his time playing video games, smoking, drinking, and for all intents and purposes, waiting to die. The wife doesn't seem to have any awareness of there being any wifely duty to intervene medically on his behalf.

My sense is that you already know the answer to your questions, and you can probably guess based on the above comments what I think about the advisability of your plan. Ability to learn a new language in your late 60's early 70's is something else to consider. I moved here in my early 50's, not waiting until I was older, out of many of the fears of moving later in life which have already been mentioned. Don't enjoy being in the position to discourage dreams, but sometimes you just have to accept that the ship has already sailed.