Ban Chang

GBW

Hello, I have a friend visiting from Australia at the end of the month, he has visited Ban Chang in the past (2015/16), but has heard reports that it has changed considerably over the past couple of years.  Many bars and restaurants closed, or under curfew? I have told him that the weather is rainy this time of year up there.  To make sure he has his motor bike license.  Be a good boy  :biggrin:.         etc.etc. 

I am from Hat Yai and have not been there, so any advice from locals would be much appreciated, so as I can pass it on.

Kindest Regards

GBW

It has changed a lot during the last 14 years, the period I have been a regular visitor of the bar scene, in that the quality and quantity of the girls has gone downhill, but most of that occurred before 2015/16.

The only change since then has been that, after a crackdown by the cops, most bars won't allow ST upstairs anymore-some still do ,I assume because they pay the boys in khaki a little more.For a year there was not much carnal activities at all in most bars, but recently the barstool or 'dark corner sofa' BJ has made a comeback in a few establishments.

No curfew in place, many new restaurants and bars open away from the small strip especially beach side of Sukhumvit, many places selling San mig light for 65 baht, Guinness 180 baht a pint, Ciders 135 Baht a can,  yes Ban Chang has developed over the last few years......in a positive direction!

Brand new very modern toilets at the beach.

It is raining right now, but not prone to flooding like Pattaya!

BC is big enough to have all amenities but small enough not to have traffic problems. There are plenty of small bars, cafes, and coffee shops. Its a go-ahead place economically. Near Pattaya, Rayong, and the beaches to the east of Rayong. There is a direct mini-van to Mo Chit. The hinterland is very pleasant. The biggest problem is local transport. Without a car its difficult to get around. Very limited motorcycle and taxi services. The local ladies seem to welcome falang and are not as jaded as in bkk. A few more snooker tables would not go astray. The sea water is dirty - get a place with a swimming pool. It takes awhile to connect with the place  - not a place for very short visit.

3 hours ago, stancatts said:

BC is big enough to have all amenities but small enough not to have traffic problems. There are plenty of small bars, cafes, and coffee shops. Its a go-ahead place economically. Near Pattaya, Rayong, and the beaches to the east of Rayong. There is a direct mini-van to Mo Chit. The hinterland is very pleasant. The biggest problem is local transport. Without a car its difficult to get around. Very limited motorcycle and taxi services. The local ladies seem to welcome falang and are not as jaded as in bkk. A few more snooker tables would not go astray. The sea water is dirty - get a place with a swimming pool. It takes awhile to connect with the place  - not a place for very short visit.

There is loads of taxis and motorcycle taxis, go up to Tesco and get the number of a few of them, very handy, but i guess for the casual visitor this would not be well known, they are a friendly bunch, ring them to go and get bus tickets, deliver food, go to the bank for change, deliver more food!!!

I have a home in Pattaya and keep an apartment in BC (only 4000 B a month)........... I love BC.......... It is what Pattaya was 30 years ago..........

No Go-Go's but sooooooo many lovable 'playthings'................. So much better when you become a 'regular' at most of the bars.............

I would say that there is probably 15 bars in the main bar area and don't miss 'Happy Bar 2' which is on the next soi alone........... I know a lovely lass there named 'Fern' .......... The next soi just a couple hundred feet West of the main Bars........ They presently are not very busy so you have a 'first choice' of any of the delicacies....

edited to add that hotel rooms are available from about 400 B (Ban Chang Grand hotel) per night......... Camel Bar has rooms for 600B including breakfast..........

12 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

I have a home in Pattaya and keep an apartment in BC (only 4000 B a month)........... I love BC.......... It is what Pattaya was 30 years ago..........

No Go-Go's but sooooooo many lovable 'playthings'................. So much better when you become a 'regular' at most of the bars.............

I would say that there is probably 15 bars in the main bar area and don't miss 'Happy Bar 2' which is on the next soi alone........... I know a lovely lass there named 'Fern' .......... The next soi just a couple hundred feet West of the main Bars........ They presently are not very busy so you have a 'first choice' of any of the delicacies....

edited to add that hotel rooms are available from about 400 B (Ban Chang Grand hotel) per night......... Camel Bar has rooms for 600B including breakfast..........

Easy to find a cheap apartment there ? I might be interested to hang out with you when going there, as I cannot stand anything around Pattaya or BKK anymore...

Hello all,

my friend has arrived in Ban Chang. He is settling in to the groove of things (so to speak).  I have passed on all of your relevant information, advice etc.

Thank you for your input.

Kindest Regards

GBW

I also love BC as after couple of days in Pattaya I want to move ahead/away from the scene as I am always traveling alone and get bored of the street grab chats...

There are plenty of bars on BC strip, with room upstairs (still), and many new developments around but mostly very quiet during weekdays.

When you talk about "southern of sukhumvit, road can you please share some more details like place names and Soi numbers?

I mostly only stay at the Cangsofa or Camel pub so would like to know more about the "southern outskirts"...

On 5/12/2018 at 1:50 AM, grkt said:

Easy to find a cheap apartment there ? I might be interested to hang out with you when going there, as I cannot stand anything around Pattaya or BKK anymore...

I just sent you a Personal Message..........

Archived