Penang consulate limits visa applications to 100 per day

Penang is dead, no more visa run there, they are cleaning up.

Only place to go is Vientiane in Laos, they don't ask anything there, no airline ticket, no hotel reservation, nothing, just money and you get your visa.

Did 2 tourist visa this year already, no problem, just pay and come back next day but this will stop one day for sure, too easy.

But they clearly make a lot of money with visa there until it stops.

Edited by phuketlive

Yangon is still a very good option although it has been about a year since I got my last tourist visa there. Think they only wanted to see a plane ticket into Thailand and not out. No bank statements required. Very helpful staff there and was never crowded unlike the madhouse at Vientiane.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to read your definition of "riff-raff", please elaborate. One is not at all sure one doesn't fit the profile which, if so, would be gratifying, since you clearly consider yourself to be somewhat superior to the common detritus, and one wouldn't wish to be tarred with the same brush as you. 

That would have been me 40 years ago when, as an impoverished backpacker, I was turfed out of Malaysia for staying in in unlicensed guesthouse on Batu Ferringhi beach. Am now a (slightly) more respectable elderly gent on a retirement visa. Bottom line I think is that if you can't afford to fly, you aren't high on their list of priorities and maybe even approaching person non grata status

11 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Why is it dead? They have not said no more Tourist Visas will be issued there they just want the paperwork to be in order

In fact it will probably be easier to get a TV there as not as many people will be going

The usual over reaction

My big concern in Penang these days would be that they are quick to use the red stamp that can inhibit getting further tourist visas in the region. Obviously, this is only a problem for people wanting to apply for multiple tourist visas over the life of their existing passport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

My big concern in Penang these days would be that they are quick to use the red stamp that can inhibit getting further tourist visas in the region. Obviously, this is only a problem for people wanting to apply for multiple tourist visas over the life of their existing passport.

If you can provide all they require then they may not do that, according to some on this forum if you provide Savanakhet with what they require they will issue you as many as you want

Maybe Penang will be the same way?

Time will tell

9 minutes ago, Foxy52 said:

It would be interesting to read your definition of "riff-raff", please elaborate. One is not at all sure one doesn't fit the profile which, if so, would be gratifying, since you clearly consider yourself to be somewhat superior to the common detritus, and one wouldn't wish to be tarred with the same brush as you. 

That would have been me 40 years ago when, as an impoverished backpacker, I was turfed out of Malaysia for staying in in unlicensed guesthouse on Batu Ferringhi beach. Am now a (slightly) more respectable elderly gent on a retirement visa. Bottom line I think is that if you can't afford to fly, you aren't high on their list of priorities and maybe even approaching person non grata status

Who is to say who can or cannot afford to fly, and who is to be the arbiter? Do you suppose that, though you were a backpacker forty years ago and bummed around SE Asia, you are in some way superior and no longer a member of the riff-raff that you clearly despise, now that you are comfortably retired and can afford to fly? 

That strikes me as no more than a symptom of that common disease in oldies, "Theworldsgoingtothedogsitis"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorted ..... Don't go to Penang!  Too much hassle unless you have all the documentation AND are prepared to be refused entry because of a 100 person a day quota.  It is basically saying "You are not welcome here".  

I don't know the demographics, politics or whatever other reasons are behind this other than suspecting fraudulent documents and undesirables trying to enter Thailand.  I know there are criminals, terrorist concerns and illegal immigrants that plague South East Asian countries.

But the fallout is that it does impact on decent people.  No longer is it easy to just book a one way ticket, book a hotel, hostel on the go as you arrive in town (as I use to like to do it in the past) and later sort yourself out to find nice accommodation that is far cheaper than doing it all online. Then just book a plane ticket when you have decided where to next.  That was the whole idea of travelling like that.  Plan on the go.  Like in other countries. 

Now we have to plan ahead, book tickets that often are cancelled or changed at cost to the buyer so that they can have more control of their destinations.  Some people are sticklers for planning and itineraries but many like the freedom to choose ahead of time.  One size does not fit all.  That's why there's things like flexible global travel insurance for people who can do this.  

Thailand used to be a cheap backpacking mecca for young (and not so young) people to go about freely as as long as they leave, or extend when their visa is up then fine. 

A no hassle easy holiday or short term stay.  No adding layers of bureaucracy to it - I mean ... bank statements converted to Thai currency?  How on Earth is that going to happen?  That is confusion in itself.  And who is going to do that for you?  Are we going to need a notary as well and official stamps?  Give me a break!  

To me this is draconian, backward thinking and not moving with the times.  There are plenty of other ways to do this.  So many ways to be smarter.  Technology has made it easier but immigration and others are just not using it and sticking to old fashioned restrictive methods that punish and turn away good people. 

• Like 2

What visa does this relate to i presume  tourist visa  . if its a multi entry 1 year how would you have return air ticket . I got retirement from the multi entry non o . never needed to show air ticket / 

29 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Sorted ..... Don't go to Penang!  Too much hassle unless you have all the documentation AND are prepared to be refused entry because of a 100 person a day quota.  It is basically saying "You are not welcome here".  

I don't know the demographics, politics or whatever other reasons are behind this other than suspecting fraudulent documents and undesirables trying to enter Thailand.  I know there are criminals, terrorist concerns and illegal immigrants that plague South East Asian countries.

But the fallout is that it does impact on decent people.  No longer is it easy to just book a one way ticket, book a hotel, hostel on the go as you arrive in town (as I use to like to do it in the past) and later sort yourself out to find nice accommodation that is far cheaper than doing it all online. Then just book a plane ticket when you have decided where to next.  That was the whole idea of travelling like that.  Plan on the go.  Like in other countries. 

Now we have to plan ahead, book tickets that often are cancelled or changed at cost to the buyer so that they can have more control of their destinations.  Some people are sticklers for planning and itineraries but many like the freedom to choose ahead of time.  One size does not fit all.  That's why there's things like flexible global travel insurance for people who can do this.  

Thailand used to be a cheap backpacking mecca for young (and not so young) people to go about freely as as long as they leave, or extend when their visa is up then fine. 

A no hassle easy holiday or short term stay.  No adding layers of bureaucracy to it - I mean ... bank statements converted to Thai currency?  How on Earth is that going to happen?  That is confusion in itself.  And who is going to do that for you?  Are we going to need a notary as well and official stamps?  Give me a break!  

To me this is draconian, backward thinking and not moving with the times.  There are plenty of other ways to do this.  So many ways to be smarter.  Technology has made it easier but immigration and others are just not using it and sticking to old fashioned restrictive methods that punish and turn away good people. 

I think it another way of telling us we are not wanted  . only short time holiday makers wanted to spend their money and leave 

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is possible that agents will be exempt from these limits. I could imagine the whole objective being to make it difficult for individual applicants, pushing people towards using agents who pay a small commission on each application.

Ya that may be the objective. It's basically how another nameless immigration office runs things.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanemax said:
10 hours ago, my friend I said:

Just heard from a friend who went there. At Malaysian border post he was told he cannot enter Malaysia again this calendar year. He's been going to Malaysia often for 20 years sometimes staying for the full 3 months.

Huge news

Not new-news to me.  They quit the "one week out and come back over and over" rule awhile back.  I would not expect to stay there more than two 90-day stints per-year, and those not back-to-back. 

OTOH, if you get married or a job, people I have spoken to say the process is much easier than Thailand.  You also have the "My 2nd Home" program as an option, which doesn't involve burning sums of money (like Thailand's Elite visa).  So, it's not all bad - if you like living there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is possible that agents will be exempt from these limits. I could imagine the whole objective being to make it difficult for individual applicants, pushing people towards using agents who pay a small commission on each application.

I think so too. The visa business through agents will rise, and bring some more Income for the consulates. BTW, on busy days the embassy produced more than 400 visas a day.

• Like 2

Two years ago they did a next day service. A taxi driver told me a new woman had taken over and now people had to wait a few days with out warning. Is this a ploy to get people to spend more money in the local town with hotels etc or is it to get more facebook time? Which ever way it's painful. I guess they will want colour photo copies of our parents passports soon, birth certificate copies (in colour) and signed papers by our first headmasters.

On 08/05/2018 at 12:41 PM, darrendsd said:

The procedure is exactly the same as it was, Penang have had these requirements for a while now

All they are doing is ensuring that no time is wasted by people who don't know how to fill forms in, I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for the staff

All that has really changed is that they may or may not actually start checking flight tickets, hotel reservations to see if they are real, genuine applicants will have no problems with this

It will be more stringent and messy from after the 14th for a while, always is when implement these notices and start dates, 100 limit on visa issue is also very low unless for direct applicants only as agents exceed that on their own customer applications a day ... they won't be able check flights besides fact time and flight number real as passenger info restricted and requires lot of steps to have access to easy database checking, checking reservations possible but time consuming and costly.

Would be better if just implemented better requirements of financial evidence and increased prices and require 7 days before re-entry for those with more than 2 setvs in a year.  2 things the guys working on setv don't have is money and spare time, more tourist leisure individuals have the money and happy spend a week plus touring while applying for setv .

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Why is it dead? They have not said no more Tourist Visas will be issued there they just want the paperwork to be in order

In fact it will probably be easier to get a TV there as not as many people will be going

The usual over reaction

haha over reaction

it's dead yes, why go to a place where they make it very difficult to get a tourist visa when you can get one easily in laos where they don't ask anything, no airline ticket, no hotel reservation, no bank statement.

they just make it clear they don't want to give tourist visas like they used to, and if you are unlucky to be there and there are more than 100 people, they don't even let you in... How nice is that.

Unless you like to lose your time getting all the papers they ask.

Vientiane, the best is to go when there are no visa run going there, very quiet on these days like i did last month, fast and efficient tourist visa service.

Edited by phuketlive

8 hours ago, calbts2 said:

Yangon is still a very good option although it has been about a year since I got my last tourist visa there. Think they only wanted to see a plane ticket into Thailand and not out. No bank statements required. Very helpful staff there and was never crowded unlike the madhouse at Vientiane.

Vientiane is crowded when visa runs are there, i go there the day after a visa run, very quiet, nice, fast.

Just check when visa runs go there and don't go the same day :)

no headache, they just want 1 000 bahts, that's it and you're good.

56 minutes ago, phuketlive said:

Vientiane is crowded when visa runs are there, i go there the day after a visa run, very quiet, nice, fast.

Just check when visa runs go there and don't go the same day :)

no headache, they just want 1 000 bahts, that's it and you're good.

Is there a pattern to visa runs - I would think it would be a scattered graph with no specific pattern.

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Is there a pattern to visa runs - I would think it would be a scattered graph with no specific pattern.

Most visa run groups apply Monday and Thursday mornings. For people who want to spend a few days in Vientiane, it is highly recommended to apply on Friday, getting the passport back with visa Monday afternoon. It is very relaxed that way. People who want to stay a single night should try to apply Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Most visa run groups apply Monday and Thursday mornings. For people who want to spend a few days in Vientiane, it is highly recommended to apply on Friday, getting the passport back with visa Monday afternoon. It is very relaxed that way. People who want to stay a single night should try to apply Tuesday or Wednesday.

Exactly !

There are a few good restaurants, tyson kitchen, ai capone for the best pizza in vientiane, boh pen yang is a good place to go for a drink and other places to discover.

good coffee shops too, i prefer going there than penang.

Edited by phuketlive

I guess consulates may close.

KUALA LUMPUR: Chief secretary to the government Ali Hamsa on Thursday (May 10) announced that Thursday and Friday will be declared additional public holidays for the whole of Malaysia in conjunction with the 14th general election.

Sunday will be the additional public holiday for states observing Friday and Saturday as the weekend holidays, he said.