Does My Partner Understand Me?

5 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

Agree with you there gotta admire the guys who hang out in the bars all day speaking pigeon English to bar girls and then talk to fellow expats the same way! Albeit with their limited Thai/English ( the expat!) vocabulary of “ up to you” and  “ dop salop salay”. I’m like ..mate I actually speak English..and can speak the language..and hey how many and I’m at risk of quote here...” non bar girls ever,ever say up to you or dop salop salay? Mmmm...just saying but. To the OP the culture divide is still great. Get out there and learn some real Thai. You’ll enjoy it and it might just stop you from being taken as a mug.

What?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Justfine said:

What?

Can you not read or understand the point or just saying what? Read Samsensam original post about expats degenerating and speaking pidgeon English... jeez do I have to explain every quote!

Ok let me make my post absolutely clear. I encounter expats with limited Thai language using Thai bar girl speech. I.e. up to you, dop salop etc, same same blah blah blah. Then when I have a conversation in English with them they will talk to me in pidgeon English as if I was a foreigner..... admittedly most of these guys are hanging in the bars all the day and completely w**k**ed. But hey .you want drink as opposed with you wanna beer mate? Then you know they are totally destined to fail here.... so did I make it clear? Anyone wanna make some sarcastic remark over things that we all hear? Sorry guys but I thought my posts although sometimes controversial are quite self explanatory.

3 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

Ok let me make my post absolutely clear. I encounter expats with limited Thai language using Thai bar girl speech. I.e. up to you, dop salop etc, same same blah blah blah. Then when I have a conversation in English with them they will talk to me in pidgeon English as if I was a foreigner..... admittedly most of these guys are hanging in the bars all the day and completely w**k**ed. But hey .you want drink as opposed with you wanna beer mate? Then you know they are totally destined to fail here.... so did I make it clear? Anyone wanna make some sarcastic remark over things that we all hear? Sorry guys but I thought my posts although sometimes controversial are quite self explanatory.

No thanks mate I will stick to my crossword and buy my own beer you absolute nutter.

13 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

No thanks mate I will stick to my crossword and buy my own beer you absolute nutter.

And the reason why I am a nutter is because of What? Know me personally do you or are you just another baiter? Well you could I suppose add master to your way of expressing yourself and it would sum you up. Please feel free to contact I’ve sent you a message without reverting to sneering comments

17 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

Well you mixed a Thai word in your previous post (farang #94) while writing for English speaking people, which IMHO makes you 'same same'.

On 5/16/2018 at 12:09 AM, Grauwulf said:

“ dop salop salay”.

dtop salop salie = 'slap', 'until pass out', 'really long time'

I heard it in a bar my first week in Thailand, along with 'farang', I agree both are impolite bar talk.

On 5/13/2018 at 9:52 PM, tukkytuktuk said:

I think someone also posted that I should learn Thai. I can speak Thai pretty well but not up to the level of describing every tiny detail. Some suggest I should get Thai lessons. I have been doing that but they mostly concentrate on reading and writing Thai.

You should probably learn her first language, which is unlikely to be Central Thai, unless she was born in Bangkok.

Only 30% of the Thai population speak central Thai as a first language.

I don't see much point in learning my wife's first language (a variation on Laos), as she doesn't speak it much these days.

Everyone around here speaks Chiang Mai Lanna (which is a different language to village Lanna).

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

dtop salop salie = 'slap', 'until pass out', 'really long time'

I heard it in a bar my first week in Thailand, along with 'farang', I agree both are impolite bar talk.

And that was my point. I used the word faring to emphasise it. I.e being talked to in pidgeon English by a fellow westerner.Trouble with written posts is that the meaning is very difficult to convey as opposed to an actual conversation. However at least you didn’t call me a nutter!

Strikes me as odd that someone would complain about having to explain their points on a discussion forum. But the oddest thing is when they private message you their explanations instead of sticking them in the forum. That's not normal.

10 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Strikes me as odd that someone would complain about having to explain their points on a discussion forum. But the oddest thing is when they private message you their explanations instead of sticking them in the forum. That's not normal.

Very mysterious indeed :coffee1:

Archived