BANGKOK 21 July 2019 00:40
jackdd

Being a digital nomad / working online is legal in Thailand

I just stumbled over this news: 

Chinese people were working online on a tourist visa and police said they didn't do anything illegal.

So we can finally conclude that being a digital nomad / working online with a tourist visa (if income is generated in another country) is currently legal by Thai law and there is no reason to hide it.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, no it is too much of an assumption to declare it legal.  It could be construed illegal by strict definition of Thai law.  It may be deemed unlawful.  It could be perfectly legal.  Or Thai authorities may deem it as of no concern to Thai security- presumably because it is not.

Put it this way, if this lot couldn't get brought to book, then I doubt the humble digital-pikey has anything to worry about.

• Like 2

Chinese people were working online on a tourist visa and police said they didn't do anything illegal."

...police said...

Which branch of the police? Police who are tasked to be experts on this subject?

Low level local officer?  Officer authorized to make such statements?

Immigration and cops, lawmakers etc might be trying to close this loophole after this fiasco, but even then I doubt it’d affect the average online tefler etc working from their apartment.

• Like 2

Funny how some of the Thai Visa members seem to think that they are not only Thai lawyers focusing on immigration and labor law, but that they actually work for the Ministry of Labor. :laugh:

Time and time again the immigration and labor department make a raid, suspicious that there are aliens working illegally for a Thai company or company in Thailand. When they discover that there is no Thai business connection, that they are only working remotely for non-Thai companies, all left alone. Nothing illegal in that. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Chinese people were working online on a tourist visa and police said they didn't do anything illegal."

...police said...

Which branch of the police? Police who are tasked to be experts on this subject?

Low level local officer?  Officer authorized to make such statements?

You obviously understand Thai labor law better than the Ministry of Labor.... 

:laugh:

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

To be fair, the Ministry of Labour and the police were both present. They enforce the law and they very publicly said it's not illegal.

It's their decision that counts.

I'm really not being pedantic, and I want it to be legal as much as you and others. You can't infer legality- it could be for instance that it is disregarded for the time being.

In practice, your argument may as well be right imo.

Edited by mommysboy

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

To be fair, the Ministry of Labour and the police were both present. They enforce the law and they very publicly said it's not illegal.

It's their decision that counts.

Where, when was this, what was the overall situation.

Seems to me plenty of long-term folks are surprised by this, it seems to confront all that's been said for years about legal / illegal. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I was once told that if I made a phone call or sent an e-mail it could be interpreted as work. But I was in the tour business which the Thais are very keen to control. I think personal interpretation by the officer involved changes from office to office. Maybe stock trading is not seen as a threat.

Being as you were in the tour business, I imagine you worked from premises.  In this situation, this is very definitely defined as working in Thailand.  

I agree that these issues vary from region to region.  In fact their interpretation may even seem to ignore the strict letter of the law at times.

59 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Funny how some of the Thai Visa members seem to think that they are not only Thai lawyers focusing on immigration and labor law, but that they actually work for the Ministry of Labor. :laugh:

Time and time again the immigration and labor department make a raid, suspicious that there are aliens working illegally for a Thai company or company in Thailand. When they discover that there is no Thai business connection, that they are only working remotely for non-Thai companies, all left alone. Nothing illegal in that. 

Time and time again...... any examples??

And no i'm not claiming to be a lawyer about anything, but I have had Thai work permits for 30+ years, and along the way (like many others) i've gained some knowledge.

• Like 1