Penang consulate limits visa applications to 100 per day

What is going on? What are they going to come up with next?

These increasingly common stories of people being refused at Suvarnabhumi, now a Consulate behaving like this (and surely the others will follow).

Stricter and stricter, more and more reasons to refuse you entry to the Kingdom.

The general vibe is that foreigners are not wanted here at all, unless they are on a 2-week trip with a return ticket. They are going to put-off long term travellers, ex-pats and investors, surely? How can this be good for Thailand? If the people married to a Thai move back to their home country this can only be financially detrimental to the country.

Admittedly the Philippines has some issues, but look at their visa system and immigration. Much easier.

• Like 1

I went to the consulate in Penamg today for a setv and the atmosphere was not pleasant. I had everything in order and even a letter from someone I know in Thailand to confirm that I'm going to the hospital in Bangkok and by no means are doing anything illegal. Only one visa exemption in the passport.

I was there 6.20 pm because of all the rumors about not getting a spot to be able to apply. Not a soul there when I arrived. One guy entered around 8pm with a backpack which I guess was the agent with all the passports for the visa agencies. Around 8.15 other "normal" applicants started to show up. Felt like a <deleted> for standing there for 2 hours getting killed by mosquitos for nothing. There were maybe 30 people or so lining up at 9.00.

When the guard opened the gate he was very pissed of at us for some reason. Got the receipt and filled it out. No need to fill out your info in a logbook anymore. I didnt rush to the counter s like some other people so got some time to listen to the officers questions tor the applicants ahead of me. The counter to the left was asking everyone applying an awful lot of questions and seemed not very happy to see all these applicants. I got my turn and for me it went much more smoothly with my officer to the right. Just a few questions, I got my receipt back and quickly left.

Outside I sat down to talk to some of the others there and while having a chat a girl came out to and told me that after I applied everyone after me got rejected.

I dont remember this place being like this. This used to be easy and relaxed. Now you better hope for a nice officer if you have previous Thai stamps or visas in your passport. And if you are lacking any documentation forget about it.

When they start using even more strict rules shortly I cant see the officers getting more relaxed. This place feels just like a bad mistake now, especially if you are relying on setvs for staying in Thailand. I have a round ticket to penang in 85 days but gonna try and go to Laos next time since I need more time for hospital visits and relying on penang consulate not to screw you over seems like a risk. Maybe I'm wrong but they certainly dont feel happy to see you applying for visas there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Seeing the empty hotels, dying restaurants and cheap airplanes loaded with cheapest Chinese tourists I wonder if it might have to do with the fact, that the quality tourist simply had it with Thailand?

Most people I know spend 5 - 8 weeks holidays (they are 50+ upto 65) and hence would need a visa for Thailand. Seeing these queues everywhere, limitations on processing per day, no statements in UKP, NOK or CHF are accepted - combined with the usually arrogant high-nosed attitude of those "diplomats" - forms written in difficult-to-understand English, medical certificate requests confirming no elephantiasis etc. 

If you compare this procedure how to gracefully allow aliens to enter the land with the way the Thais are cheating, lying and bending each and every possible rule and corner ..... go figure 

So most people you know don't apply for a visa from back home, but enter visa exempt, and go after 30 days to a neighbouring country to get a tourist visa. And they have to fill out a medical questionnaire for that as well.

Sorry,  makes no sense at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Totte86 said:

I dont remember this place being like this. This used to be easy and relaxed.

The attitude of the senior official at a consulate is very influential in determining the rules and behavior you can expect. Unfortunately, the senior official in Penang changed a year or two ago, and it has gone downhill ever since. I suspect the Penang senior official might be one of the staff that previously created so much misery for applicants in Kuala Lumpur (which, in contrast with Penang, recently actually seems to have improved).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

So most people you know don't apply for a visa from back home, but enter visa exempt, and go after 30 days to a neighbouring country to get a tourist visa. And they have to fill out a medical questionnaire for that as well.

Sorry,  makes no sense at all.

No, Sir, it makes sense as the practice applies to all aliens who need a visa - and if you want to stay longer than 30 days then you face the visa treatment. I did not specifically address Penang or any other diplomatic mission. 

I just wonder why Thailand makes it so tedious (and ridiculing itself with the elephantiasis question) when their tourism business is suffering from growing competition, extremely high Forex rates and weak origin markets. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2018 at 4:55 AM, sanemax said:

And the 1 year ban is rather harsh

Is that unprecedented ?

Getting blacklisted without overstaying (and maybe without even entering Thailand at all )

If you submit demonstrably fake documents to the UK government when you apply for any sort of visa/leave to remain then the standard punishment is a 10 year ban before you can apply again.

1 year is quite light.

On 5/9/2018 at 1:33 PM, grkt said:

So Thai style.

No clear list of financial statements required and accepted.

You do realize the above list was for a TOURIST visa don't you?

• Haha 2

On 5/10/2018 at 6:49 AM, pr9spk said:

The general vibe is that foreigners are not wanted here at all, unless they are on a 2-week trip with a return ticket. They are going to put-off long term travellers, ex-pats and investors, surely? How can this be good for Thailand?

I can only guess, those engaged in these purges believe the country is better without "Western Influences".  There are many theories which could explain this, from corruption schemes (agent-facilitated extensions and the Elite scheme), to Chinese hegemony in the region - and you can bet they are spreading money around.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:49 AM, pr9spk said:

If the people married to a Thai move back to their home country this can only be financially detrimental to the country.

Admittedly the Philippines has some issues, but look at their visa system and immigration. Much easier.

Yes - "no fixers" (agents) is a huge improvement over Thailand.  Also, the PI culture is such, that they would do almost anything to prevent breaking up a family.  Some Thais seem to share this sentiment, which could explain why the Savannakhet consulate issues Non-O-ME visas without requiring financial-proof.  Others would seem to wish "Farang Husbands/Dads" to leave Thailand - especially if not rich.

Also, the PI near-universally appreciate Western culture, where as Thailand seems to be leaning to China, seeing the West allowing it's businesses relocate there (by taking down tariffs).  Economics being upstream of military power, this sends a strong signal that the West may not have Thailand's back against their increasingly-aggressive neighbor, any more.

On 10/05/2018 at 4:15 AM, griedarw said:

I was there 2 days ago (see my earlier post). I got a 1 year multi entry, no issues, no long queues. 

All straightforward standard stuff. Just supplied the paperwork as requested on their website. Total time, including queuing inside, ~10 mins. 

Went back next afternoon to pick it up (no queue). Job done.

Would use Penang again in a heartbeat. 

Many thanks - great to hear updated experience.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2018 at 4:15 AM, griedarw said:

I was there 2 days ago (see my earlier post). I got a 1 year multi entry, no issues, no long queues. 

All straightforward standard stuff. Just supplied the paperwork as requested on their website. Total time, including queuing inside, ~10 mins. 

Went back next afternoon to pick it up (no queue). Job done.

Would use Penang again in a heartbeat. 

Used Penang many times for multi O, at one point 4 or 5 in a row. Never had a problem.

At one point I/she, wife/we had forgotten my bank book and copies. The guy accepted all the rest and told me 'don't forget it next year' same guy I had seen there for a good few years and we recognised each other obviously. When I picked up the passport next day I got the visa and reminder again.

• Thanks 1

On 2018-05-10 at 6:29 AM, my friend I said:

I guess consulates may close.

KUALA LUMPUR: Chief secretary to the government Ali Hamsa on Thursday (May 10) announced that Thursday and Friday will be declared additional public holidays for the whole of Malaysia in conjunction with the 14th general election.

Sunday will be the additional public holiday for states observing Friday and Saturday as the weekend holidays, he said.

Consulates and Embassies typically chose their own holiday schedule - usually by the head of mission.  They may choose local holidays to close or their home country or a mix from both.  The number of holidays staff have is usually driven by the civil service in their home country.

On 2018-05-10 at 6:49 AM, pr9spk said:

What is going on? What are they going to come up with next?

These increasingly common stories of people being refused at Suvarnabhumi, now a Consulate behaving like this (and surely the others will follow).

Stricter and stricter, more and more reasons to refuse you entry to the Kingdom.

The general vibe is that foreigners are not wanted here at all, unless they are on a 2-week trip with a return ticket. They are going to put-off long term travellers, ex-pats and investors, surely? How can this be good for Thailand? If the people married to a Thai move back to their home country this can only be financially detrimental to the country.

When they first announced the crackdown years ago (now), most people on one side said it was about time they cleaned things up.  While this is true, I also warned that it may be the beginning of a wider agenda.  The people in power right now are influenced by a click within Thai society (whether it is more than just influence is anyone's guess) -- and not by the general population.  At the elite end of Thai society there is undoubtedly a definite dislike of foreigners and the perceived influence that too many of us bring to Thailand - and in the end this non-Thai influence is the cause of most of the friction within society as locals who should know better about their place in society start to believe in our western democratized propaganda.  Undoubtedly a mass change all at once in restricting foreign visits and retirees - would have a sudden and adverse effect on the economy... but by progressively becoming more restrictive this adversity can be amortized over a long period of time and allow for a rebalancing of the local economy to offset this more restrictive policy and of society in general.  Once our western values are kept at bay then Thailand can go back to the nice place it was before the foreign influence brought strife into this country as people demanded more.

11 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

When they first announced the crackdown years ago (now), most people on one side said it was about time they cleaned things up.  While this is true, I also warned that it may be the beginning of a wider agenda.  The people in power right now are influenced by a click within Thai society (whether it is more than just influence is anyone's guess) -- and not by the general population.  At the elite end of Thai society there is undoubtedly a definite dislike of foreigners and the perceived influence that too many of us bring to Thailand - and in the end this non-Thai influence is the cause of most of the friction within society as locals who should know better about their place in society start to believe in our western democratized propaganda.  Undoubtedly a mass change all at once in restricting foreign visits and retirees - would have a sudden and adverse effect on the economy... but by progressively becoming more restrictive this adversity can be amortized over a long period of time and allow for a rebalancing of the local economy to offset this more restrictive policy and of society in general.  Once our western values are kept at bay then Thailand can go back to the nice place it was before the foreign influence brought strife into this country as people demanded more.

To follow the above idea then all foreign tv would have to be shut down. All internet access shut down. All english schools shut down and only Asian tourists allowed to enter Thailand etc etc.

All of the above not remotely possible so I can't agree with you.

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

To follow the above idea then all foreign tv would have to be shut down. All internet access shut down. All english schools shut down and only Asian tourists allowed to enter Thailand etc etc.

All of the above not remotely possible so I can't agree with you.

Early on they tried shutting off facebook - but that was too fast and too obvious so they had to pretend it was a glitch -- which happened on all international connections at the same time.  They do have a project underway to "centralize" all inbound and outbound internet, and on things like "facebook" competitor should they try again to shut it off.  The number of "English Teachers" is such a small figure - it would not be worth it to pick on education... but long stay foreigners who marry locals up in the North-East, or perpetual tourists, etc. ... they would be earlier targets (would not be surprised if they even had a 20 year plan - like they do for "corruption").

Edited by bkkcanuck8

21 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

No, Sir, it makes sense as the practice applies to all aliens who need a visa - and if you want to stay longer than 30 days then you face the visa treatment. I did not specifically address Penang or any other diplomatic mission. 

I just wonder why Thailand makes it so tedious (and ridiculing itself with the elephantiasis question) when their tourism business is suffering from growing competition, extremely high Forex rates and weak origin markets. 

Your reply doesn't fit your original post "Most people I know spend 5 - 8 weeks holidays (they are 50+ upto 65) and hence would need a visa for Thailand. Seeing these queues everywhere, limitations on processing per day, no statements in UKP, NOK or CHF are accepted - combined with the usually arrogant high-nosed attitude of those "diplomats" - forms written in difficult-to-understand English, medical certificate requests confirming no elephantiasis etc.  "

Know in advance you're going to stay longer? Get visa from embassy/consulate back home.

Don't know you're going to stay longer? Get extension at immigration for 30 days on visa exempt entry.

• Like 2

I have not written about the reduction to 100 applications per day before. But it was only a reduction from 150 per day they were trying out after they moved to a new building last month. It seems 150 was still to many.

F8DC0678-762E-4C89-B90E-C9E93A032F82-45842-0000178F469C3AD8.jpeg

Most of the posts on this thread are the usual over reaction, Thailand doesn't want tourists, blah blah blah

The simple fact is that you will get a Tourist Visa at Penang if you have the correct documents, nowhere does it say you will be refused if you have the correct documents, as long as you are in the first 100 people in the line you are fine

A new chief has taken charge and it is clear he/she is intent in doing as little work as possible and that is the reason for these changes

It was the same over reaction when Savwanakhet started to ask for the same documents but it turns out if you have what they want they will issue you as many TV's as you want, something they didn't do before the changes

Edited by darrendsd

On 5/9/2018 at 1:04 PM, csabo said:

Brokers/agents will get first crack and do well over 100 per day I am sure so you can forget walking in yourself basically. 

Actually Per day is 200 people. All the agents will share 100 peoples. The rest have to walk in. And if you go to agent, the agents have to sent you to Thai consulate office too to apply visa. Starting from 14th May.....

On 5/11/2018 at 4:52 PM, stevenl said:

Your reply doesn't fit your original post "Most people I know spend 5 - 8 weeks holidays (they are 50+ upto 65) and hence would need a visa for Thailand. Seeing these queues everywhere, limitations on processing per day, no statements in UKP, NOK or CHF are accepted - combined with the usually arrogant high-nosed attitude of those "diplomats" - forms written in difficult-to-understand English, medical certificate requests confirming no elephantiasis etc.  "

Know in advance you're going to stay longer? Get visa from embassy/consulate back home.

Don't know you're going to stay longer? Get extension at immigration for 30 days on visa exempt entry.

It would help if you would read my postings prior to lecturing again.

What I wrote was - quote
"I did not specifically address Penang or any other diplomatic mission. I just wonder why Thailand makes it so tedious (and ridiculing itself with the elephantiasis question) when their tourism business is suffering from growing competition, extremely high Forex rates and weak origin markets. "
unquote

The procedure is mostly the same, irrespective of mission's location. 

22 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

It would help if you would read my postings prior to lecturing again.

What I wrote was - quote
"I did not specifically address Penang or any other diplomatic mission. I just wonder why Thailand makes it so tedious (and ridiculing itself with the elephantiasis question) when their tourism business is suffering from growing competition, extremely high Forex rates and weak origin markets. "
unquote

The procedure is mostly the same, irrespective of mission's location. 

I read your postings, and your comments about tourists obtaining visa don't make sense to me. Which is the end of this discussion for me, it is off topic and there is really no point in this.

Edited by stevenl
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2018 at 1:06 PM, PoorSucker said:

No more multiple non-B unless you own 20 % of the company. 

Huh? Wow. What do employees do then? Not sure my boss is going to give me 20% of the company lol.

5 minutes ago, Metapod said:

Huh? Wow. What do employees do then? Not sure my boss is going to give me 20% of the company lol.

They get a single entry Non-Immigrant 'B' visa and then a one year extension in Thailand - provided they and the employer meets the requirements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I was asked for Thai bank statements today at the Kota Bahru consulate when applying for a new Non-O visa, have never been asked that before here or in Penang.

For a couple of years, or longer Penang has been asking to show 400,000 for a multi entry 0.

Not 100% sure but maybe 200,000 for a 90 day 0.

27 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For a couple of years, or longer Penang has been asking to show 400,000 for a multi entry 0.

Not 100% sure but maybe 200,000 for a 90 day 0.

I applied for a 90 day Non-O visa and have done it before many times in both Penang and in KB and never been asked about bank statements before, just copy of birth certificate for my kid, and copies of kids tabien Baan & ID and copy of my passport, I still got the visa but never been asked this before, maybe new policies for all Malaysian Thai consulates?