BANGKOK 19 August 2019 08:14
Travelighlty

Builder recommendations/House construction cost

Yes build it yourself. You have no experience or training in construction and know even less about managing Thai workers. What could possibly go wrong?

So many come here and do things they would never do back home then blame the results on Thais.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

When I go home I think I will ask a carpenter to build me a motorcycle I mean how different can it be as long as I supervise him I am sure everything will be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Unless you are rich and money doesn’t matter - don’t use a construction company.
If you have the time, a pick up truck and the nerve hire labor and do it yourself.

You can save a lot of money and do not depend on a contract that is designed to make as much money of you as possible. Just check out the detailed price breakdown and all the little details in the contract - most prices are totally unrealistic.

I have built both ways here in Chiang Mai.
Hiring labor and buy all materials and I am currently in the final phase building a house with a supposed to be “reputable” large construction company - and would never do it again!
We thought it would be less of a headache building like this - but it just turned out to be more expensive.
I have hired a fantastic Thai project manager - who is there all the time to watch them and he pays himself by preventing short cuts or stopping them from trying to use substandard, cheap materials.
You are welcome to visit my construction site if you wish to do so and I can give you feedback from my experience building here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Come on then post some pics and a floor plan...I have 40 years experience in building...would love to see what you have built

Edited by Tanlic

I am far from rich and I used a construction company because I saw what the alternatives were in Thailand.
I spent over a year looking at options.
Your comment “If you have the time, a pick up truck and the nerve hire labor and do it yourself”
Sums it all up really and you can add a death wish to that list too.
It’s hilarious that you say your supervisor makes a wage from stopping the builders taking shortcuts and using shit materials
Does anyone else see an issue with that statement?
Also Why would you need nerve to hire day laborers unless you realize that they are going to be shit

Bottom line is I have seen many day labour houses and many company houses and they don’t compare for quality or safety.

Yes day labour farmer built houses will be cheaper if I wanted a leaky crooked walled faulty foundation 5 year lasting death trap with cracks and bad electrics.

You get what you pay for. You wouldn’t hire a farmer to build your home back in the west so why risk it here.
I guess the cheap Charlie mentality is spreading from food to everything else here these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I must be the exception then - the builder we hired for labor had 30 years experience and we lived in a 600 m2 mansion for 8 years now and the only thing that ever needed attention was changing a few light bulbs - and we know exactly what materials have been used in our house - only the best - because we bought them!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

To be honest I cringe at what I see that people call houses and how they built them cheaply. Huts built with breeze blocks undersized precast columns add a tin roof a few windows concrete kitchen and cheap Thai tiles, sit it on top of a hand mixed concrete slab, bit of render slap some cheap paint on the outside take a picture before the rising damp sets in and boast about how cheap you built it.

I got news for you..you're a bigger cowboy than any Thai builder

That said there are some huge rip offs in Thailand

One of the biggest companies in Thailand are selling 300sqm houses for 15m Baht up and that's the starting price:shock1: . The compound is Located 30-35km from central BKK

When I studied the floor plan I could not believe some of the flaws obviously deliberate to cut their costs and increase profits. They are 4 Bedroom 3 toilets one of which was a tiny guest toilet

The balconies only 1.8m wide

The kitchen kept to a minimum and the maids room so small a single bed a wardrobe no space for a small table and the laundry outside with only a canopy covering it.

So I copied the floor plan and changed it increasing the size by 55sqm made all bedrooms en-suite increased kitchen size and balconies hid every column in the place by forming cavity walls size etc.

The company would probably be looking for 18m baht plus for that size yet to the same spec you can build for 20k per sqm 7.1 million

The land size is 540sqm in a complex but within 2 miles in either direction 1 rai is available for 2.5 to 4 million baht.

Considering there's over 120 houses in the compound I would imagine they bought the land even cheaper.

Granted they have to advertise which is expensive but not to the tune of around 8 million per house.

First one you find on Google in Thailand are 22,500 baht psm and those are prefabricated houses. Nice on the outside but again cut corners and the internal finish is rubbish for what you are paying.

So I agree with my Irish friend........a small company with a foreign influence or manager if possible is your best bet,

I have seen some disasters in 20 years in Thailand up country especially. Lots of farm workers have been building for years but they are not engineers

Lots still build as if they were still using light materials for roofs like concrete or tin sheets and wooden rafters.

I posted a typical house build a while back where the back of the house had split from the front. Saw it again recently and it's gotten worse

Problem was a slab build 150 x 150 columns and a steel and tiled roof......a mix for disaster if ever there was one.

All said and done if you only have 1 million you cant build a 3 million baht house but better a 1 million baht house than spending 1 million a year renting a studio in sunny Sukhumvit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Why would anyone build a home in a place where you can't breathe the air for several months a year?

Can't understand why anyone over 60 would build or buy anything here. Cheaper and easier to just rent. Move where you like when you like, keep the capital and no stress/hassle.

Most would be dead before they pay build cost out in rent. 

Can't understand why anyone over 60 would build or buy anything here. Cheaper and easier to just rent. Move where you like when you like, keep the capital and no stress/hassle.
Most would be dead before they pay build cost out in rent. 

Leave a home for your family.

Have a place to your own spec is very nice. Even if it is only for 5 or 10 years.

Cheap is not a consideration for all. Some have sufficient capital that house cost here is not a big deal.

Renting is often a hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2