Can I teach in Thailand?

Hi, first time poster; read through the stickies but could do with some more specific advice on my particular situation.

I'm currently in Thailand travelling with my girlfriend; I've saved around £3,000 myself and she has about twice that herself. We're planning to spend the next month or so travelling through a bit of SE Asia; currently a week in and arrived in Koh Tao and we're planning to cross into Malaysia and loop through Cambodia before ending at Chiang Mai.

It's my first time outside Europe and I'm loving it; I quit my job in the UK and so I'm hoping I could maybe set up in Chiang Mai as an EFL teacher. I graduated in English Language and Linguistics last year from a good UK university, and last summer I did a 120 hour in-classroom TEFL course in France. However, I wasn't able to complete the course due to personal issues and so never received my certificate (the operators of the course we're very unsympathetic but that's all water under the bridge) - all that said, I completed all the training aside from submitting a 1-to-1 project; did 6 observed teaching lessons and passed them all, and my degree trained me expertly on the technical aspects of the language.

All this considered, what is my likelihood of securing a job on the basis of my degree alone? I could confidently execute a demo lesson if a school required and am essentially fully trained, though I don't know if it'd be worth trying to explain my TEFL situation to a potential employer.

Thanks in advance! 

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes.  I would say there is every chance of securing a job in Thailand through an agency.   But the conditions and pay are lousy, and maybe wait until you are somewhere else.  Online teaching might suit.

but you will be working illegally without the appropriate visa and work permit. It's unlikely you'll be caught though.

12 hours ago, Loaded said:

but you will be working illegally without the appropriate visa and work permit. It's unlikely you'll be caught though.

Another big case recently would deem your comment inane. 166 Chinese arrested for online work. Sunsequently released when the authorities realised there was no law currently in place to cover such activity. 

As TGFAF mentioned, the TEFL cert. is largely irrelevant, your BA is all that really matters.  There are two main hiring seasons for teachers in Thailand: March - Early May & September - October, just before the first and second terms begin.

While most schools have already hired teachers for this school year, there are always a few new teachers who don't work out and leave because of personal/job/visa-related reasons, so it is still possible to find a school that is ready to hire new teachers.

Teaching in Thailand jobs basically fall into 3 or 4 categories:

1. Teachers who work directly for a school

- they will usually get the best pay and benefits.

2.  Teachers working at Language Centers

- Plus - most students are reasonably motivated

- Minus - irregular hours & it may be difficult to get a Work Permit & Visa

3. Teachers sent to schools by agencies

- all of the disadvantages of the above two categories and none of the benefits.

4. Online teaching

- maybe legal, maybe paid well, maybe right for you, maybe not.

To check out jobs currently available, google ajarn dot com.

22 hours ago, puchooay said:

Another big case recently would deem your comment inane. 166 Chinese arrested for online work. Sunsequently released when the authorities realised there was no law currently in place to cover such activity. 

I guess you mean this news story:

Huge raid nets 166 Chinese nationals using Ubon hotel as base for stock speculation

"...Fines totaling 265,000 baht or 1,600 baht per person are being paid before the stock traders will be repatriated back to China, reported Thai Rath."

5 hours ago, Loaded said:

I guess you mean this news story:

Huge raid nets 166 Chinese nationals using Ubon hotel as base for stock speculation

"...Fines totaling 265,000 baht or 1,600 baht per person are being paid before the stock traders will be repatriated back to China, reported Thai Rath."

They were later released without charge.

The fine refers to the hotel not reporting their guests' whereabouts.

But you know all this really!

Just now, mommysboy said:

They were later arrested without charge.

The fine refers to the hotel not reporting their guests' whereabouts.

But you know all this really!

You missed the 'and deported' part then?

51 minutes ago, Loaded said:

You missed the 'and deported' part then?

You have not read the full story as usual. They are not being deported. The authorities are going to ensure they leave when their permisdion to stay is over. As they try to do with everyone who comes to Thailand. 

17 hours ago, puchooay said:

You have not read the full story as usual. They are not being deported. The authorities are going to ensure they leave when their permisdion to stay is over. As they try to do with everyone who comes to Thailand. 

The article I quoted doesn't say that. What's your source? Desperation?

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

And I thought is was when you were pi$#ing against the wind trying to prove a point when you are wrong. Carry on. It's funny. 

You quoted from a Thai language gossip forum.

I quoted from a Thai national newspaper.

But anyway, here's another one from last year reporting on Chinese working on the internet and being charged with not having a work permit:

"The Bangkok Post says the men were arrested on several charges including overstaying their visas, working without a permit, using unregistered SIM cards, and, according to a later report also from the Bangkok Post, smuggling. Working without a permit in Thailand can result in a five-year prison sentence, or a fine ranging from 2,000-100,000 baht (about $58-$2,936 USD), or both."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/12/15786402/thai-clickfarm-bust-iphones

Can't quote from BP here but this report is just as good.

My pi$#ing against the wind seems to be going all over your face. :smile:

11 hours ago, Loaded said:

You quoted from a Thai language gossip forum.

I quoted from a Thai national newspaper.

But anyway, here's another one from last year reporting on Chinese working on the internet and being charged with not having a work permit:

"The Bangkok Post says the men were arrested on several charges including overstaying their visas, working without a permit, using unregistered SIM cards, and, according to a later report also from the Bangkok Post, smuggling. Working without a permit in Thailand can result in a five-year prison sentence, or a fine ranging from 2,000-100,000 baht (about $58-$2,936 USD), or both."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/12/15786402/thai-clickfarm-bust-iphones

Can't quote from BP here but this report is just as good.

My pi$#ing against the wind seems to be going all over your face. :smile:

Missed again.They were working in Thailand and getting paid in Thailand.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

The OP asked "Can I teach in Thailand?"

Perhaps a useful follow-up question is "Should I teach in Thailand?"

(Posted by Teacher Simon in Myanmar...)

I've been to China, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, and despite the better wages in most of these countries, I wouldn't want to live in any of them. If money was my priority, I wouldn't have become an EFL teacher. I'm happy here despite the farang <deleted> on forums, FB and in bars.

On 5/16/2018 at 11:06 AM, Loaded said:

You are not exempt from Thai laws just because you or a blogger say you are.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are quite right. The only problem with your comment is that there just is not a law to cover online work. So, yes, this is not exempt from any law but just not covered.

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

You are quite right. The only problem with your comment is that there just is not a law to cover online work. So, yes, this is not exempt from any law but just not covered.

Rubbish and what a boring 'argument'. Clowns who rape pixies is also not specified in Thai criminal law. According to you, this means they aren't breaking the law. Teaching online is breaking Immigration, Labor, Revenue, and Computer Crime laws.

58 minutes ago, Loaded said:

Rubbish and what a boring 'argument'. Clowns who rape pixies is also not specified in Thai criminal law. According to you, this means they aren't breaking the law. Teaching online is breaking Immigration, Labor, Revenue, and Computer Crime laws.

Not boring at all. Quite funny actually. You are trying to squirm out of this by posting nonsensical comments. At the sametime I am using whay I have read in published quotes from immigration officials to back up my comments. See...not boring at all. Funny. 

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

You keep posting the most ridiculous of scenarios and frequently muddle various aspects of the Thai law.  Why?

'squirm out of it' - you guys are hilarious. How many links to the laws do I need to post?

To summarize your arguments:

"Roll up Roll up, be a foreign teacher online in Thailand and you don't need to pay tax, declare your income, inform Immigration or the Labor offices and just lie to the Thai embassy when you obtain a visa. In fact, you can work legally with a tourist visa. Just make sure that you sign up via my link as I earn commission - all honest and above board guvnor because I say it is."

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

How many immigration officials, labour department officials do you need to see quotes from?

Direct quotes from official sources? just one.

Over to you.

PS

no blogs with 'quotes' from digital gonads thank you.

Archived