Jontien beach disaster zone! Stinking black sea as tourists flee!

webfact

Jontien beach disaster zone! Stinking black sea as tourists flee!

10pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai media Thai Rath pulled no punches in a report that said that Jomtien beach in Pattaya was a virtual disaster zone.

Filthy, stinking black water had turned a one kilometer stretch of the beach into a no go area.

They suggested that the water was poisonous and possibly dangerous to swim in.

Pictures showed the disgusting state of the beach across a very wide area.

A pipe in the area of the Poo Pen restaurant was disgorging noxious water into the sea turning it a filthy black.

Yesterday a whole army of local officials, coastal resource staff and even the Na Jomtien police were surveying the environmental damage.

Run off from the city after many days of heavy rain has been named as the culprit.

Thai Rath said in their headline that "tourists fled in all directions" from the stinking mess at Jomtien.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-08

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no surprise.

Where are the Pattaya and Jomtien waste water treatment plants again ?

I know of one at the Bali Hai pier

and another in Jomtien on Soi Wat Boon both of which I suspect are totally undersized if working at all !

2 minutes ago, johng said:

another in Jomtien on Soi Wat Boon

And is it now actually in operation?

For years I passed there without knowing what is behind the gate.

(a friend lives close by)

And if it doesn't stink it doesn't work

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And is it now actually in operation?

For years I passed there without knowing what is behind the gate.

(a friend lives close by)

And if it doesn't stink it doesn't work

Last time I looked not being used, but if it ever is then those condos being built next door... well !!!!

5af1395e6b91d_P_20170516_101346(Large).jpg.f322ede99e5bdf648a8a80a2c26c18be.jpg

5af13978b6642_P_20170516_101350(Large).jpg.7f439c01145a131eadac7d8c1198255e.jpg

56 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

A little over exaggeration maybe ?? It's not a swarm of killer hornets... 

No over exaggeration and no joke. Pattaya and Jomtien is normally something to run away from. Now when the water is black too, then the last reason to stay just went away. 

I worked in Bangkok in the late eighties, every weekend folks would head down to Pattaya, those with kids would stay at a place on the beach with a swimming pool as even back then the sea was far too dirty to swim in (or paddle!)

~30 years later, what has been done? Sheer greed still rules, money going into peoples pockets instead of improving and taking care of the environment! :sad:

41 minutes ago, champers said:

Don't know if related in any way, but Pattaya beach is awash with garbage this morning: plastic water bottles and polystyrene food containers mainly.

All all the garbage after the seafood festival,

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A pipe in the area of the Poo Pen restaurant was disgorging noxious water into the sea turning it a filthy black

Why worry today, as resident I saw this for years, and it didn't discourage Russian and Chinese.

Nothing new they have been dumping raw sewage in to the sea about 1/2 kilometer out from the beach forever and still probably is. Know one knows because you have to follow the pipes, and then you will see what you are about to swim in. 

Have wonderful swim with the turds.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I worked in Bangkok in the late eighties, every weekend folks would head down to Pattaya, those with kids would stay at a place on the beach with a swimming pool as even back then the sea was far too dirty to swim in (or paddle!)

~30 years later, what has been done? Sheer greed still rules, money going into peoples pockets instead of improving and taking care of the environment! :sad:

Can't go back as far as you CGW. But certainly in the early 2000's years. It was well known that many small apartment blocks and shops ran their sewerage systems directly into the street drainage. Rather than pay for expensive septic tanks needing to be emptied at a cost. Of course brown envelopes ensured a smooth ride with the planning officer. 

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

No over exaggeration and no joke. Pattaya and Jomtien is normally something to run away from. Now when the water is black too, then the last reason to stay just went away.

Serves folk right for running to there in the first place Get Real , a better option than swimming there I suppose.

11 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Serves folk right for running to there in the first place Get Real , a better option than swimming there I suppose.

Ok ,the last possible reason for not running. Never stated that it was a main factor.

5 hours ago, CLW said:
7 hours ago, johng said:
Last time I looked not being used, but if it ever is then those condos being built next door... well !!!!
5af1395e6b91d_P_20170516_101346(Large).jpg.f322ede99e5bdf648a8a80a2c26c18be.jpg

5af13978b6642_P_20170516_101350(Large).jpg.7f439c01145a131eadac7d8c1198255e.jpg

What an utter waste of money and space

Totally agree. Someone should bring the obvious non-use of this STW to the attention of the military government.

I'm sure, with the expectations of the EEC projects and Prayut's vision to encourage family tourism to Eastern Thailand, something as basic as sewage treatment, or lack of it, at a resort such as Jomtiem should bring a response to the STW operators.

Why you guys who live there haven't already brought this to someone's attention amazes me.

Every story I hear like this reinforces my decision to move to Chiangmai, about as far from a beach as I can get. It may be a bit smoky sometimes but nothing compared to the filth and degradation of the “resorts” beginning with, and smelling of, P.

Totally agree. Someone should bring the obvious non-use of this STW to the attention of the military government.

I'm sure, with the expectations of the EEC projects and Prayut's vision to encourage family tourism to Eastern Thailand, something as basic as sewage treatment, or lack of it, at a resort such as Jomtiem should bring a response to the STW operators.

Why you guys who live there haven't already brought this to someone's attention amazes me.
As far I can remember the last time there was some sewage water in the sea the local TV channel Sophon cable also reported about the not working plants. Since then heard nothing more. Was it shutdown from the junta government [emoji848]?

Archived