Friend of grieving Swiss father: Mother was on Ya Ba and grandfather got a new motorcycle from donations

webfact

Friend of grieving Swiss father: Mother was on Ya Ba and grandfather got a new motorcycle from donations

gsf.jpg

FILE photo//The Nation

The best friend of the Swiss father whose son died after a balcony fall in Bangkok has claimed that donations intended to help the surviving children from the tragedy have ended up being spent on the mother and grandparents.

Thaivisa was told that money handed over by Thais at the temple where Alex Borel, 5, was cremated on Wednesday went on new hairstyles and fancy clothes.

The grandfather even has a new 250cc motorcycle, it was claimed.

But the children will allegedly receive nothing amid claims of parental drug use, malnutrition and abandonment.

The four children of Marcel Borel fell from a platform attached to the fourth floor room of some flats in Ramkhamhaeng Soi 34 early last week.

The tragedy happened at night when the mother was out at work and the grandparents were in another room on the first floor after putting them to bed for the night. Three children aged 11,10 and 7 are still in hospital in a serious condition.

Alex was cremated in a Bangkapi temple midweek.

Thaivisa was contacted by a person who asked not to be named who said they were the best friend of Marcel Borel.

Apart from the claims about the inappropriate use of public donations after the case was in the Thai national spotlight, comes further allegations about the case.

Our informant said that Mr Borel was previously granted visitation rights by the court but the mother refused to honor this and moved house making it difficult for the father to see them.

A police report was made about the denial of access and the father was in the process of trying to gain 100% custody as a result. This custody battle stalled when Mr Borel's mother died in Spain.

The Swiss Embassy have been contacted but were largely powerless to intervene over the custody matter.

Claims were made that the mother did prison time for Ya Ba (amphetamines), the grandfather is an alcoholic and the grandmother is into gambling. None of these claims can be substantiated.

The friend further suggested in contact with Thaivisa:

"While the father was in tears at the funeral the children's mother and grandparents were receiving gifts.

"They are only interested in money".

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-11

Just now, webfact said:

Claims were made that the mother did prison time for Ya Ba (amphetamines), the grandfather is an alcoholic and the grandmother is into gambling. None of these claims can be substantiated.

But yet they feel free to publish them for everyone to see.

I feel a defamation suit getting prepared.

I don't have anything too say about the story, but I am deeply offended every time I see that photo used for this story.

As someone who has had to deal with the death of a child, I find it completely reprehensible to keep dragging out this image for clicks, disgusting.

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

As sick as this makes us all feel, wouldn't it be better to substantiate such claims before throwing mud, as it sticks regardless.

9 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Sounds like a typical thai family ... dont get children in Thailand

I have children to a wonderful Thai mother, her family remains at arms length, e.g. our kids, our responsibility, and we have planned what will take place in the event that our relationship ever went sour, for the future of our children.

Ongoing communication and respect are key in any relationship, no room for ego's, drugs, theft and extended family.....one circle, our family in it only !

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Tragic already, no need to add drama - as long as non of these allegations are substantiated.

30 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have children to a wonderful Thai mother, her family remains at arms length, e.g. our kids, our responsibility, and we have planned what will take place in the event that our relationship ever went sour, for the future of our children.

Ongoing communication and respect are key in any relationship, no room for ego's, drugs, theft and extended family.....one circle, our family in it only !

Well said! The extended family are nearly always a problem here. I have nothing to do with mine, not interested!! My kids are my main concern not some abandoned kids in a village somewhere. That is a Thai problem. It may sound harsh but I keep my priorities in check.

Keep your circle, both family and friends neat and tidy!!

5 minutes ago, Rimkok said:

Well said! The extended family are nearly always a problem here. I have nothing to do with mine, not interested!! My kids are my main concern not some abandoned kids in a village somewhere. That is a Thai problem. It may sound harsh but I keep my priorities in check.

Keep your circle, both family and friends neat and tidy!!

Nothing harsh about that.

I don't stop my Mrs from visiting her parents up the road with or without the kids, and I might see them once in a while either when dropping something off to the sisters place or theirs, smile and leave, we have no issues, they know you can only rip off a farang once, fortunately for me it was peanuts, but enough to show their true colours, sand my Mrs knows, her future is set in concrete, but also knows concrete can be broken up if required.

I am very fair and bend with the wind, but also know when to stand my ground, our family 1st and Mrs stands by me 110% because she knows how easy life is and has been for her for the past decade and is happy to be away from her previously demanding parents.

Its ok to say NO !

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Nothing harsh about that.

I don't stop my Mrs from visiting her parents up the road with or without the kids, and I might see them once in a while either when dropping something off to the sisters place or theirs, smile and leave, we have no issues, they know you can only rip off a farang once, fortunately for me it was peanuts, but enough to show their true colours, sand my Mrs knows, her future is set in concrete, but also knows concrete can be broken up if required.

I am very fair and bend with the wind, but also know when to stand my ground, our family 1st and Mrs stands by me 110% because she knows how easy life is and has been for her for the past decade and is happy to be away from her previously demanding parents.

Its ok to say NO !

My Thai MIL lived with us in a small house we built for nearly 5 years before she died a couple of years ago. Lovely old lady she was (though 2 years younger than me).

My wife used to go to BKK yo visit her Dad and brothers taking our son and I would often go too. Her parents were not demanding.

We helped them out sometimes as they helped us out also.

I take no notice of generalisations as that is all they are.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

My Thai MIL lived with us in a small house we built for nearly 5 years before she died a couple of years ago. Lovely old lady she was (though 2 years younger than me).

My wife used to go to BKK yo visit her Dad and brothers taking our son and I would often go too. Her parents were not demanding.

I suppose everyone has a story, and I wouldn't hesitate in bringing my wife's parents across to our place if they got older as our place is big enough and self contained at the rear, i.e. separate granny flat.

I would do this as I know they wouldn't be a burden and my wife would do the same for my mum in a heart beat.

he fact that they ripped me off years ago, only a small amount, I have forgiven and gotten over it, but the nature is in the beast, i.e. have seen the sisters bring in some farangs for the slaughter and the parents were only to willing to contribute to the farangs being ripped, as recent as one wedding to a cousin a few weeks back, everyone was asking, jumping over the other, appalling really.

The generalisation, well I suppose that comes down to personal experiences, and I know a lot of farangs that I drink with a the usual waterholes that can tell you their stories, you can call it generalisation, I would call it experience, baiting the trap early can save you in the long run, remembering the famous rule of only invest as much as your prepared to lose, generally 10% and always have an exit plan if things go pair shape, in summing up, that is for any relationship in any country.

15 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I suppose everyone has a story, and I wouldn't hesitate in bringing my wife's parents across to our place if they got older as our place is big enough and self contained at the rear, i.e. separate granny flat.

I would do this as I know they wouldn't be a burden and my wife would do the same for my mum in a heart beat.

he fact that they ripped me off years ago, only a small amount, I have forgiven and gotten over it, but the nature is in the beast, i.e. have seen the sisters bring in some farangs for the slaughter and the parents were only to willing to contribute to the farangs being ripped, as recent as one wedding to a cousin a few weeks back, everyone was asking, jumping over the other, appalling really.

The generalisation, well I suppose that comes down to personal experiences, and I know a lot of farangs that I drink with a the usual waterholes that can tell you their stories, you can call it generalisation, I would call it experience, baiting the trap early can save you in the long run, remembering the famous rule of only invest as much as your prepared to lose, generally 10% and always have an exit plan if things go pair shape, in summing up, that is for any relationship in any country.

The generalisation remark was not aimed at you but people like Wallender4

22 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The generalisation remark was not aimed at you but people like Wallender4

Why?

If you walk into a room filled with people smoking and an ashtray in the centre and 9  out of 10 people ash on the floor then it is safe to say that most smokers ash on the floor.

A very sad family story is rapidly turning into a social network soap opera. Let the drunkard bum have his motorcycle, with a bit of luck karma will intervene.

Is it standard practice to give money at funerals, like weddings ? I have never been to one.

Alcohol drugs gambling - sounds pretty normal for lower class Thai families...

is that a generalization? Or do you want national specifics like thailand the 5th highest country in the world of alcohol consumption by volume or 1 out of 3 Thai males who drink meet the definition of an alcoholic....

Regarding this with drugs and thinking in this topic...
I helped a former student (she was one of the brightest students I have ever taught) to get a good job as a teacher assistant with a 20,000 Baht salary + payed overtime (which is a really good deal for a Thai that only finished high school!) and they even offered that they would pay for her to study part time and get a degree. I knew that her family situation was quite bad as I knew already since she was my student that her father is in prison for drugs and her mother is an addict. Still, it took less than 6 months after she started earning money before she were doing drugs with her friends... today she is kicked out from that school, without a job and reported as not suitable to work with children as she tested positive for drugs!
WHY is it so hard for people to THINK???

1 hour ago, Megasin1 said:

Is it standard practice to give money at funerals, like weddings ? I have never been to one.

In Thailand its standard practice to give money for everything: weddings, funerals, killing someones kid, birthdays, stealing and getting caught, going to a temple, anniversaries, etc.

Almost everything can be solved/celebrated with a pile of cash.

Tragic story with the accident that never should have happened. Yes, money is and will be an issue in Thailand - like it is almost everywhere. I am prett bored of besserwisser's and haters around, please take a breath and think twice before judging. And if you don't like Thailand, what the h... are you doing there? Pack your bags and get your ass back home if Thais and Thailand is so bad!

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Alcohol drugs gambling - sounds pretty normal for lower class Thai families...

is that a generalization? Or do you want national specifics like thailand the 5th highest country in the world of alcohol consumption by volume or 1 out of 3 Thai males who drink meet the definition of an alcoholic....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

The WHO publishes periodically The Global Status Report on Alcohol it is published: on Wikipedia

Thailand is number 76 for alcohol consumption, far behind  Australia n.19 Ireland n 25 USA n. 48!

5 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

"The best friend says" all speculation making the headlines for selling more news papers and sponcers time on the TV

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

The Thai family of my GF isn't demanding either. I had to give 100.000 Baht as a "village wedding" gift, but apart from that I never pay them any money. I do give my GF money each month (20.000 - 25.000 Baht) to take care for buying food and other stuff (for her, me and our daughter) and I believe from the money I give her, she gives 3000 - 3500 Baht a month to her mother. Her older sister does the same. Since Thailand doesn't have a decent pension system, that seems quite alright.

I never give money directly to my GF's relatives or friends, unless they provide us with some service (e.g. drive us to some hospital or clinic). The majority of the Thai in the village seem very nice and decent people and not out to get money from me.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

As sick as this makes us all feel, wouldn't it be better to substantiate such claims before throwing mud, as it sticks regardless.

Yes, you are absolutely right.

However, I have an idea the claims might be, ehh, educated guesses at least, or maybe even more than guesses.

3 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Regarding this with drugs and thinking in this topic...
I helped a former student (she was one of the brightest students I have ever taught) to get a good job as a teacher assistant with a 20,000 Baht salary + payed overtime (which is a really good deal for a Thai that only finished high school!) and they even offered that they would pay for her to study part time and get a degree. I knew that her family situation was quite bad as I knew already since she was my student that her father is in prison for drugs and her mother is an addict. Still, it took less than 6 months after she started earning money before she were doing drugs with her friends... today she is kicked out from that school, without a job and reported as not suitable to work with children as she tested positive for drugs!
WHY is it so hard for people to THINK???

I knew that her family situation was quite bad as I knew already since she was my student that her father is in prison for drugs and her mother is an addict. Still, it took less than 6 months after she started earning money before she were doing drugs with her friends..

A quite amazing story, still hard to believe. No offense intended. 

Did all your students tell you the social circumstances they were in? 

5 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

A very sad family story is rapidly turning into a social network soap opera. Let the drunkard bum have his motorcycle, with a bit of luck karma will intervene.

Yes it is fairly much standard. I have been to 5 or 6 funerals including both of my inlaws. and you put as much as you wish or can afford and give it to one of the family.

Having said that it is what happens in rural Thailand as it helps the family out with their expenses.

Did it happen in this case? I have no idea and neither do most of the other posters on this thread.

I do know that it didn't happen at the ones that I went to.

If she was on jaba and could stop, I won't start and throw any stones at her. 

The guy's best friend says a lot of things he might not really know for sure. Or is he somehow involved with the family? 

Archived