Pattaya police get tough on licences: Fines for tourists AND rental companies AND confiscation of vehicle

snoop1130

Pattaya police get tough on licences: Fines for tourists AND rental companies AND confiscation of vehicle

c7730e22-55ff-4358-be0b-3324c085a3c1.jpg

Pattaya police have said that from now on if tourists are driving rental vehicles without licences they will be fined up to 1000 baht.

But in a decisive new move the vehicle will also be confiscated.

The rental company must then go and pick it up and pay a fine of up to 2,000 baht.

Pol Maj Arut Saphanon said there were no ifs and buts in the future - it starts now.

In a video he said that the reason for the change is that many tourists don't know the highway code and have not had any training leading to accidents.

In addition there is a lot of crime committed in Pattaya by foreigners who invariably use rented vehicles in the commission of that crime. They flee the scene of crime in rented vehicles noted Pattaya Update News on Facebook. 

Tourists must now have an international licence, their passport and home country driving licence when renting a vehicle in Pattaya. They must carry their documents with them to show to the police if stopped. 

No licence and the vehicle will be taken away on the spot. 

People on temporary stay in the kingdom can take their home country licence and a certified copy of that from their embassy or consulate in Thailand to the Department of Land Transport to get a Thai licence, said the report. 

This seemed to represent no change to existing regulations. 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/STVPattaya/posts/1888748811146044 & https://www.facebook.com/pattayaupdatenews/videos/807780239413313/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-5-9

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some nice new opportunities here !!....for 500 THB the impounded vehicle can get recovered, but with no receipt !! :whistling:

As for the stupid farangs renting and driving without licences, the law should plainly call them to be jailed for a week and the law should be largely visible at the rental agencies. It will immediately dissuade the stupid and the issue will be solved. No big deal ?

This will obviously dissuade the renegade bikers with no permits to drive and with only a licence  to Kill or get killed !!

This is disgusting.... 'if Tourists' - 1000baht fines & Confiscation of the Bike... 

So what about Thai's riding without a license? This is nothing more than the police creating an easy target, a money maker... Its clumsy, its xenophobic, it stinks... 

IF the announcement was that if anyone is caught driving without a licence they would face a 1000baht (or more would be better) and confiscation of the bike....  it would be much better... but as it is, unbalanced penalty stinks... 

Yes , get them bad Falangs,  driving with out a license, Thai's never do this one. :coffee1:

But it's all about money, as we know. shame they don't go after all, the people who 

brake the rules on the roads, and not do this xenophobic stuff.

Also I do believe that one police officer left his shoes

at the press conference.

Clown shoes.jpg

I think its a good idea to fine the hire company to they make sure the tourist has a license , ive seen tourists hire bikes and not even get 100 yards up the road before they smash them selfs up, then the hire companies are rubbing there hands and ripping them off with the cost of bike repairs, how many times have we seen tourists with no insurance on these fund me pages asking for money for medical bill's because they decided they didn't need the £20 - £30 extra charge on there package holiday....?..... 

2 minutes ago, Darren palmer said:

I think its a good idea to fine the hire company to they make sure the tourist has a license , ive seen tourists hire bikes and not even get 100 yards up the road before they smash them selfs up, then the hire companies are rubbing there hands and ripping them off with the cost of bike repairs, how many times have we seen tourists with no insurance on these fund me pages asking for money for medical bill's because they decided they didn't need the £20 - £30 extra charge on there package holiday....?..... 

Not nearly as many times as I see Thai guys to dangerously idiotic stuff on their motorcycles....   the only outstanding question is whether they are licensed or not.

Of course, being licensed won't stop these guys from doing dangerous and idiotic stuff on their motorcycles, but the heavy fines might.

Stringent and consistent enforcement of the regulations with impacting and consistent penalties for all who use Thailands roads is the primary solution to many of Thailands traffic woes.

In targeting foreigners the intelligent and common sense approach to road safety has been kneecapped by greed.

Good news, maybe we will see less go-fund me pages,if yr too lazy to get bike license you don't deserve the right to hire a bike,I'm sure the farangs in their home country, if don't have applicable license you can't hire the vehicle you want. 

2 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Good news, maybe we will see less go-fund me pages,if yr too lazy to get bike license you don't deserve the right to hire a bike,I'm sure the farangs in their home country, if don't have applicable license you can't hire the vehicle you want. 

You know best.

I welcome this. If you don't have the right license, you can't rent a bike. That stops the tea money for the cops. It will also stop lots of foreigners uninsured through no license, having to crowd fund their hospital bill. And they are correct. Most visitors here do not have a clue how the locals drive, or how dangerous it is. Now just need to enforce it and then move on to the kiddies running around with absolutely no license, and in most cases a helmet either.

OK a good move, but then tough measures too for Thai's who have no licence or insurance 1000B fine and vehicles impounded... 

In the UK cars that are not insured are impounded, driving without a valid licence would invalidate any insurance so they get impounded too.

Many states in the US do not require a separate Motorcycle license so a normal passenger vehicle license is sufficient to operate a motorcycle. 

Now let's talk about the Thai piloted scooters that are carrying 3 to 5 people. During my last visit to Pattaya I watched the BIB pull over many tourists to check paperwork/License while ignoring Thai's who were not wearing a helmet or who were driving WRECKLESS.

7 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Interesting, I imagine the majority of tourists renting bikes have no valid motorbike license.

This will hit the hire companies hard, IF enforced.

Quite true. In the UK at least, very few have motorbikes included on  licences due to the simple fact that the vast majority of people there don't ride them. What they do have is a driving licence that required a hell of a lot more training, expense and competence than the equivalent here. 

8 hours ago, Darren palmer said:

they decided they didn't need the £20 - £30 extra charge on there package holiday....?.....

They usually do not cover renting a bike and driving wothout license anyway.

However, the new rules sounds just fine to me.

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the reason for the change is that many tourists don't know the highway code and have not had any training leading to accidents.

In addition there is a lot of crime committed in Pattaya by foreigners who invariably use rented vehicles in the commission of that crime. They flee the scene of crime in rented vehicles noted Pattaya Update News on Facebook. 

Tourists must now have an international licence, their passport and home country driving licence when renting a vehicle in Pattaya.

typical thai solution logic, how does having a home country drivers license affect knowing thailand's highway code (whatever that really is) , or training on driving (pretty loosely defined here) in thailand or propensity to commit crime ?

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the reason for the change is that many tourists don't know the highway code and have not had any training leading to accidents.

In other countries, the emphasis is on training leading to avoiding accidents...

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Some nice new opportunities here !!....for 500 THB the impounded vehicle can get recovered, but with no receipt !! :whistling:

As for the stupid farangs renting and driving without licences, the law should plainly call them to be jailed for a week and the law should be largely visible at the rental agencies. It will immediately dissuade the stupid and the issue will be solved. No big deal ?

This will obviously dissuade the renegade bikers with no permits to drive and with only a licence  to Kill or get killed !!

Yes but no opportunity for BIB backhanders!

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is disgusting.... 'if Tourists' - 1000baht fines & Confiscation of the Bike... 

So what about Thai's riding without a license? This is nothing more than the police creating an easy target, a money maker... Its clumsy, its xenophobic, it stinks... 

IF the announcement was that if anyone is caught driving without a licence they would face a 1000baht (or more would be better) and confiscation of the bike....  it would be much better... but as it is, unbalanced penalty stinks... 

I share your ire over this blatant discriminatory application of law enforcement.

It is like the selective way the  policing is done, setting up at times and places where tourists are caught in preference. Ride into town from Sukhumvit in the morning and rules are never enforced!

Not much can be done. Even the impact on rental companies is to their benefit, they pay the fine and keep  the rest of the deposit!

Last time I looked there was no driver training instruction for any of the students in the schools.  I would suggest the Thai government start that immediately.  And how about removing the rental bikes that take up every motorbike parking spots on beach road?  

5 hours ago, MunkyBoogar said:

Many states in the US do not require a separate Motorcycle license so a normal passenger vehicle license is sufficient to operate a motorcycle. 

Interesting, didn't realize this. Does the original State licence clearly indicate that the licence permits operation of a motorcycle in that State? What happens when one rides into other States? And more applicably, does a US  IDP clearly define if a motorcycle is included or does it 'refer back' to the State licence? 

(The reality is that the police are going to dig for some infringement to justify their fines!)

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Fantastic idea to many idiots with absolutely no experience on bikes, no licence or insurance.  The fines should be much higher tho for the operators who rent to just anyone without a thought.

Not sure we should pass on the responsibility  for checking and policing licence validity to renters. They should simply get the renter to sign a declaration that he has the valid 'permits' to ride the motorcycle in Thailand. IDPs are not written in Thai, nor are foreign licences.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

many tourists don't know the highway code and have not had any training leading to accidents.

But Thai drivers and riders are exempt because they are quality drivers and riders :cheesy:

Cannot make this stuff up !!

Archived