Penang consulate limits visa applications to 100 per day

Penang consulate limits visa applications to 100 per day

The Phuket News

1525765997_1-org.jpg

The notice was posted earlier today (May 8). Image: Royal Thai Consulate-General, Penang

PHUKET: The Royal Thai Consulate-General in Penang has announced that it will limit the number of visas issued to just 100 per day, starting from Monday (May 14).

Persons with incomplete documents will not be permitted to enter the building and those found to have had their visa application rejected must not apply until next day, the consulate said in a notice issued earlier today (May 8) marked “ANNOUNCEMENT (visa matters esp. tourists) starting from Monday, 14 May”

Overstays incur a high risk of visa refusal and submission of fake documents will automatically incur a one-year ban on applying for a visa to enter the country, the notice warned.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/penang-consulate-limits-visa-applications-to-100-per-day-67043.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-05-08
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

No bank statements in UK Pounds accepted which seems strange

I would suggest the fake documents refers to Airline tickets using a service where a ticket can be "rented" not really surprising they are checking these considering the total idiots that discuss how to do this on a open forum

It does seem odd that if in pounds you have to do the conversion for them and state the rate used.

I suspect fake documents are ones that have been created to meet other requirements as well. Accommodations come to mind as a possibility.

Doesn't look like Penang is a fun place anymore for visas. Authority seems to be stamped down.

That said, they are probably being realistic with the 100 applications a day, I wonder how many they have been receiving? A little bit of extra planning might be required for applicants from now on, a couple of days planned stay extra instead of just an overnight stop.

Good luck to one and all.

29 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

No bank statements in UK Pounds accepted which seems strange

I would suggest the fake documents refers to Airline tickets using a service where a ticket can be "rented" not really surprising they are checking these considering the total idiots that discuss how to do this on a open forum

And the 1 year ban is rather harsh

Is that unprecedented ?

Getting blacklisted without overstaying (and maybe without even entering Thailand at all )

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Is that unprecedented ?

Getting blacklisted without overstaying (and maybe without even entering Thailand at all )

I would suggest that that means applying for a visa for 1 year from Penang not being banned from entering the country for 1 year

Whether that means from all Embassies is unclear, they would only be able to do this if they put something in your PP

• Like 1

Is this applicable to ALL types of visa application or just tourist visa applications? 

Non-O visa applications have never required details of accommodation or onward travel, and overseas non-Baht bank statements have been accepted. The advice seems only applicable to tourist visa applications.

• Like 1

Changes to visa applications at the Thai Consulate-General in Penang

"...if they're found to submit any fake documents they will be blacklisted for a year."

By The Thaiger

Thai-visa-run-Penang-Malaysia-2.jpg

The Royal Thai Consulate-General in Penang has announced changes to its acceptance and delivery of visas.

Penang, Malaysia, has been a popular destination for expats and tourists to head to, particularly from Phuket. There is an entire visa-run industry heading out of the island each day heading for Penang with hotels, restaurants and taxis all ready for the daily hordes seeking visas to extend their stay or convert to Non Immigrant visas for a longer stay in the Kingdom. The van trip can take around 10 hours.

Just recently Air Asia announced daily flights to the island of Penang out of Phuket to compete with Firefly airline which was the only direct flights from Phuket to Penang. The flight takes around an hour.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/changes-to-visa-applications-at-the-thai-consulate-general-in-penang

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-09

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is possible that agents will be exempt from these limits. I could imagine the whole objective being to make it difficult for individual applicants, pushing people towards using agents who pay a small commission on each application.

I know an agent who goes in the afternoon despite the rules saying forms to be done in the morning.

Just heard from a friend who went there. At Malaysian border post he was told he cannot enter Malaysia again this calendar year. He's been going to Malaysia often for 20 years sometimes staying for the full 3 months.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Doesn't look like Penang is a fun place anymore for visas. Authority seems to be stamped down.

That said, they are probably being realistic with the 100 applications a day, I wonder how many they have been receiving? A little bit of extra planning might be required for applicants from now on, a couple of days planned stay extra instead of just an overnight stop.

I've been there twice in the past, quite some time ago actually. And I was surprised at how the place is basically in a suburban residential area, and almost appears to be a house! It's tiny   

16 hours ago, chrisinth said:

And what happens on the days when you have 2 or 3 tour buses stopping to get visa applications - that in itself is more than 100.  Do they cut off one bus at the half the bus, take no individual applications for a few days?  Artificial limits are stupid, if they want to cut down the work - then just be more strict.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sanemax said:

Is that unprecedented ?

Actually, a one year ban is still lenient.  Fake documents = fraud = criminal... which if pursued would get you banned for life.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

And what happens on the days when you have 2 or 3 tour buses stopping to get visa applications - that in itself is more than 100.  Do they cut off one bus at the half the bus, take no individual applications for a few days?  Artificial limits are stupid, if they want to cut down the work - then just be more strict.  

They are being more strict and cutting down the work, that's what this change is about, did you  actually read the article?

3 hours ago, my friend I said:

Just heard from a friend who went there. At Malaysian border post he was told he cannot enter Malaysia again this calendar year. He's been going to Malaysia often for 20 years sometimes staying for the full 3 months.

Huge news

3 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

They are being more strict and cutting down the work, that's what this change is about, did you  actually read the article?

Strict != artificial limit.  Yes, they are somewhat more strict, but they could change it to limit it to no more than 2 visas per year (from any embassy) -- the 3rd will be rejected.   If they are going to limit it they should give preference to Malaysians.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

4 hours ago, my friend I said:

damn what did they do to piss them off? Fake documents or something?

12 minutes ago, Foxy52 said:

Looks like they're trying to exclude to riff-raff and not before time

It would be interesting to read your definition of "riff-raff", please elaborate. One is not at all sure one doesn't fit the profile which, if so, would be gratifying, since you clearly consider yourself to be somewhat superior to the common detritus, and one wouldn't wish to be tarred with the same brush as you. 

Edited by PerkinsCuthbert
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Or get up early to get in line. My wife needed a German visa from London and we had to get there at 6am to be sure of getting in to make the application. I believe they had a 100 limit too.