Extent of Hanging Wire problem revealed as NBTC power bank handout backfires

webfact

Extent of Hanging Wire problem revealed as NBTC power bank handout backfires

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A hotline for people to tell the authorities about places where hanging wires were dangerous was being unanswered yesterday.

It seemed that so many people were on the line that it was impossible to get through!

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission had set up a campaign to encourage people to phone in complaints of where the wires were too low or impeding traffic.

They advertised that 4,500 free power banks would be given to the first callers with information. Pictures then needed to be sent to a Line ID account: @nbtc1200.

The handouts were to be spread over Thailand - 1,000 each in the North, South, Central and North east regions and 500 in Bangkok.

But Daily News reporters who tried the 1200 hotline were met with a standard recorded message that "no staff are available to take the call, please wait".

They waited and waited and waited....well you get the message.

They gave up waiting.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-10

Well the process needs more but it's possibly a good idea to reward folks who report such things.

In my old country in some provinces all public utilities have a large sticker with an ID number.

Folks who call in / report that the equipment etc., at ID # xxx is faulty etc., automatically receive 10 lottery tickets after an appropriate officer has been to the location to check and fix / order prompt repairs, within 24 hours. The lottery  tickets arrive quickly.

At least that was the system some years back, I'm guessing it's still in place, it works.

-----

Power Banks... good quality or cheap rubbish brands?

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well the process needs more but it's possibly a good idea to reward folks who report such things.

In my old country in some provinces all public utilities have a large sticker with an ID number.

Folks who call in / report that the equipment etc., at ID # xxx is faulty etc., automatically receive 10 lottery tickets after an appropriate officer has been to the location to check and fix / order prompt repairs, within 24 hours. The lottery  tickets arrive quickly.

At least that was the system some years back, I'm guessing it's still in place, it works.

-----

Good or rubbish brands?

Make a wild guess. ????

I remember how Bill Gates named and shamed Thailand for its disgraceful and dangerous hanging wires in 2016. The Thai authorities blew a lot of hot air and said it would all be cleaned up - but of course two years later - nothing substantive has happened.

This is Thailand, don't you know?

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

It seemed that so many people were on the line that it was impossible to get through!

On the line or off the line.....it is always difficult to get through.....in general!

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

-----

I bet that a number of cable ,telephone and electrical  companies would be getting off their asses and removing the non needed lines if somebody with a large pair of insulated wire cutters started cutting them on a late night,5555

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

I remember how Bill Gates named and shamed Thailand for its disgraceful and dangerous hanging wires in 2016. The Thai authorities blew a lot of hot air and said it would all be cleaned up - but of course two years later - nothing substantive has happened.

This is Thailand, don't you know?

Nothing will change until a family member of a socially, politically or financially high ranking citizen gets electrocuted and fried due to a dangling wire........then the purge will be done overnight.....maybe?!

Hotlines are very popular in Thailand. They love them.There are almost 100 of them.

A few of the lesser known ones:

1. Monks behaving badly hotline.

2. Building about to collapse hotline.

3. Thai Niyom (give us some money) hotline.

4. RTP depressed police officers hotline. 

5. Whistleblowers hotline. (Users should demonstrate great caution before they try this one)

6. Unwanted intruding animals hotline.

7. Taxi refusing a trip hotline. 

8. The Highway Patrol hotline. 

18 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Nothing will change until a family member of a socially, politically or financially high ranking citizen gets electrocuted and fried due to a dangling wire........then the purge will be done overnight.....maybe?!

You gave away my cunning assassination plot.....

23 hours ago, webfact said:

A hotline for people to tell the authorities about places where hanging wires were dangerous was being unanswered yesterday.

Of course it was, someone cut the phone line with a high-sided truck.

They have buried the wires along the more exclusive parts of Sukhumvit road, I saw it happening, it was quite an ordeal. I can’t imagine how this big of a task could be accomplished in just a few years or months. One has to stay realistic 

1 minute ago, attrayant said:

It looks like most of these wires are analog dial tone lines.  I say migrate the public to VoIP and rip out all the dial tone.  Who uses residential dial tone these days anyway?  

We still use an analogue line, unfortunately.

My wife needs it for a work fax machine, as she still comes across quite a few small businesses and individuals who need to send documents, but can't cope with email or scanning documents in order to attach them to an email.

15 minutes ago, zzidenn said:

They have buried the wires along the more exclusive parts of Sukhumvit road, I saw it happening, it was quite an ordeal. I can’t imagine how this big of a task could be accomplished in just a few years or months. One has to stay realistic 

I wonder if there was any forward planning involved in this?

As you saw it happening, were the cables buried in the ground without any ductwork, or was there something like the attached pic to locate the cables inside, allowing for replacement of cables without having to dig the footpath up each time?

image.png.4e36a581b15d92ef9eb3807110188aab.png

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

We still use an analogue line, unfortunately.

My wife needs it for a work fax machine, as she still comes across quite a few small businesses and individuals who need to send documents, but can't cope with email or scanning documents in order to attach them to an email.

I have AIS fiber and a telephone & fax connected to the router. No need for anything but the optical fiber cable coming into the house. It's far more reliable than copper cable internet was, too.

Archived