Does My Partner Understand Me?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I got a dog a few months back. At least she barks at me when she wants food.

thai ladies have very obvious ways of showing that they're hungry !   not just the spoken language that

one must learn when they live here   :smile:

1 she is a woman 

2 she is Thai

So, no she doesnt understand or relate to you in ways you are expecting. 

I am married. And before was single for 10 years with hundreds of gf over that time.

The one thing I find irritating is the Thai lack of curiosity about anything. Sorry to bash away here but it is true.

2 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

1 she is a woman 

2 she is Thai

So, no she doesnt understand or relate to you in ways you are expecting. 

I am married. And before was single for 10 years with hundreds of gf over that time.

The one thing I find irritating is the Thai lack of curiosity about anything. Sorry to bash away here but it is true.

You tell them about when you walked on the moon, and they do not really care to listen at all. I know how it feels. 

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

8th time ?? I wonder why they keep leafing him ??

You'd have thought he'd have twigged it by now!

But perhaps all bark and no bite is what this sap likes, anyway who knows how long he will stick it.

Falangs will never understand Thai thinking, just as Thais will never understand falang thinking.

I converse with my Thai GF in Thai. Mostly mundane things.

As long as we are both satisfying the needs of each other, understanding is not a necessary element of the relationship.

anyone who can be in a relationship with someone whom they dont have common language ability has my admiration. i hear these long term foreigner/thai couples all the time where the thai barely speaks english and the english they do speak is awful; i mean they cant even use the present continuous or plurals for goodness sake.

what puzzles me is that the foreigner not only seems happy to listen to this awful form of the english day in and day out but also starts to mimic their parnter's use of english, making them sound, with all due respect, complete idiots.

i guess love conquers all.

It’s all a trade. Thais basically have no concept of “ consequences”. And with their naive and parochial thinking culture, there are no discussions.  It’s about bla bla bla me me me....blame. Like menstruation blues, it passes if we don’t add fuel to the fire. 

Pros and Cons. It’s still a better deal than western relationships. ESP if one party is rich. Here we only loose on stupidity. No law to help make the grab.

17 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Do you mean, is it worth all the effort to try to understand my wife?

Of course, it helps a lot.

You decided not to try an understand your partner. Hmm, not for me. I'd be thinking too much.

15 years and you don't know? Not much communication going on.

Just now, Justfine said:

15 years and you don't know? Not much communication going on.

I don't think women can be understood.

And if we could understand them, we'd probably avoid them.

12 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Trying to remember 'meaningful conversations' with my former English wife of 30 years.

From what I remember they were all about me giving her money.

Same as my current Thai wife really.

What is a meaningful conversation?

23 minutes ago, Justfine said:
13 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Trying to remember 'meaningful conversations' with my former English wife of 30 years.

From what I remember they were all about me giving her money.

Same as my current Thai wife really.

What is a meaningful conversation?

one that ends with ...."yeah, i know what you mean "     :laugh:

17 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

That's a 66 year old man marrying a young Thai man. Nightmare indeed!

I've seen it all now! The circus just got a new freak show. Jesus wept.

Thankfully the 66 year old man and the young adult Thai man are free to make their own choices and spend their time and money as they choose. Called freedom of choice and it is priceless.

A freak show IMO is when people care or denigrate what other adults choose to do or try to impose their life view on other adults. Why do you care and do you even know these men? Some people would view and express that your life is a freak show and that would not be fair or correct also. 

I have read read a lot about Jesus and it appears the Jesus writings are overwhelmingly about love and empathy for others. Yet many people use Jesus showing a total lack of empathy or understanding of other people. Jesus and Buddha and others did not want their names to be used as a weapon but man simply cannot help trying to elevate himself over others with righteous indignation. Peace brother 

8 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Thankfully the 66 year old man and the young adult Thai man are free to make their own choices and spend their time and money as they choose. Called freedom of choice and it is priceless.

A freak show IMO is when people care or denigrate what other adults choose to do or try to impose their life view on other adults. Why do you care and do you even know these men? Some people would view and express that your life is a freak show and that would not be fair or correct also. 

I have read read a lot about Jesus and it appears the Jesus writings are overwhelmingly about love and empathy for others. Yet many people use Jesus showing a total lack of empathy or understanding of other people. Jesus and Buddha and others did not want their names to be used as a weapon but man simply cannot help trying to elevate himself over others with righteous indignation. Peace brother 

God help us !!!   haha   just kidding.    right on brother

OP seems to have lost interest in his thread on the first page. Instead he chooses to belittle other people's life choices. 

Yes, well said. He forgot that on this forum it's ok to bash Thai's but not ok to bash gays. Leave your homophobia at home.

I must say having read all the replies that everyone has given him some great advice and I also think he will be truely grateful.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

The one thing I find irritating is the Thai lack of curiosity about anything.

Well anything outside of themselves and their close family, because nothing else seems to matter in their lives and they are not really interested in finding out what's outside of their self-imposed perimeters.

My GF asked me why I was still very white and didn't go out in the sun, so I tried to explain to her that I had tried to get brown whilst working in the Sahara desert – – blank look.

Dropped the "Sahara" and tried to explain what a desert was, another blank look and so on.

I come from New Zealand and trying to explain exactly where that is by drawing a rough map of the world, is tantamount to trying to teach a goldfish how to ride a bike. And the amusing thing about this is that just about any Thai I have spoken to who asks where I come from and I say, "New Zealand" will nod knowingly. But asking location is a different story and if I say Finland (or any other "land") they will nod again.....

I appreciate that the level of education for many everyday Thai people can be very minimal, however none that I have ever known have bothered to find out about anything which falls outside of their everyday events/life. And that was quite an eye-opener for me because my ex-girlfriend was university educated and had a degree, but that did not stop the blank looks from appearing whenever I tried to explain something.

The best I could try to do, and something which seems to have worked here, is that I ask if they have seen the "Lord of the Rings" movies and tell them that this country is New Zealand (sorry, CGIs apart).

Also pointless trying to discuss anything else happening outside of Thailand...……...

Archived