Comparison with taxi runs in NYC and Bangkok

observer90210

For those familiar with both metros, how would you compare a taxi drive in NYC and Bangkok ?

Could it be possible that in NYC, it is easier to get a taxi, (no meter hassles obviously) and the rates seem similar or less then Bangkok ?

Edited by observer90210

700 baht from Suvarnhabumi to Don Muang - reasonable except the driver took about 3 hours because he was dodging the tollways. Fortunately I had allowed 4 hours to get there. Lesson learned, I take the free shuttle bus every time now, about 90 minutes.

NYC? Where do I begin? Touts trying to wrestle my luggage from me. First experience a cab driver who relieved me of all my cash - 190 USD - to take me out to Farmingdale. Return journey to NYC with a driver who drove at 90 mph. His suspension was so badly worn the cab threatened to fishtail every time he hit one of the road dividers. When I pleaded with him to slow down, his response was he had just got out of a mental institution and he was sick of people telling him what to do. Stayed at a Sheraton near Central Park , 300 USD a night, dirty frayed curtains and bed linen had not been changed. Every cab I got into in NYC was filthy.

IMHO NYC ranks up there with Bahrain as a shithole I have visited. That was some time ago; however, permit me to doubt it has changed much.

• Thanks 1

NYC Taxi similar or less than BKK?!? What year did the Delorean drop you in...1955??? :biggrin: 

While both cities are usually easy to hail a cab...The Big Mango is way cheaper than The Big Apple.  

Perhaps that I was under the wrong impression that within city limits, for moving around within NYC in the downtown areas, one would experience less arguments with the drivers on turning on the meter and that an average ride was around 7 to 10 bucks ????...(ok I admit my last visit to NYC was in...wheew!....somewhere in the 80ies:tongue:

Do you  think NYC cabs are cheaper? 50 USA dollars to the airport. Bkk is 200 to 400 baht. I always uber in NYC now. Would drive but parking in NYC more than the hotel. 

BKK taxis are cheaper and better. Only problems seem to be at the Nana and Soi Cowboy areas where they will not use the meter. Because they want 200 baht. You can’t go anywhere in NYC for 200 baht. 

Edited by Wake Up

On 5/11/2018 at 3:49 AM, chris2224 said:

NYC is far worse and more expensive.

NYC has approx 14,000 yellow cabs, BKK (2012) had 106,000 registered taxis, currently I think BKK generally has newer vehicles. I would say both are similar in terms of not knowing the destination, unlike London where the 'black-cab' drivers have to pass extensive training called the Knowledge.

JFK to Manhattan is $52 + tolls + tip

Suvarnabhumi to central BKK is approx 350thb

5km NYC is approx $12

5km BKK is approx 70thb

Agree with you except I am in London and the only people that take black cabs are business suits on an expense account. No normal people take London black cabs. I went from Heathrow to the Hilton near Tower of London and a business friend paid the bill - 178 USA dollars one way. I usually take the tube or bus. 

I always take uber now in NYC one of the greatest cities on the earth. Easy and Black sedans cheaper and better service than taxis IMO. 

What people dont realize in their constant complaints about BKK taxis and the quote taxi mafia of Pattaya etc is that no where in the civilized world can you get a taxi as cheap and plentiful as Thailand. The NYC cab tip is higher than the taxi mafia fares in Thailand.  And if you don’t tip in NYC you will be cussed out. We have it great in Thailand but people want to focus on the negative and get all upset over 30 baht or one USA dollar. 

Edited by Wake Up

Fully agree with all the posts here regarding the taxi fare from the airport to downtown either in NYC or BKK,

What seems to give a terrible "first image" is that almost every taxi in BKK will argue and try not to use the meter with the tourist on arrival.

This give a disastrous image all along and gets relayed on social media. Despite the new ticket system in BKK Swampy, there a still the cabbies arguing and trying to cheat the farang arriving for his holiday.

If the price in NYC is obviously higher, no cabbie will argue on turning on the meter in the airport on arrival.

17 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Fully agree with all the posts here regarding the taxi fare from the airport to downtown either in NYC or BKK,

What seems to give a terrible "first image" is that almost every taxi in BKK will argue and try not to use the meter with the tourist on arrival.

This give a disastrous image all along and gets relayed on social media. Despite the new ticket system in BKK Swampy, there a still the cabbies arguing and trying to cheat the farang arriving for his holiday.

If the price in NYC is obviously higher, no cabbie will argue on turning on the meter in the airport on arrival.

In New york the cabbie knows the meter rate will possibly take all the cash the passenger has.

first stop  ATM..