ThaiSmile Airlines - no electronic devices allowed throughout whole flight

Nemises

Flew with ThaiSmile yesterday. Repeatedly told by cabin crew “no device allowed to turn on throughout flight”.

I ask if ok to turn on in Flight mode? Answer was a big NO.

What the ..... ?!?!!

In the past this airline has always allowed devices to be opened in flight mode.

Anyone else aware of their new (20 year old) rule?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

After the latest battery incident at a KLM flight with safety landing in Phuket (smoke from the device) you can expect more restrictions to come.

What has that got to do with flight mode?  Everyone's got a device whether it's on or off.  Sorry, but your post doesn't stack up.

Seems incredibly bizarre...  perhaps the FA was new and had misunderstood ?

The person making the announcements was the FA Supervisor, so I doubt if a Supervisor could be “new”.

The announcement, which was repeated a number of times throughout the flight, made it very clear that “all phones and other devices must remain off and NOT turned back on until INSIDE the terminal”.

Anyone else flown with ThaiSmile in last week or so who can confirm the above....or otherwise?

On 5/13/2018 at 5:13 PM, Gregster said:

Flew with ThaiSmile yesterday. Repeatedly told by cabin crew “no device allowed to turn on throughout flight”.

I ask if ok to turn on in Flight mode? Answer was a big NO.

What the ..... ?!?!!

In the past this airline has always allowed devices to be opened in flight mode.

Anyone else aware of their new (20 year old) rule?

I flew them last Friday, 1-hour domestic hop and there was no restrictions beyond the standard instruction to turn off for t-o & l and use only in flight mode otherwise.

On 5/13/2018 at 9:14 PM, KhunBENQ said:

To me it makes a difference whether a device is switched off or switched on (using power) in whatever mode.

Goodbye from me.

I take it you will not be flying with ThaiSmile then? Are there any airlines that can categorically claim that their powered device strategy is 100% rigorously enforced and absolutely fail-safe?

TBH, I wish they would make it a blanket ban on smartphones from door closed to door open. That would stop the inveterate yackers with dangling ear piece, shouting into the edge of their phones. It would also end that hastily declined incoming phone call as the plane touches down. What's with the urgent need to call someone and tell them (and all of us), "Iv'e arrived!"? Goes along with the rush to get out the door first... and then stand still on the moving walkway inside the terminal.

How pathetic! Another reason not to be sat in a cramped seat in budget airline   

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

How pathetically wrong you are in your assumptions. I was actually on a Thai Airways flight (operated by ThaiSmile) flying Business Class in the front row of the plane with abundant legroom. Enjoyed pre-take off drinks and choice of hot meals, deserts and drinks en-route.

Oh, I also enjoyed the BKK Thai Airways lounge prior to departure.

People will be in meltdown no access to a smartphone for an hour
Dear oh dear the world will still continue to turn

Sorry to disappoint you but topic is not about smartphones. It’s about all electronic devices.

How pathetically wrong you are in your assumptions. I was actually on a Thai Airways flight (operated by ThaiSmile) flying Business Class in the front row of the plane with abundant legroom. Enjoyed pre-take off drinks and choice of hot meals, deserts and drinks en-route.  

How’d you like the lounge? Which one was it?

2 hours ago, Gregster said:

Sorry to disappoint you but topic is not about smartphones. It’s about all electronic devices.

lol lol lol so you are without your Gameboy for an hour.

Dear oh dear

How’d you like the lounge? Which one was it?

Lounge was ok, would have been better if they had alcohol [emoji481]

It was the BKK Thai Airways Lounge, located adjacent to Gate A1. Do you know it? Have you been in? If so, did you like it?

The pilot, on any flight, can instruct any additional restrictions he desires.

All rubbish though there is actually no evidence ever established that “electronic devices “ have any adverse effect on airplane navigation whatsoever. It is pure hype the US airlines even let you chat on phones and have built in WiFi now.

On any large plane even if instructed to turn off I’d imagine a dozen plus mobiles are accidentally left on. Nothing ever happens does it?

The battery fires ARE a major hazard thought as well as the potential for IEDS to be hidden within. I imagine in the near future all such devices will be banned from boarding or hold loading except for “ star alliance gold card” etc, with pre-registered devices.

Oh and I was on SCOOT recently. No problem listening to my music but no earplugs in during takeoff or landing, scolded twice up and down. Perhaps They want you to be able hear the emergency announcements ?

Lounge was ok, would have been better if they had alcohol [emoji481]

It was the BKK Thai Airways Lounge, located adjacent to Gate A1. Do you know it? Have you been in? If so, did you like it?

I haven’t flow domestic since the the new airport opened. I generally use D, but I’ve used most of them and think they’re all okay.

One nice thing about TG is how easy it is to maintain their gold card.

You can always read the Post in a pinch...

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I flew them last Friday, 1-hour domestic hop and there was no restrictions beyond the standard instruction to turn off for t-o & l and use only in flight mode otherwise.

I take it you will not be flying with ThaiSmile then? Are there any airlines that can categorically claim that their powered device strategy is 100% rigorously enforced and absolutely fail-safe?

TBH, I wish they would make it a blanket ban on smartphones from door closed to door open. That would stop the inveterate yackers with dangling ear piece, shouting into the edge of their phones. It would also end that hastily declined incoming phone call as the plane touches down. What's with the urgent need to call someone and tell them (and all of us), "Iv'e arrived!"? Goes along with the rush to get out the door first... and then stand still on the moving walkway inside the terminal.

I can never understand the rush to wait for the doors to open, as the checked luggage is not going to arrive any sooner.

With regard to the locker fire on the KLM flight, it was not made clear if the device was being charged from a power pack or not.   Better that it caught fire in the locker rather than in the hold where it would not be accessible during the flight.

Presumably, flight attendants will be given some training in what to do if a similar fire occurred, as water is the last thing that should be used on a lithium fire.

1 minute ago, masuk said:

I can never understand the rush to wait for the doors to open, as the checked luggage is not going to arrive any sooner.

With regard to the locker fire on the KLM flight, it was not made clear if the device was being charged from a power pack or not.   Better that it caught fire in the locker rather than in the hold where it would not be accessible during the flight.

Presumably, flight attendants will be given some training in what to do if a similar fire occurred, as water is the last thing that should be used on a lithium fire.

There are fire extinguishers onboard so they would most likely be the ones that spray powder onto an electrical fire.

I hear the cheaper airlines are just going to open a window and throw them out.

One nice thing about TG is how easy it is to maintain their gold card.

Yes agree, but my Qantas Club LIFE membership card is a lot easier to maintain. Come to think of it, there is no “maintenance” of it required, guess that’s why it’s called a life membership card.

Of all the Lounges I’ve visited, the Emirates FIRST CLASS lounge located in Dubai is my top pick. Maybe a new thread to discuss?

Anyway enough of Lounges/Cards and back to topic....Thanks for those who have assisted thus far with the OP. Am keen to hear from others who have flown with ThaiSmile, esp to KKC - in the last few weeks.

I’ve only flown on short haul with ThaiSmile 1 hour or less. Enjoyed the delicious snack (hee hee) and slept. Could be do to recent incident with electronics fire on AC. 

In Taiwan flight from/to jinmen/kinmen ( not sure why it’s called both) 

to Taichung Taiwan on Taiwan airlines no electronics and do not stand up until they tell you to even if the airplane is shutdown and stairs are in place with door open to exit. Or they will let you know....  

Good thing at security when flying out you can have a drink and not through it out. Don’t have to take shoes off. Lighter in carry on electronics cable sample no problem quick and easy.  

Ive flown close to 3 million miles in my lifetime and enjoyed every bit of it...

It depends if the flight is operated under FAA (US) or CAA (China) flight regulations. CAA regulations are widely used across Asia, and do not allow electronic devices in flight, no matter the type. I will never book a flight transiting China for this reason. If your flight was going to/from one of the countries that follows CAA regs, or is operated by an airline that follows CAA regs, there's your reason. Nothing to do with the flight attendant or pilot's preference.

Archived