Too old for Thailand?

Dick Crank

17 hours ago, JLCrab said:

If you look at NancyL's numbers above it could be about US $2000 per month to have round-the-clock professional nurse assistance. Do you realize what that would cost in the USA?

My mother's live in care costs US$ 5500 per month (in the UK)  plus she has to pay for all the carers food and the additional utilities they use.

Well you were the one who started with the anecdotes. 

But good luck to you in OZ and lucky for you that you did not have some major cardiac event in Thailand where you would have been at the mercy of the Thai medical system.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Haha 1

I was experiencing severe angina-which the Thai doctors (both Private and State) did not seem to be able to get under control.

All it took was a visit to an Australian GP, a 4 day stint in hospital,a complete change to my medication regime (much simplified) and farewell to the angina.

I am not aware that this thread is about whose experiences are more "authentic" as I am just putting it out there for all those who might care to read..

I am just being lined up now for major cardiac surgery and am happy that it will occur in my own country.
That both Government and private Thai hospitals failed to improve your health is worrying. Maybe, as is the case in the UK, both doctors would have received the same Government hospital training and now work in both sectors?

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

That both Government and private Thai hospitals failed to improve your health is worrying. Maybe, as is the case in the UK, both doctors would have received the same Government hospital training and now work in both sectors?

I do not know the answer to your question,really.

I saw a few foreigners and Thai people die due to blatant misdiagnosis/mismanagement of their medical problem.Also the risk of secondary infection appeared to be much higher.

I remember querying a Thai doctor about my medication,only to be cut of by the nurse who said "Treat the doctor with respect!"

My Thai family never queried a doctor but after 33 years as a registered nurse myself,I was certainly going to!

The Australian system is quite similar to the UK one,in terms of the training.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

How do you cope with necessities, cooking, daily tasks? Is it easy to hire assistants for that sort of thing and how much does that kind of help cost?

I think you have the idea.  I have two older friends who can hardly walk. Yet, both live here in relatively free lives. They both have assistants, accommodating homes, and private transportation. Sure, it costs them, but they are financially secure and happy with their decision to stay. 

I do not know the answer to your question,really.

I saw a few foreigners and Thai people die due to blatant misdiagnosis/mismanagement of their medical problem.Also the risk of secondary infection appeared to be much higher.

I remember querying a Thai doctor about my medication,only to be cut of by the nurse who said "Treat the doctor with respect!"

My Thai family never queried a doctor but after 33 years as a registered nurse myself,I was certainly going to!

The Australian system is quite similar to the UK one,in terms of the training.
And quite rightly too as it turned out!

25 minutes ago, Sprigger said:

Trouble with most posters on this topic is they have foolishly burnt their bridges with their more affluent home land. Now as they grow older and the party days are a distant memory, the reality and fear are coming home to roost. Never burn your bridges 6 months about is the ideal situation. 

Yes. Keep your money and property in your home country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Something you need to remember mate, here doctors are considered gods.

Mere mortals like you and me must never question what they say.

Yes its a bloody joke, the surgeon who put me back together(lovely likeable man)

Visited me rtegularly during my 7 months in hospital.

He was at my bedside 1 day, we were having a laugh together,my wife came and went ballistic with me, you never speak like that to a doctor, what? He is a man the same as me we were having a laugh woman.

My wife was bowing wai ing to the doctor  in apology for me speaking like that, he just walked away.

Colin,

Yes indeed they are the Gods-however,I am just putting these things out for due consideration when you are considering retirement,ongoing care or checking out options.

Each to their own has been my motto in life-but don't call me Mr Lucky :smile:

• Like 1

I am talking about myself now, I have no criticism of anyone else's view of their old age.

My parents died aged 73 and 74. Both went out like lights, both mobile and knew nothing about it. 

In my town in Australia, similar UK, is an old folks home where people stare at the wall or sing 1930/40/50s songs from their youth. 

I can't imagine my age group singing Rod Stewart's "Maggie May"  as a bunch of toothless oldies.

OK, I'm lucky, some loony in an SUV could mangle my legs tomorrow.  I am fully mobile, physically and mentally.

But now at 67 I have thought about the endgame very often.   

My Thai stepdaughter works in age care in that home. The thought of someone that age and beauty wiping my backside is not an option.   A friend's grandmother died one day after failing to climb the stairs to the loo and soiled herself in the hallway.  Although in reasonably good health the humiliation flicked the off switch in her head. 

I'm too bossy and in control to accept full time care.  When the time nears I'll have a plan.

As they say.........  old age is only for the brave.

• Like 2

Just now, somtamjames said:

I really hope that you were trying to make a joke. Please, consider that so many foreigners have at least thought once about suicide, it's frightening to read your post.

Why assume the nembies are for suicide and not pain free sleep as I did?  The current trend in the big S is half a dozen portable BBQ charcoal burners ignited in a sealed room before going to sleep....and not waking up.

• Confused 1

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

Colin,

Yes indeed they are the Gods-however,I am just putting these things out for due consideration when you are considering retirement,ongoing care or checking out options.

Each to their own has been my motto in life-but don't call me Mr Lucky :smile:

Doctors in the UK are fairly untouchable especially the mafia of consultants. A thousand deaths a month in the UK due to poor treatment. 250 women recently due to cancer misdiagnosis. 

• Like 1

Have only been a visitor in Thai Government hospitals so far and, although they are definitely overcrowded with additional beds on both sides of corridors, the patients do seem to receive attention. In the UK when my Mum was very ill at home an emergency doctor told me "don't put your Mum in the local hospital. They killed my Grandmother".

1 minute ago, The manic said:

Doctors in the UK are fairly untouchable especially the mafia of consultants. A thousand deaths a month in the UK due to poor treatment. 250 women recently due to cancer misdiagnosis. 

I am not British.

..so I do not have anything meaningful to say about the NHS.I was treated in the UK once when I was a tourist and the system seemed quite reasonable to me-AT THAT TIME.

I really do not have to worry about the cold either-about 6-10 degrees Celsius is about as cold as it gets here tho' I would love to see a frost again.

T'was a beautiful autumn day here.

• Like 1

If you want a preview of purgatory go and live in an Issan Village.

Depends how remote the village of course. I am only 4km from a small town centre catering for everyday needs, including a 30 bed hospital. A larger town on the NE rail line is only another 11km and 12 baht bus ride away.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 3:33 PM, NancyL said:

Some retirees have found a good Thai wife and extended family who promise to care for him for the rest of his life at home.  What they don't realize, however, is the difficulty of caring for a large man without special equipment -- the average Thai home isn't handicap friendly.  Also, they usually lack knowledge to cook easy-to-chew and digest food appealing to westerners.  Thai people think that rice porridge is the correct food for old people.

It's a matter of educating the good Thai wife/GF in preparing the foods you like. Mine would not dare give me rice porridge.

In my seventies, and mobile. I guess I might have to re-assess when I no longer have confidence on a scooter. I would have to have a lobotomy before I could drive a car as badly as most Thais.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Depends how remote the village of course. I am only 4km from a small town centre catering for everyday needs, including a 30 bed hospital. A larger town on the NE rail line is only another 11km and 12 baht bus ride away.

A 12 baht bus ride sounds like hell to me. I hope that you've got beer there? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Theory said:

Nancy, I could not find any monthly cost in those 3 pages. Either I don’t see well or it’s not there.

Several resource documents are on this page of the website:  http://www.lannacarenet.org/lessons-learned-at-the-end-of-life/

The Care Survey Grid is under "Lesson 2" and lists prices:  http://www.lannacarenet.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Care-survey-grid-1.pdf

• Like 1

I disagree with some of these observations. I am 66 and although can not walk far, I see the writing on the wall. There are nice places to care for some of you here, if you are not broke. I have a great wife who cares for me,  I have Military benifits to cover most of my needs, I am not wealthy! My spouse knows how to file, loves me! 

My opinion, do you have someone who really cares? Then find one of those places to go to, or go home. I will not do that. Goodluck pray!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It's a matter of educating the good Thai wife/GF in preparing the foods you like. Mine would not dare give me rice porridge.

In my seventies, and mobile. I guess I might have to re-assess when I no longer have confidence on a scooter. I would have to have a lobotomy before I could drive a car as badly as most Thais.

I learned to cook when i was five. i make my own rice porridge or buy instant knorr jok for ten baht a packet but only eat it once a week. Walk 10000 peds a day run 5 k 3 times a week, swim for 20 to minutes a day . Fast two days a week and most days try to avoid breakfast. I try to make the first meal of the day after 16 hours including sleep. I am 64 and recognise I might get age related illness or become susceptible to falls and may require some kind of care formal or informal so there is some useful info on this site. I am eligible for UK NHS treatment but dread it. My good quality Company related medical insurance elapses soon and will need some decent insurance for both Thailand and surrounding countries for immediate needs and think of longer term care. My friend is 73 and susceptible to falls but his long time paid girlfriend acts as a carer and driver. 

5 hours ago, bandito said:

I am 81 and still driving a car and motorcycle on a daily basis.

I blend right in as I'm driving as badly as a Thai.

Only getting in and out of the car and falling asleep at the wheel gives me a slight problem.

Mai pen rai. :cheesy::cheesy::tongue:

You need a good deal of agility to ride a motorcycle regularly. I'm probably not up for that amount of physical activity, especially in the heat, not to mention rain.

I could handle a car but not in a city, the parking and traffic would not be manageable on a daily basis.

maybe an option upcountry somewhere where I just get up and go to markets etc, but in places like bangkok, chiang mai or pattaya forget it at my age.

one of those lark electric motorized scooters would fit the bill however. Don't see too many of those around in Thailand but there might be a distributor somewhere. 

Probably pricey with import duties. Could use on the street to the side like bikes do. I think they are legal on sidewalks, indoor malls etc but not sure of the legalities in Thailand. Need to check into this more.

Not too much info on disabled stuff in Thailand, in fact I don't see many disabled around. Maybe they just stay home and watch tv, who knows.

Edited by Dick Crank

My father is now 78, and I think there is time for him to deliver his license, but surprise, he do not agree! Well, I guess we all are our worst enemy when it comes to sound and healthy decissions, and also who relly want to give in when times is up? 

Im still thinking about how my nurse is going to be when I get older. License she need for sure

I'll soon be 65 and my hip is often in pain.

My Thai wife is a huge help. 

I was once hospitalized in Khon Kaen.  No complaints.

I'll apply for MediCare, but I don't know if it will pay bills incurred in other countries.

I don't feel "too old" and expect to remain once I move back.

1 hour ago, Dick Crank said:

one of those lark electric motorized scooters would fit the bill however. Don't see too many of those around in Thailand but there might be a distributor somewhere. 

Probably pricey with import duties. Could use on the street to the side like bikes do. I think they are legal on sidewalks, indoor malls etc but not sure of the legalities in Thailand. Need to check into this more.

The Big C in Chiang Rai has a regular parade of electric scooters, 3 wheelers. Think they are Chinese origin. Prices range from 18,000 baht for a fairly ordinary looking one to 50,000 baht for the premium model. I've seen them on the city roads there, sticking to the left hand lanes. Haven't seen any licence plates on them.

1 hour ago, Dick Crank said:

You need a good deal of agility to ride a motorcycle regularly. I'm probably not up for that amount of physical activity, especially in the heat, not to mention rain.

I could handle a car but not in a city, the parking and traffic would not be manageable on a daily basis.

maybe an option upcountry somewhere where I just get up and go to markets etc, but in places like bangkok, chiang mai or pattaya forget it at my age.

Not too much info on disabled stuff in Thailand, in fact I don't see many disabled around. Maybe they just stay home and watch tv, who knows.

i just checked alibaba for importing an electric bicycle,

you need to add a bit over 100% of the stated price

to get it imported to thailand, they would take care of that whole thing for

me after i said it was conditional