25% increase for foreigners at government hospital

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

25% extra on the price I normally pay is quite small and certainly NOT a wallop. If you want a wallop then go to the big private hospitals in BKK etc and see how much of a wallop 25% will cost you there.

Does this apply to ALL Thia government hospitals or only that one?

I was at the 2main gov.hospitals last,tues.and the other on wed.the doctors fee's were both the same as what they have always been.50bht.

what shocked me was the C.T.A. scan 25,000bht.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

25% extra on the price I normally pay is quite small and certainly NOT a wallop. If you want a wallop then go to the big private hospitals in BKK etc and see how much of a wallop 25% will cost you there.

Does this apply to ALL Thia government hospitals or only that one?

25% more on anything, even extra girth for a woman to take is a lot. and yes the private elite BKK hospitals would be a huge slap for sure. I don't use them.

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

So, should tax paying foreigners still pay a different fee? What about foreigners married to a Thai? I'm sure "your government" doesn't have a different pricing structure for foreign spouses.

It doesn't bother me either way. I have a very low opinion of Thai hospitals, anyway.q

i think australia got it right: until you paid taxes 5 years, you're not going to get

anything for free or at discount. wish my own government would adapt

the sound practice

8 hours ago, meatboy said:

I was at the 2main gov.hospitals last,tues.and the other on wed.the doctors fee's were both the same as what they have always been.50bht.

what shocked me was the C.T.A. scan 25,000bht.

Did you have it done after 4pm ... if so it's extra clinic and much more expensive.

woke up Sunday morning (about 10 days ago) 0130 with very severe stomach pains,  couldn't get back to sleep. My wife wanted me to go to the Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip, I thought the pain might go away, but it didn't, infact the next day I started to shiver uncontrollably, with my teeth chattering, she called an ambulance and was admitted to the hospital.

They immediately put me on a drip, got the run down of my health from my wife, she told them I drank every night. They xrayed me and gave me a ct scan to check my liver, took blood tests and many more tests. They found I had a severe infection in the body and my temp was very high, told me I had a fever and had to stay in hospital for an unknown period, they immediately started giving me anti-biotics. The xray showed everthing ok but the ct scan picked up a gall bladder stone and they said that was where the infection was. 
Before I was admitted they wanted 30,000baht deposit. The food was the worst I have ever tasted in my life, I just drank the soup and ate the fruit. I was discharged after 3 nights and given a 3000baht refund. They gave me a course of meds to take at home.
Got a letter to attend today, went down about 0630 and got my number, took our own blood pressure tests and then had a 3 hour wait till the doctor arrived, all he said was you need to return in two months for an operation to remove the stone, on asking the price they said it would be 40,000baht, it is not causing me any discomfort so in two minds whether to bother or not.
All the staff were very nice and kind, but just to finish, I had to wear a condom to enable me to pee, but on the second attempt to pee the condom blew off pee everywhere, after that I just used a bottle. They said if I wanted to do anything else I would have to wear Pampers, I immediately told them that was never going to happen!
Oh what fun ?

29 minutes ago, vogie said:

woke up Sunday morning (about 10 days ago) 0130 with very severe stomach pains,  couldn't get back to sleep. My wife wanted me to go to the Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip, I thought the pain might go away, but it didn't, infact the next day I started to shiver uncontrollably, with my teeth chattering, she called an ambulance and was admitted to the hospital.

They immediately put me on a drip, got the run down of my health from my wife, she told them I drank every night. They xrayed me and gave me a ct scan to check my liver, took blood tests and many more tests. They found I had a severe infection in the body and my temp was very high, told me I had a fever and had to stay in hospital for an unknown period, they immediately started giving me anti-biotics. The xray showed everthing ok but the ct scan picked up a gall bladder stone and they said that was where the infection was. 
Before I was admitted they wanted 30,000baht deposit. The food was the worst I have ever tasted in my life, I just drank the soup and ate the fruit. I was discharged after 3 nights and given a 3000baht refund. They gave me a course of meds to take at home.
Got a letter to attend today, went down about 0630 and got my number, took our own blood pressure tests and then had a 3 hour wait till the doctor arrived, all he said was you need to return in two months for an operation to remove the stone, on asking the price they said it would be 40,000baht, it is not causing me any discomfort so in two minds whether to bother or not.
All the staff were very nice and kind, but just to finish, I had to wear a condom to enable me to pee, but on the second attempt to pee the condom blew off pee everywhere, after that I just used a bottle. They said if I wanted to do anything else I would have to wear Pampers, I immediately told them that was never going to happen!
Oh what fun ?

I feel for you.

I am not there

yet

I had to go see a Doctor at Chulalongkorn as Vichaiyut didn’t have the medication that was prescribed.  I first had to register and pay for an ID card.

฿5

Then, after waiting for almost 3 hours, I met with the Doctor for about 15 minutes went to the pharmacy and picked up my medication.

฿260

so...฿265 all in.

Back in Los Angeles, at UCLA parking alone would be more than double that ($20)  A visit to a Gastroenterologist (not including the cost of the GP who had to refer me) was billed to me at $850.  Yes...eight hundred fifty US dollars.  Nothing other than the rubber glove test.  I raised hell and they lowered it to $350.  If I was insured, (no, I cannot buy insurance even with Obamacare) I would have had a 10% - 20% copay and they probably wouldn’t have reduced the bill to $350.  And I still had to wait almost 2 hours to see the Doctor.

So now I might have to pay ฿325

?

51 minutes ago, vogie said:
 The food was the worst I have ever tasted in my life

the food i got to eat there was at that point the best falang food i had gotten my hands on in thailand, it was delicious. treatment was highly unimpressive tho,

i was put under drop and they stuffed me full of water but the spine shot made it impossible

to pee, when my stomach was about to explode they finally pumped out some pee outa me,

but i overheard she said she was lazy to carry on, i took out the drop and they pretended to be upset i dismissed their ignorance

If this 25% increase for overseas foreigners in this hospital is because they don't pay tax then why does it not apply to a lot of Thai people who do not pay any tax they only pay VAT just like most other people who live here?  I agree that 25% of the Thai price in that hospital would not be a large increase and most foreigners would pay but it is not about tax it is more about xenophobia that is what i believe.

unless someone else can come up with the answer.

regards 

Scotsman   

53 minutes ago, scotsman said:

If this 25% increase for overseas foreigners in this hospital is because they don't pay tax then why does it not apply to a lot of Thai people who do not pay any tax they only pay VAT just like most other people who live here?  I agree that 25% of the Thai price in that hospital would not be a large increase and most foreigners would pay but it is not about tax it is more about xenophobia that is what i believe.

unless someone else can come up with the answer.

regards 

Scotsman   

i think thai nationals are entitled to national thai health care and insurance policies, its their birthright.

i dont think i am.

i also dont think the millions of blackheads in my country are entitled to squat in my own country, leaches the lot of them

Not fair if a foreigner has regular insurance and is living even part time in Thailand.

Not very clear, but if this another issue of dual pricing, it just makes expats and foreigners feel once again that they are just considered as the golden goose in Thailand.

At this rate (no pun here)...foreigners will plainly choose other more welcoming countries.

Once again, the broke cheap charlies with no insurance will get away, get their free or go-fund-me treatment, but the honest ones pay for the rest.

From the current constitution of Thailand (highlighting in bold is mine):

"Section 27. All persons are equal before the law, and shall have rights and liberties and be protected equally under the law. 

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights. 

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of differences in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic and social standing, religious belief, education, or political view which is not contrary to the provisions of the Constitution or on any other grounds, shall not be permitted..."

Therefore, it seems that the debate about Siriraj Hospital's price mark-up for foreigners should be whether it violates the constitution.

10 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Did you have it done after 4pm ... if so it's extra clinic and much more expensive.

I was there at 7am.and it was done at 11am.then had to wait till 1pm.to get a prescription.

I have had this done before 2007 and you are supposed to lay down for 1hr.all they said keep drinking plenty of water.

Some perspective to this talk re Siriraj.
I have been at this hospital many times in the last 8 years,assisting my late wife as she went through various treatments for brain cancer.
Several things "hit" you on your first visit:
1) the sheer numbers of people at the hospital, patients, family, staff etc.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, BAYBOY said:

Some perspective to this talk re Siriraj.
I have been at this hospital many times in the last 8 years,assisting my late wife as she went through various treatments for brain cancer.
Several things "hit" you on your first visit:
1) the sheer numbers of people at the hospital, patients, family, staff etc.

that hit me also,7am.and its already heaving,with people coughing,and not knowing where to go its chaotic.

one other thing make SURE you wear a mask.

Sorry pressed the wrong button.

2) the physical size of the Hospital, the various buildings, many high rise.
3) the almost total lack of Non Thais. Most days I was there I never saw a European or foreign face.
In their year book for 2015 they stated that they had attended to 2,750,000 out patients that year. That is a third of the population of Singapore! I
I would imagine "overseas patients would not have made 1% of the number.

Over 700 doctors, 3000 nurses, 16000 other staff, employed in 2014, it is a wonderful hospital, care and attention to all is 100%. Never ever in over 200 visits did I encounter any bad service or inconsiderate treatment.

It is like going to another planet, all on it's own, doing great things for peoples health. The cost of running, planning, improvements etc must be enormous, and new work is going on all the time.
So if a few patients who are foreigners have to pay a little more than the people who have funded the place.....so be it.
Last Monday I was there with a saw 2 doctors, then the head doctor of the Dept, plus 3 other doctors looked on, then the Professor of the Skin clinic, re issued with a new Patient card, all up over an hour cost 130฿.
Two bottles of Leo........go figure.
Cheers
BAYBOY.

On 5/8/2018 at 3:15 AM, holy cow cm said:

Nope, racist is correct. Over a dinner one night in Bangkok, my very close Thai friend (large business owner) joked about it with me. He got his Masters from Chicago, so he knows a little bit about color.  

Why did we need to know that your friend is a "large business owner"? Is it because you think that "average" Thais are not intelligent enough to comment? 

That sounds most discriminatory.

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

From the current constitution of Thailand (highlighting in bold is mine):

"Section 27. All persons are equal before the law, and shall have rights and liberties and be protected equally under the law. 

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights. 

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of differences in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic and social standing, religious belief, education, or political view which is not contrary to the provisions of the Constitution or on any other grounds, shall not be permitted..."

Therefore, it seems that the debate about Siriraj Hospital's price mark-up for foreigners should be whether it violates the constitution.

Maybe you should have underlined the word "unjust", the hospital feels that the extra fee for non-Thais is justified, end of story.

19 hours ago, poanoi said:

i think australia got it right: until you paid taxes 5 years, you're not going to get

anything for free or at discount. wish my own government would adapt

the sound practice

I think you need to go & work in Auss

Then you will realise it ain't free

So for all the non Aussies this is how it works ( By the way Thailand has the equivalent to FREE )

You work & pay taxes

Then the Government asks for another 2% on top of Gross Income - This is the minimum Medicare levy 

Then they give you another choice on top of that - You either take out some IN PATIENT basic cover or we will take another 1 % & add it to the 2 % already taken

This can add up to being more then a health cover

& you need to find a bulk billing GP or other wise you pay a doctor & only get part of it back due to them charging more then the Gov is willing to pay a GP

The only FREE bit is when you are on a pension as you obvioulsy are not paying taxes anymore

So all my FREE visits to a GP or Hospital surgery are certainly covered by me paying extra Tax on top of my Income Tax, which has ranged from $3000 - $10,000 AUD 

Now look at Thailand 30 bht = $ 1.30 AUD

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

I think you need to go & work in Auss

Then you will realise it ain't free

So for all the non Aussies this is how it works ( By the way Thailand has the equivalent to FREE )

You work & pay taxes

Then the Government asks for another 2% on top of Gross Income - This is the minimum Medicare levy 

Then they give you another choice on top of that - You either take out some IN PATIENT basic cover or we will take another 1 % & add it to the 2 % already taken

This can add up to being more then a health cover

& you need to find a bulk billing GP or other wise you pay a doctor & only get part of it back due to them charging more then the Gov is willing to pay a GP

The only FREE bit is when you are on a pension as you obvioulsy are not paying taxes anymore

So all my FREE visits to a GP or Hospital surgery are certainly covered by me paying extra Tax on top of my Income Tax, which has ranged from $3000 - $10,000 AUD 

Now look at Thailand 30 bht = $ 1.30 AUD

but, you only pay a small sum on top of tax right ?

lets say you get a spinal surgery, you will not pay full price

at the hospital since it is largely covered by the taxes that australian citizens has paid right ?

IMO any immigrant/refugee/sexpat/expat, or any other outsider, should not have the bill largely paid by the tax payers,

neither they nor their ancestors has contributed squat, and is therefore entitled to squat

31 minutes ago, poanoi said:

but, you only pay a small sum on top of tax right ?

As mentioned betveen $3000 - $10,000 Aud - The point as not free like Thaland

Depending on ho good the yr as I could buy a full health policy for less then they take of me for Medicare so it's really the same as being insured by the government 

Someone should check if they with overseas patients means tourists on tourist visas and not expats living here fulltime. Maybe the visa stamp in the passport will help or maybe they will charge extra for all of us with the wrong skin color.

3 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Why did we need to know that your friend is a "large business owner"? Is it because you think that "average" Thais are not intelligent enough to comment? 

That sounds most discriminatory.

You figure it out. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

Someone should check if they with overseas patients means tourists on tourist visas and not expats living here fulltime. Maybe the visa stamp in the passport will help or maybe they will charge extra for all of us with the wrong skin color.

might be different if you hold a ss health card

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Not really true. Taxes are payable if are a pensioner when your annual income exceeds the tax free allowance.

Archived