Pattaya police get tough on licences: Fines for tourists AND rental companies AND confiscation of vehicle

snoop1130

11 hours ago, MunkyBoogar said:

But are they also going to fine Thai citizens 1000B for driving without a license? That would be a Negatory Ghostrider!

I thought that was a regular occurrence. Usually just before lunch and dinner times. Large numbers of clip board wielding BiB jumping out from behind trees and ambushing motor cycle riders. Who are then fined for not having their documents, with them, not wearing a helmet or whatever. 

But of course they don't stop mummy riding with three kids and not one helmet. That would be inconvenient.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Does ANY Thai know the highway code ? :coffee1: I don't think so.

Thai's  are not stupid they know the highway code and they are skilled drivers. The problem is they also know there is no police enforcement of the highway code and fellow Thai's seldom get upset when they do selfish or dangerous maneuvers.

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Some nice new opportunities here !!....for 500 THB the impounded vehicle can get recovered, but with no receipt !! :whistling:

As for the stupid farangs renting and driving without licences, the law should plainly call them to be jailed for a week and the law should be largely visible at the rental agencies. It will immediately dissuade the stupid and the issue will be solved. No big deal ?

This will obviously dissuade the renegade bikers with no permits to drive and with only a licence  to Kill or get killed !!

Yes I agree, also Thais as well students from the ages of 9 riding motorbikes no license, no helmet, no training

If you going to implement laws everybody abides by them,but here nobody gives a sh..

3 minutes ago, Sakeopete said:

Thai's  are not stupid they know the highway code and they are skilled drivers.

You are funny... Majority of Thais probably don't even know there is a highway code and as for being skilled drivers !! Most accidents seem to be from a lack of any comprehensive driving skills, coupled with a complete lack of spatial awareness.. Obviously a disregard for the law, which is never enforced, just adds to the carnage..

But you did make me chuckle, so thank you :whistling:

I cant see that anything is any different, tourists have always been fined for not having a license, and they usually take the bike keys until you pay the fine. The only difference here is passing a fine onto the rental shop. How will that work if the Thai GF rented the bike and the tourist then rides it.

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Interesting, didn't realize this. Does the original State licence clearly indicate that the licence permits operation of a motorcycle in that State? What happens when one rides into other States? And more applicably, does a US  IDP clearly define if a motorcycle is included or does it 'refer back' to the State licence? 

(The reality is that the police are going to dig for some infringement to justify their fines!)

All states require that you pass tests to be permitted to operate a motorcycle.  Most state's DL will indicate that you are permitted to drive a passenger vehicle and a motorcycle on one license. Usually indicated by and "M". The DL is good for all states. Trying to convince Thai authorities that my DL is also a motorcycle license is a different matter. 

It is a step in the right direction though 1000bht fine is peanuts to most tourists..

The new law will probably save tourist lives and insure the bikes insurance will be valid.

What the BiB should do is print out police posters for every rental shop to stick on the shop window stating "No License No Bike"...

Forget about what Thai folk get away with, this law is for tourist protection...

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is disgusting.... 'if Tourists' - 1000baht fines & Confiscation of the Bike... 

So what about Thai's riding without a license? This is nothing more than the police creating an easy target, a money maker... Its clumsy, its xenophobic, it stinks... 

IF the announcement was that if anyone is caught driving without a licence they would face a 1000baht (or more would be better) and confiscation of the bike....  it would be much better... but as it is, unbalanced penalty stinks... 

You no undastaan.

In a video he said that the reason for the change is that many tourists don't know the highway code and have not had any training leading to accidents.

In addition there is a lot of crime committed in Pattaya by foreigners who invariably use rented vehicles in the commission of that crime. They flee the scene of crime in rented vehicles noted Pattaya Update News on Facebook. 

The OP is a bit misleading.

Apparently, to get a Thai driving licence all you have to do now it take your home country licence and a copy to the land transport office and they will issue a Thai one ?

I don't think so. Some mistake there.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is disgusting.... 'if Tourists' - 1000baht fines & Confiscation of the Bike... 

So what about Thai's riding without a license? This is nothing more than the police creating an easy target, a money maker... Its clumsy, its xenophobic, it stinks... 

Why would you assume that you have the exact same rights and obligations as the citizens of another country?  The same situation applies in the rest of the world.

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

As for the stupid farangs renting and driving without licences, the law should plainly call them to be jailed for a week and the law should be largely visible at the rental agencies. It will immediately dissuade the stupid and the issue will be solved. No big deal ?

This will obviously dissuade the renegade bikers with no permits to drive and with only a licence  to Kill or get killed !!

A week jailed is the best to do, but not only for foreigners please. But BIB think that smoking on the beach is a bigger crime.

Why only Pattaya . should be nationwide . seems all the laws are only happening in  Phuket and pattaya . KS has no laws on the roads only helmets 16 years here never been asked for my licence  

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

Apparently, to get a Thai driving licence all you have to do now it take your home country licence and a copy to the land transport office and they will issue a Thai one ?

That's how I got mine, with some other paperwork...:stoner:

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

needs a international driving permit from your own country 

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

In theory thats true but most DLTs  require home license, medical cert and resident certificate

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Does ANY Thai know the highway code ? :coffee1: I don't think so.

The only highway code one must know in Thailand are the one with

pictures of monarchs and numbers prerebly with no less than 2 zeros

on them...

1 minute ago, transam said:

That's how I got mine, with some other paperwork...:stoner:

I thought that as a tourist you cannot get a Thai driving licence. And if it is for farangs (incl. retirees etc.) only then it is a bit more than just similar to double pricing. And if it is then why not stating that there is a different law for farangs and locals here pertaining to the same issue actually. Maybe more precise information will be available soon.

The Automobile Association (UK) and the Royal Automobile Club (R.A.C.) who issue IDP's both state you need an IDP to drive in LOS..So if me I would insure I had one just in case...

On the rear of a UK license it is very easy for any country to see what you are allowed to drive. On the rear of it there are a list of all vehicle pictures, next to each pic shows what the owner is licensed to drive and the date when driving a particular vehicle expires..For instance, I can drive HGV, car and M/cycle...

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I thought that as a tourist you cannot get a Thai driving licence. And if it is for farangs (incl. retirees etc.) only then it is a bit more than just similar to double pricing. And if it is then why not stating that there is a different law for farangs and locals here pertaining to the same issue actually. Maybe more precise information will be available soon.

Can get a provisional..But a UK license is good for 90 days..

12 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Some nice new opportunities here !!....for 500 THB the impounded vehicle can get recovered, but with no receipt !! :whistling:

The bike rental companies would probably remove the signs as it would down on their business.

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

In theory thats true but most DLTs  require home license, medical cert and resident certificate

Not to mention doing the ' tests ' ,

Colour blind

Braking

Peripheral vision

Perspective

The OP has made it sound like a mere in out formality....somewhat misleading.

Some unlucky souls have to suffer the safety video too.

Archived