Greenpeace’s Rainbow Warrior to anchor in Songkhla

webfact

Greenpeace’s Rainbow Warrior to anchor in Songkhla

rw.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 11th May 2018 (NNT) - The Rainbow Warrior ship, owned by international environmental organization Greenpeace, will sail to the Gulf of Thailand and anchor near Samila Beach in Songkhla province from May 16th to 20th, 2018. Many activities will be arranged to accentuate the mission of the ship's first visit to Thailand. 

The journey is part of the "Rainbow Warrior Ship Tour 2018: 100% Renewable Energy for All" project. The objective is to amplify the voice of the Thai people calling for an end to the age of coal and demanding solutions through an inclusive and sustainable economic development model based on just, affordable, and sustainable renewable energy systems. 

On Samila Beach, there will be an exhibition on the impact of climate change, Greenpeace and the environmentalist movement, and the history of the Rainbow Warrior. Other activities will include games and a showcase of 1,000-watt solar energy kits. 

The ship will be open for public tours from May 17th to 20th. Each round will last 30 minutes, and is limited to 60 visitors. Shuttle boats will be provided for transportation, with each ride taking around 15 to 20 minutes from the beach to the ship. Admission will be free, but registrations are required. For more information, please visit greenpeace.or.th.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-05-11

The French may well be interested to hear of this. Particularly the Direction Generale de la Securite Exterieure  who was declared responsible for blowing up the last Rainbow Warrior in Auckland Harbour 1985. It was in transit to protest the French nuclear tests on Muraroa atoll.

Is Thailand planning any nuclear tests I now wonder? What could possibly go wrong with that? 

A good cause but Piracy endangering life on the high seas has been a Death Penalty crime since ancient times. Whenever there dupes hassle me on the street with clipboards I give them the same as BKK “questionaire “ scammers. Pffft!!

I don’t need any more whale sashimi but who are they to demand the Japanese change their culture? (There are plenty of Minke whales by the way, and as there are “influential people” involved in the mineral extraction game here there stay is sure to be brief)

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

This boat should be a marine reef. It should be sunk and the crew forced to swim for

shore. Hypocrites all in the Green group.

Geezer

Agree

But it,s the ones on land that stop million/billion dollar projects, & then having maybe their families cry due to lack of employment

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A good cause but Piracy endangering life on the high seas has been a Death Penalty crime since ancient times. Whenever there dupes hassle me on the street with clipboards I give them the same as BKK “questionaire “ scammers. Pffft!!

I don’t need any more whale sashimi but who are they to demand the Japanese change their culture? (There are plenty of Minke whales by the way, and as there are “influential people” involved in the mineral extraction game here there stay is sure to be brief)

Mostly they’re putting thier own  lives in danger.

Japanese whaling exists to support a culture of government bureaucracy, and is not a part of Japanese culture. 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10371390903298078?src=recsys&journalCode=cjst20

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The objective is to amplify the voice of the Thai people calling for an end to the age of coal

Might as well call for overthrow of the Prayut government that is planning for an increase in use of coal for electrical generation. I'm surprised the junta allowed Greenpeace to enter Thai waters.

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Might as well call for overthrow of the Prayut government that is planning for an increase in use of coal for electrical generation. I'm surprised the junta allowed Greenpeace to enter Thai waters.

& looks like they'll get some cheap coal - especially from Auss

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

An organisation that always are breaking domestic and international laws with violence in the name of environment protection. They should not be allowed to enter.

And what about all those other organisations breaking all rules. Like Japan killing whales or big companies dumping toxic waste in oceans. They are the only ones trying to make a difference, as governments dont. You have any idea who many kill the oceans by wasting plastics in it?! There should be more greenpeaces ! You dont even know what they do and greenpeace is even bombed by governments !!

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

An organisation that always are breaking domestic and international laws with violence in the name of environment protection. They should not be allowed to enter.

Yes, lets protect the whalers from these criminals.  Right on!

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

This boat should be a marine reef. It should be sunk and the crew forced to swim for

shore. Hypocrites all in the Green group.

Geezer

They are hypocrites because they are on a boat?  Did you notice the sails or was your frothing mouth obscuring your view?

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Agree

But it,s the ones on land that stop million/billion dollar projects, & then having maybe their families cry due to lack of employment

Are you not concerned as to whether your family and descendents will live in an unpolluted, species-diverse world, or are you confident that big business will maintain the vigilance that is needed to ensure such a future.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

And what about all those other organisations breaking all rules. Like Japan killing whales or big companies dumping toxic waste in oceans. They are the only ones trying to make a difference, as governments dont. You have any idea who many kill the oceans by wasting plastics in it?! There should be more greenpeaces ! You dont even know what they do and greenpeace is even bombed by governments !!

I know exactly what they do. Why would you even think about commenting on that?
What they stand for is great and what they want would be fantastic for our earth. Though, there is the way that they are doing it.

They put themselfs in illegal situation by breaking the law and using violence. That is one of the reasons that they get bombed by governments. Not saying that is right, either of course.

The thing is that you can compare this to a person that gets millions in donations because he wants to help people in powerty and people that do not have food enough for eat.
Here he chose to occupie the farmers land in an illegal way because he do not give food to the poor and just sell it to the rich.

What the person that got the donations should have been doing, would have been to starting farms that can give food to the poor, and in that kind of way stabalize and create something we can call a sustainable form of life cycle.

It´s same with Greenpeace. Here they chose to occupie and force people to stop with what they are doing, instead of using the donated money for educating the new generation and take cases to court on international levels, to create knowledge about that the polluters ain´t untouchable.

Fight illegal actions with illegal methods can´t be something that we let go on just because we can´t see the right way to work.

20 hours ago, RobFord said:

Mostly they’re putting thier own  lives in danger.

Japanese whaling exists to support a culture of government bureaucracy, and is not a part of Japanese culture. 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10371390903298078?src=recsys&journalCode=cjst20

I can't get past the abstracts but it looks like a balanced slate of articles for further reading

Japanese have been fishing near shore for marine mammals long before mechanized industrial fishing. Saying it is not part of Japanese culture is absurd. When I was in school getting my mind stuffed with rubbish by left-wing idealougues we were always told it was Generalissimo MacArthur himself who demanded Japan to develop the ocean going whaling fleet to help feed the nation with cheap protein. As always everything "Americas Fault"

Native people in North America also shoot cute seals and mooses with rifles also. Of course how horrible is it they feed their families? Should traditional whaling be banned and give them more welfare and canned food and rice bags? It is well known Inuit who ate only meat, fish and blubber never got heart disease  by the way.

Native people in North America also shoot cute seals and mooses with rifles also. Of course how horrible is it they feed their families?

It is well known Inuit who ate only meat, fish and blubber never got heart disease  by the way.

Neither hunted a species to extinction.

Should traditional whaling be banned

What's traditionally about it other than a cheap source of bulk protein as is any seafood? What cultural ceremonies are found in Japanese history related to whale hunting? Unlike other cultures that identify a spiritual relationship to hunted species, the Japanese do not seem to have any such cultural identification like Inuits to the hunt and consumption of whale meat.

Whale meat was only that popular across the island nation during a short period following World War II. (you know during a time of famine in a thoroughly destroyed nation)

Japan has justified the need to hunt whales for scientific research. There are only about three species it hunts - you don't need to kill hundreds every year without end for such research. (unless of course this "research" is just a profit-making enterprise)

https://www.motherjones.com/food/2015/12/japan-stirs-whale-controversy-its-tiny-appetite-big-fish/

I had once (Minke whale sashimi). It was bloody and tasteless. Cheapest thing on the menu. Also horse mane fat sashimi (totally disgusting) Japanese hosts pushed it on me. They eat every gross thing in the world then look down on dog-eating Koreans.

I tend to anthropomorphize cute things like rabbits and marine mammals and  and wish they were not hunted at all but I don't want foreigners telling me to not eat something because it offends them either.

All Japanese fishing boats are blessed by Shinto priests.  Perhaps the reason Japanese don't have ceremonies related particularly to whale hunting (as you say I don't know) is because it is just seen another resource of the ocean. I have been told the Japanese character for whale is related to a character for fish and old people there think whales are big fish. Seems like alot of people these days like vegans/ ultra-liberals want to force their values on others with no logic behind it. I don't see why Japanese can't take whales or the Nordics either as long as stocks are responsibly managed like any other fishery.

Greenpeace, they are using the tactics of piracy/terrorism on the high seas. I have been to the US a couple times a year recently and they (among others) use aggressive youths to get money from people. (I don't accept any "street hassles"). Walk away they hurl insults. I hope the Thai cops bust them for working without a WP.

Most of these fund raising organizations are just scams to benefit certain liberal elites who demand strict environmental orthodoxy while they fly around in biz jets/ first class attending conferences and taking high salaries. The classic 'You must do as I say not as I do".

6 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I had once (Minke whale sashimi). It was bloody and tasteless. Cheapest thing on the menu. Also horse mane fat sashimi (totally disgusting) Japanese hosts pushed it on me. They eat every gross thing in the world then look down on dog-eating Koreans.

I tend to anthropomorphize cute things like rabbits and marine mammals and  and wish they were not hunted at all but I don't want foreigners telling me to not eat something because it offends them either.

All Japanese fishing boats are blessed by Shinto priests.  Perhaps the reason Japanese don't have ceremonies related particularly to whale hunting (as you say I don't know) is because it is just seen another resource of the ocean. I have been told the Japanese character for whale is related to a character for fish and old people there think whales are big fish. Seems like alot of people these days like vegans/ ultra-liberals want to force their values on others with no logic behind it. I don't see why Japanese can't take whales or the Nordics either as long as stocks are responsibly managed like any other fishery.

Greenpeace, they are using the tactics of piracy/terrorism on the high seas. I have been to the US a couple times a year recently and they (among others) use aggressive youths to get money from people. (I don't accept any "street hassles"). Walk away they hurl insults. I hope the Thai cops bust them for working without a WP.

Most of these fund raising organizations are just scams to benefit certain liberal elites who demand strict environmental orthodoxy while they fly around in biz jets/ first class attending conferences and taking high salaries. The classic 'You must do as I say not as I do".

As a meat eater, I agree there is a certain amount of hypocrisy in the whole debate, but I think a lot of it comes down to the percieved sentience of the creature. Cows, sheep, chicken - they don't display high levels of intelligence, so the notion of them suffering mental anguish in their final moments is limited. Whales, on the other hand, have been identified as being highly intelligent species, and their social habits means that the taking of one animal has an impact of the rest of the group. Add to that the much more barbaric methods needed to kill a whale and it makes us appear to be even less humane than normal .

The cash raising tactics of street collectors is not restricted to Greenpeace or to animal welfare charities. You are correct that it has become an industry, but the youths abusing you are not concerned about the whales, but about the commission they expect to make from signing you up.

Archived