BANGKOK 16 July 2019 23:48

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tukkytuktuk

Does My Partner Understand Me?

I've been married for 15 years now. I met my wife on holiday here. When I met her she hardly spoke English at all. Now she can speak English really well. We chat and talk everyday, but does she really understand me or is she just being polite and pretending to understand me. Sometimes I really wonder if she understands me. This can be frustrating and cause a bit of friction because of the Thai face culture. I know a bit of Thai and can try to use that to explain but not in detail. 

I guess that's what you get marrying a foreigner. You'll never have great conversations and know everything they say. It just reminds me of a movie I watched when I was a kid, Jeremiah Johnson. Robert Redford marrys a native American Indian and she can't speak a word of English. It's like that sometimes, you know? Endulge me, tell me I'm not alone.

You are not alone, i guess.

But you could ask yourself if it's worth your efforts.

I decided, a few years ago, that it's not.

42 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

You are not alone, i guess.

But you could ask yourself if it's worth your efforts.

I decided, a few years ago, that it's not.

Do you mean, is it worth all the effort to try to understand my wife?

Of course, it helps a lot.

You decided not to try an understand your partner. Hmm, not for me. I'd be thinking too much.

7 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Do you mean, is it worth all the effort to try to understand my wife?

Of course, it helps a lot.

You decided not to try an understand your partner. Hmm, not for me. I'd be thinking too much.

Of course you try to understand your wife.

Still it's frustrating if you are the only one doing the effort.

I'm still trying my best to understand women and other complicate things, i just decided that, for my peace of mind, it's not worth to have a woman living with me :)

Does My Partner Understand Me?

She probably neither understands you, nor cares that she doesn't.

As long as the monthly salary is on time every month.

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Of course you try to understand your wife.

Still it's frustrating if you are the only one doing the effort.

I'm still trying my best to understand women and other complicate things, i just decided that, for my peace of mind, it's not worth to have a woman living with me :)

Better than having a man. I have just been browsing the internet and came across an article in the BP about an Irishman (Alister Breedee) and his partner got married today. Is this a sick joke? It's not in the Nation yet but when it does you'll see a huge response to this breaking news. It's just mad.

Screenshot_20180512-221511.jpg

15 years in and just came to this conclusion.

Oh dear.

1 minute ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Better than having a man. I have just been browsing the internet and came across an article in the BP about an Irishman (Alister Breedee) and his partner got married today. Is this a sick joke? It's not in the Nation yet but when it does you'll see a huge response to this breaking news. It's just mad.

Screenshot_20180512-221511.jpg

LOL .. i have to agree with you on that, i have lived with a few friends in my teens, total nightmare !

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

LOL .. i have to agree with you on that, i have lived with a few friends in my teens, total nightmare !

That's a 66 year old man marrying a young Thai man. Nightmare indeed!

I've seen it all now! The circus just got a new freak show. Jesus wept.

35 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Coming soon to Thailand.......

Although a bit theatrical, much safer than marrying a woman :sorry:

Not that I'm trying to be a caty or a cheeky troll....

...but with all the nice cuties hanging around in Thailand, why get involved in a fixed relationship -   that calls to be with just one female,  who will start to brainstorm your mind daily ?

Why not hang around, have 2 or 3 casual sex-friends , with no ties or legal knots ?

No matter what, remember to have fun and never forget, your interests and well being comes first.

You have obviously done enough in one-to-one relationships all your life and its maybe time to put away the Mr Nice Guy in you.....of course don't become a jerk....but don't fall at their feet and give in to all their whimes.....have fun and stay naturally in safeSex mode ! :sleep:

After 15 years, language-wise, a Farang/Thai couple will understand each other. As far as the "understanding" and the perception of things outside the daily routine is concerned, this is a different matter.

Seems to me, Thais are not overly interested in issues that do not affect them personally and directly.
Wanting to conduct a "meaningful" conversation, the Thai Wife is likely to stifle such a conversation by exclaiming: "You think too much and drink too much Beer Chang". Case closed!
Ideally, a Farang interested in meaningful conversation, should bring along a Farang "Mia Noi" (if possible a Feminist-Lady). Not feasable for most Farangs.

Best not to have high expectations as far as "meaningful conversation" is concerned. Best to stick to day to day matters and be happy and not think too much.

Still, even staunch Farang Isaan-Dwellers feel the urge to converse with fellow Farangs from time to time. Or Farangs contemplating to take residence in the Isaan, asking beforehand: How many Farangs live in area XXY and where do they meet?
Farangs need meaningful conversation occasionally. Things like: Does Donald Trump wear a wig? How will the Tottenham Hotspurs fare next season? How come that during the alleged Moon Landing, Neil Armstrong was seen at "Lulu's Bar and Grill" in Pattaya? Just meaningful conversation. You get my drift.....
Cheers. :partytime2:

2 hours ago, swissie said:

Best not to have high expectations as far as "meaningful conversation" is concerned. Best to stick to day to day matters and be happy and not think too much.

Trying to remember 'meaningful conversations' with my former English wife of 30 years.

From what I remember they were all about me giving her money.

Same as my current Thai wife really.