Criminal Record Check

I had a criminal Record Check done through the forensics department in Chiang Rai last year in May.

I have now changed schools and will need to go for a new Non-B.

Some people are saying I don't need a new Record Check. Some say I do.

I'm with an agency who says not needed but I don't quite trust his judgement as he's been very wrong before.

Anyone know for sure?

Your school normally needs to provide a letter to explain the reason why you need the check. I suspect you'll need a new check for the new school unless you are working directly for the agency.

checked with our staff and they said that the check has the name of the school that sponsored the request so you'll need another one unless your current doesn't have the name of your school.

I know that Vientiane will want one for every "new" school. I learned the hard way. Even if you end up getting it some other place, just get it done. It's definitely inconvenient but its better to have the peace of mind knowing that when you hand in all that paperwork you are going to walk away the next day with a Non-B. 

1st, an observation; if you worked for an agency at the old school and you are still working for that agency going to a new school then you shouldn't need a new check as you are not changing employers, only work locations.

2nd, I've been here going on 17 years and did an FBI criminal history check 13-14(?) yrs ago online when they first decided they needed 1. I have never done or been asked to do another 1 since. I have changed jobs but still never needed to redo a check. I include a copy with every wp app and/or renewal and it is always accepted.

Must be some kind of safeguard against getting bad new teachers is all I can think of. Just my 2 cents worth.

I've checked my record and it lists my old school on it. I've also been told that the checks done here in Thailand have an expiry date. I really don't want to be denied a Non-B in Laos when I go.

I've always looked at a TEFL as a piece of paper for those without not only bachelor's degree but more importantly, the university experience.

I've not done a TEFL nor would I part with 15-45k (555) for one here in BKK. Ever notice how not one TEFL school in decades has been able to become that quality, go to school? Because the certification is faulty, the schools dodgy, the teachers sketchy and they all over sell and under deliver.

Get yourself into a public school, bust your ass every day that you are teaching the kids something. At the same time absorb what's around you, find a mentor if possible, spend hours on the internet reading. Get in early, leave late and volunteer for every activity. After two years you'll be on your way to becoming a decent teacher.

TEFL, CELTA and all that crap is just CYA insurance for language centers and crap schools that can't tell a good teacher from a bad one.

CELTA... teaching grammar to adults. Not gonna help in all the decent jobs here. DELTA, same.

Many public schools won't pay for a master's or a licensed teacher. It just keep you in the game.

In fact, I think one of these certs is kinda telling in a negative way. The person did not pay attention in university, not involved in social activities and never considered teaching as a vocation.

But like I said, these certificates are not required because they are so marginal. Really for fools. I've read dozens of times they do almost nothing to prepare one for the classroom on this and other Thai teacher forums.

It's a scam perpetrated by the industry. Check Craigslist for a good laugh. Free TEFL and free job placement - such a deal!

ozmeldo, the thread is about criminal background checks and nothing to do with certificates. I've been teaching in public schools in Thailand for 4 years now.  I know what it's about.

14 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

I've always looked at a TEFL as a piece of paper for those without not only bachelor's degree but more importantly, the university experience.

I've not done a TEFL nor would I part with 15-45k (555) for one here in BKK. Ever notice how not one TEFL school in decades has been able to become that quality, go to school? Because the certification is faulty, the schools dodgy, the teachers sketchy and they all over sell and under deliver.

Get yourself into a public school, bust your ass every day that you are teaching the kids something. At the same time absorb what's around you, find a mentor if possible, spend hours on the internet reading. Get in early, leave late and volunteer for every activity. After two years you'll be on your way to becoming a decent teacher.

TEFL, CELTA and all that crap is just CYA insurance for language centers and crap schools that can't tell a good teacher from a bad one.

CELTA... teaching grammar to adults. Not gonna help in all the decent jobs here. DELTA, same.

Many public schools won't pay for a master's or a licensed teacher. It just keep you in the game.

In fact, I think one of these certs is kinda telling in a negative way. The person did not pay attention in university, not involved in social activities and never considered teaching as a vocation.

But like I said, these certificates are not required because they are so marginal. Really for fools. I've read dozens of times they do almost nothing to prepare one for the classroom on this and other Thai teacher forums.

It's a scam perpetrated by the industry. Check Craigslist for a good laugh. Free TEFL and free job placement - such a deal!

Rambling rants that have absolutely no relevance to anything posted before it on a thread always put a smile on my face - thank you.

wow - just 2 years and you've trained yourself to be the best.

I've obviously misposted to this thread, apologies. No I'm not the best teacher - just one of the few that try. I did not state I but you - you'll be on your way.  Hope you don't teach reading skills.

I'd just get the damn check bro. Many have stated if you're going to Vientiane you'll be needing a fresh one. I always go absolutely overboard with all my documentation. Leave nothing to chance. If you get bounced back from Lao, think of the hassle and cost. No brainier.

Archived