70 kilogram marbled whipray found in Krabi

webfact

70 kilogram marbled whipray found in Krabi

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

31915.jpg

A marbled whipray was found in Klongtom by a local fisherman 67 year old Mardya Tamsuan. Mr Mardya caught the whipray while he was fishing this early morning (May 7).

The red big whipray is 1.5 metres diameter and two metre from head to tail. The whipray weighs about 70 kilograms.

Mr Mardya says, “I took off from the shore at about 4am. The whipray was caught near Koh Pu while I was fishing for about three hours.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/70-kilogram-marbled-whipray-found-in-krabi

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-07

They just can't leave anything alone,got to kill everything but soi dogs.on the red list of endangered species and all that's going to happen to this fine example is it's going to be sent for checking whatever that means.

2 minutes ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Beautiful animal. 

Yes it was even more beautiful a couple of days ago.gets me how they prosecute tourists for feeding fish but one Thai can come along and kill such a rare thing like this and nothing is mentioned.it didn't even end up as food.checking was reported,what checking to make sure you've killed one of the most rarest animals on earth.

When you look at the headline it was totally wrong a man found this fish.it should of been man catches and  kills super rare fish for no reason.im sorry but it makes me so angry when I read this sort of thing.last month a young Thai lad was showing us a picture of a marbled Wild cat.it may be  a fishing cat that he had shot.

14 hours ago, happy chappie said:

They just can't leave anything alone,got to kill everything but soi dogs.on the red list of endangered species and all that's going to happen to this fine example is it's going to be sent for checking whatever that means.

'THEY'

I bet they are happy ..just like you

On 07/05/2018 at 3:42 PM, RotMahKid said:

For me when I look at it, it's more like The Leopard Whipray (Himantura leoparda)  listed on the red list of Threatened species of the IUCN.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/195456/0

but as always I can be mistaken.

Yeah sure, doesn't even look remotely like a leopard whipray, but as long as it floats your PC boat.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Yeah sure, doesn't even look remotely like a leopard whipray, but as long as it floats your PC boat.

The man said he could be mistaken.its that rare even when you google it they haven't got an image of one.nearest being a honeycombed ray.i don't understand why you've replied with just a bitching at someone who's tried to put something positive into the subject and even said he may be mistaken.you and expatlover from the reply above seem to be two peas out of the same pod.

27 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

The man said he could be mistaken.its that rare even when you google it they haven't got an image of one.nearest being a honeycombed ray.i don't understand why you've replied with just a bitching at someone who's tried to put something positive into the subject and even said he may be mistaken.you and expatlover from the reply above seem to be two peas out of the same pod.

You think the fisherman went out specifically to catch this whipray, or is it possible that he just caught it by coincidence?

So accusing him from catching a protected species is simply over the top PC.

15 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You think the fisherman went out specifically to catch this whipray, or is it possible that he just caught it by coincidence?

No I don't think he went out to catch this fish as it will probably be another 10 years before he could catch something as special as this fish.the chances are though that this fish was probably alive when he hauled it in and could of released it back to help the population of this rare breed.your argument is very weak on this subject I might add.another tv member here with great input on the report.keep it up chaps,your now making yourselves look very stupid with your bitching comments.

3 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

the chances are though that this fish was probably alive when he hauled it in and could of released it back to help the population of this rare breed.your argument is very weak on this subject I might add.

Maybe the fisherman doesn't spend all day on the internet, and isn't aware that this species is endangered or protected.

37 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

you have obviously never heard of catch and release, not catch and kill as they do here. I have caught many rays as well as other species over the years and I simply cut them lose and let them swim away, especially if its a rare or protected species. Trouble in Thailand is they kill everything and dont give a sh*t about them being protected, real wonder is it didnt end up in a pot

22 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Maybe the fisherman doesn't spend all day on the internet, and isn't aware that this species is endangered or protected.

No that's why he's hung it out like a bloody trophy and got pictures of it.he knows what he's caught believe me,he knows because he's a fisherman and you don't see these everyday of the week.i never knew what this majestic animal was until I read this report but if I had pulled it out of the water I would definitely done my best to release it unharmed.you can keep on sticking up for this fella but at the end of the day if people like him had their way the only thing swimming about in the sea would be plastic bottles.

18 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

but at the end of the day if people like him had their way the only thing swimming about in the sea would be plastic bottles.

Maybe you should look in the mirror, because if people like you would stop eating fish, there would be a lot more fish in the sea and less fishermen on the boats and the chance they would catch this species would be much lower.

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Maybe you should look in the mirror, because if people like you would stop eating fish, there would be a lot more fish in the sea and less fishermen on the boats and the chance they would catch this species would be much lower.

Don't eat fish mate.fresh water fish are infested with flukes and pollutants including mercury.sea fish are way to expensive as I live far inland and have only eaten cod or salmon in the past that were probably farmed.i am partial to frozen sea prawns from macro in my rice soup though.you really don't get the gist of this report do you? Even after another member has told you about the catch and release.lets put it in black and white for you.....he may of caught this fish by accident that nobody is saying differently.its his actions after that of killing the beautiful thing and hanging it like a trophy....now go on keep defending this man and don't try turning it around by saying I should look in the mirror crap.seriously you should just go quietly and fade away on this report because your clueless and ignorance is showing through.

4 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

seriously you should just go quietly and fade away on this report because your clueless and ignorance is showing through.

Why should I?

I have the right to have an opinion, and if that isn't the same as yours or anyone else on this forum, is no reason to go away or even call me ignorant.

Actually I think posts calling other members ignorant get removed.

20 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Why should I?

I have the right to have an opinion, and if that isn't the same as yours or anyone else on this forum, is no reason to go away or even call me ignorant.

Actually I think posts calling other members ignorant get removed.

Ok if it pleases you I'll call myself ignorant as I'm going to make a point of ignoring you in the future.there feel better now.

2 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Ok if it pleases you I'll call myself ignorant as I'm going to make a point of ignoring you in the future.there feel better now.

Be my guest, so since you will not see my posts any more, I hope and expect no replies from you in the future.

I hope you know how to put someone on ignore, otherwise I can send you a small tutorial.

Fully agree on the grotesque in jailing and fining a smoker on the beach.

But what can one expect from somebody who is poor, uneducated and who probably cannot write his name in his own language ?  And wrong !, he does give a damm to save an endangered species...that is his own species,  to not get extinct by poverty or hunger......

So what GreenPeace recommends, one may reasonably understand that the chap does not give a sh*it !!

On 5/8/2018 at 10:51 PM, janclaes47 said:

He did catch at protected species, that's a fact. If he did on purpose or not doesn't change that. And please look up what "PC" means, because you obviously haven't got a clue.

On 5/9/2018 at 12:39 AM, happy chappie said:

No that's why he's hung it out like a bloody trophy and got pictures of it.he knows what he's caught believe me,he knows because he's a fisherman and you don't see these everyday of the week.i never knew what this majestic animal was until I read this report but if I had pulled it out of the water I would definitely done my best to release it unharmed.you can keep on sticking up for this fella but at the end of the day if people like him had their way the only thing swimming about in the sea would be plastic bottles.

Imagine the time in your life when you were the most broke, and you may get a feeling of what these guys' lives are like from birth to death.  Then imagine you stumbled upon a catch that could fetch 2 months' salary as seafood, and probably a lot more than that as a specimen.  It would make a huge difference in your financial worries for at least the next year or two- maybe even changing your life and the lives of your entire family if the right buyer comes along.

Go ahead and be disgusted.  But put your blame in the right place.  Not directed at a poor fisherman struggling to feed his family.

24 minutes ago, impulse said:

Imagine the time in your life when you were the most broke, and you may get a feeling of what these guys' lives are like from birth to death.  Then imagine you stumbled upon a catch that could fetch 2 months' salary as seafood, and probably a lot more than that as a specimen.  It would make a huge difference in your financial worries for at least the next year or two- maybe even changing your life and the lives of your entire family if the right buyer comes along.

Go ahead and be disgusted.  But put your blame in the right place.  Not directed at a poor fisherman struggling to feed his family.

So he sold it did he? How much did he get for it? I tell you what,you go out and  catch one and kill it then take it to the marine bio centre and see what you get for it....my thinking is you'll get over 5 years.you might change your mind if it was a whale shark caught in his nets like one was reported last week.didnt see them slaughter it for enough money to feed the family for 10 years.

7 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

So he sold it did he? How much did he get for it? I tell you what,you go out and  catch one and kill it then take it to the marine bio centre and see what you get for it....my thinking is you'll get over 5 years.

You're missing the point.  If a chemical company dumps some toxins that kill 98% of the fish, then an artisinal fisherman catches one of the last 2%, who's to blame for the demise of the species? 

I'll give you a hint.  It ain't the fisherman who took one fish to feed his family.

I'm only going by what I have read.it was sent to a marine centre for checking,not sold.your surmising of him to put food on the table for his starving family are based on what may I ask? My betting is he got told think yourself lucky you dont go to prison and now run along and don't do it again.rewarding him with big prize money would only send out a wrong message of let's all go out and catch whiprays.at a guess I would say that no marine bio centre around the world has big prizes for catching and killing rare animals.

Archived