Pattaya police get tough on licences: Fines for tourists AND rental companies AND confiscation of vehicle

snoop1130

On 12/13/2018 at 7:45 PM, n210mp said:

Just been involved in an accident where a Thai man with a 4 year old child sat in front of him on his old and bashed up motorcycle ( No helmets, no licence and no insurance ) ran into the side of my car from a minor side street , result fined 500 Baht and sent on his way

and no wonder they dont bother with licence and insurance.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only in Pattaya, maybe Phuket. Other than that business as usual.

Tourists have been an easy payday for the local police in those areas for years. 

Just ramping it up a notch.

I have hand over 10 motorcycles in the U.S., and before I got too old to ride safely, I loved the sport. Also many fond memory's of riding the roads here in Thailand years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This is disgusting.... 'if Tourists' - 1000baht fines & Confiscation of the Bike... 

So what about Thai's riding without a license? This is nothing more than the police creating an easy target, a money maker... Its clumsy, its xenophobic, it stinks... 

IF the announcement was that if anyone is caught driving without a licence they would face a 1000baht (or more would be better) and confiscation of the bike....  it would be much better... but as it is, unbalanced penalty stinks... 

To be fair, they are stopping and fining Thai's without a license - my wife got fined twice so I made her go take her test and get a license! 800 baht a time.

Archived