Speaker-equipped drone helps drive away wild elephants

webfact

Speaker-equipped drone helps drive away wild elephants

By The Nation

7978637371660e5052178e80bbf2ab29-sld.jpe

Phetchaburi Rajabhat University academics have used on a trial basis a drone equipped with speakers blaring a recording of bee sounds to drive away wild elephants from the La Au forest in Hua Hin district, Kaeng Krachan National Park official Mana Phermpoon said on Sunday.

The test at the Phu Sai-Sai En area and some farmland around Anant School in Tambon Huai Sat Yai of Hua Hin yielded a satisfactory result. The team, led by lecturer Suwat Techapetchpaiboon, plans to propose to the university council to allow real use of such speaker-equipped drones under the supervision of park officials, Mana said.

This might be useful in preventing elephants from disturbing roads and farmlands as some elephants had been spotted on roads in Hua Hin lately, Mana said.

Mana had earlier advised motorists on the Hua Hin-La Au Road in Tambon Huai Sat Yai to beware of a seven-strong herd of wild elephants roaming the area during late afternoon to evening. There was also another herd of nine elephants (four old ones, three young adults and two babies) found roaming the road’s 15-kilometre marker area last week.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30345274

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-14

They could use the drone too , to find elephants after they get hit by a car .

Btw : did they ever find the one that was hit by a car a couple of weeks ago ? Haven't read any updates on that.

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I've driven a fair amount in Thailand and I've yet to see a "wild" elephant.     

So you have not driven anywhere where they are an everyday occurance,very annoying for the locals.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

So you have not driven anywhere where they are an everyday occurance,very annoying for the locals.

If they are an everyday occurrence I'd have to agree I have not driven on those roads.

Would you like to share where such roads are and please don't give a general area such as "in Issan"

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

If they are an everyday occurrence I'd have to agree I have not driven on those roads.

Would you like to share where such roads are and please don't give a general area such as "in Issan"

We often go here.

Nine out of ten times we see wild elephants on the way back.I have stayed there a few nights and every evening they came to the village and find things to eat.Friends of ours over there have their garden raided all the time.One young bull even stood in front of a window to watch tv.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:37 PM, watcharacters said:

Its quoted in the article "Hua Hin-La Au Road" .... drive from Hua hin to Pa La Au - once you are through the first road block/check point, esp late afternoon and evening.... you were virtually guaranteed to see them in the past. Theres some new barriers up now but they are still an almost daily occurrence.

21 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Its quoted in the article "Hua Hin-La Au Road" .... drive from Hua hin to Pa La Au - once you are through the first road block/check point, esp late afternoon and evening.... you were virtually guaranteed to see them in the past. Theres some new barriers up now but they are still an almost daily occurrence.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:46 AM, jvs said:

If the locals (or road builders) keep taking up forest land, what do they expect?

Drones to drive away the elephants... sounds like a good patch up solution today, but what about preserving their habitat?

Archived