Video: Yet again! Driver repeatedly fails to pull over for ambulance as heart patient rushed to Chumpon hospital

webfact

Video: Yet again! Driver repeatedly fails to pull over for ambulance as heart patient rushed to Chumpon hospital

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Dash cam and internal footage showed the moments when an ambulance on the way to Chumpon hospital could not get past a CRV.

As the heart patient in the back battles for life the selfish driver in front refuses to pull over.

Then when it looks like they are finally going over to the left they incredibly pull back in front of the ambulance again to get past a large truck.

When a clear stretch of road is ahead the ambulance manages to undertake on the left.

But two minutes has been wasted already.

The footage clearly showed the licence plate of the offending vehicle though this was vaselined out in stills from Thai Rath.

It happened shortly after 2pm on Sunday.

There have been many such cases recently.

Calls have been made to increase the fine from 500 baht to something more realistic - such as 20,000 baht wanted by one activist.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-14

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Situations like this will continue to happen on a daily basis as 99% of drivers here are too damn selfish,me,me, me.

The only way to change it is, confiscate the vehicle of any driver blocking an ambulance.

Stop this bloody nonsense of 500 baht fines, take the vehicle and crush it, others will soon start thinking about how to behave on the roads.

Bang on Colin. 

I see those brave first responders at risk too as the CRV seems to be causing the ambulance to be taking some risks.

Unbelievable selfishness!

Last night an ambulance with lights flash came toward me in my soi, I pull over and stopped as the soi is small. A black Merc and another car that were behind me just passed me and blocked the Ambulance. Thais need to be punished each time they fail to yield to emergency vehicles. I sent video to the local police but they just said can not do anything now.

Until Police start to take action against drivers refusing to give or make way for an ambulance in emergency mode, nothing will change...

Enforcement of laws is a necessity,  RTP's lacadaisical attitude to law enforcement must change!! 

I'm in Spain/Ireland on holidays at the moment so haven't been contributing to the conversations on TVF..but this type of thing infuriates me so much I feel the need to do so now. ....  Would it not be a good idea to make these people ( who refuse to give way to ambulances) accountable to the public by making them explain their actions in some sort of Q and A session on a Television programme. They seem like selfish enough people that their type would love the attention. ...and of course a very hefty fine, and 6 months or so time spent in an an emergency ward as " community service".

This is not only a testament of the selfishness of Thai drivers, but it is a testament to what prevails in a country that is virtually devoid of road and traffic enforcement. 

There are no patrol cars in Thailand proactively policing the roads, and the fines and sanctions for breaking traffic laws have absolutely no deterrent value.  And obviously neither the government nor the populace have any plan to change. 
Sorry Thailand, but collectively this is shamefully pathetic!  :closedeyes:

Clueless. They have no concern for anybody but themselves; no spatial awareness or what's happening around them; and certainly will not inconvenience themselves for anyone or anything. Add to that the to selfish entitled face saving attitudes of self importance and voila - Thainess to a tee!

5 minutes ago, connda said:

This is not only a testament of the selfishness of Thai drivers, but it is a testament to what prevails in a country that is virtually devoid of road and traffic enforcement. 

There are no patrol cars in Thailand proactively policing the roads, and the fines and sanctions for breaking traffic laws have absolutely no deterrent value.  And obviously neither the government nor the populace have any plan to change. 
Sorry Thailand, but collectively this is shamefully pathetic!  :closedeyes:

Yes, but they do have groups of officers hiding behind trees and other obstructions, to ambush motor cyclists, usually just before lunch and dinner times!

17 minutes ago, RobertH said:

500 baht, 5,000 baht, 20,000 baht - it's all BS. To some people, those sums are nothing. If the patient dies, charge the driver with manslaughter.

And if the patient lives charge them with attempted manslaughter and give them jail time.

Yesterday, I was was the only bike waiting at the front of a set of lights, with 40 cars in two lanes behind me. I could hear the ambulance from a while back and I pulled right to the very junction and stopped by the kerb.

Another car right at the front pulled over, into the middle of the two lanes, locking himself in the process. No one else moved, the guy did infact block the ambulance path, but he did something. 

When the ambulance finally made it to the front, he stopped behind the guy blocking the route, there was no need to do this, everyone was static and there was plenty of room to drive round the guy. 

We can talk all we want, police, fines, punishment but without training and guidance, Thais do not know what to do in these circumstances, not even the ambulance driver who was so focused on getting this guy to move blaring his signal.

In the UK, the guy at the front would have pulled forward to the junction, giving cars behind room to maneuver to the kerb, leaving a clear path in the middle. No one knew what to do, no one actually cared, they all looked forward.

The lights changed and I charged off, only to see the ambulance pulling off at 30 kmh when i pulled over after the lights. 

I was left scratching my head, what was it all about? 

56 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I'm in Spain/Ireland on holidays at the moment so haven't been contributing to the conversations on TVF..but this type of thing infuriates me so much I feel the need to do so now. ....  Would it not be a good idea to make these people ( who refuse to give way to ambulances) accountable to the public by making them explain their actions in some sort of Q and A session on a Television programme. They seem like selfish enough people that their type would love the attention. ...and of course a very hefty fine, and 6 months or so time spent in an an emergency ward as " community service".

I can tell you these cases are talked about at lenght on Thai social media and the news.These people will be haunted on facebook and receive calls in the middle of the night.Even their family will be caught up in this,believe me they will lose more than face.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Situations like this will continue to happen on a daily basis as 99% of drivers here are too damn selfish,me,me, me.

The only way to change it is, confiscate the vehicle of any driver blocking an ambulance.

Stop this bloody nonsense of 500 baht fines, take the vehicle and crush it, others will soon start thinking about how to behave on the roads.

That's to easy Colin. The authorities are just to dumb. Nothing will change.

Use the video footage to identify then tow the offending car to storage for 30 days.

(1) If nobody claims car / takes responsibility in 90 days, sell the car for storage charges.

(2) If SOMEONE takes responsibility, 10,000THB fine, car stays for 30 days.

(2a) Repeat offender, 50,000THB fine, 60 days in jail, sell the car.

Most other legal systems in other countries would put the driver at fault to jail and confiscate the vehicle.

Put the fine to THB 50'000, three months in jail and the car gets impounded for six months - wondering how many Khon Thai will be willing to go how far ....... 

Foreigner on rented motorbike: 1000 baht fine.

Foreigner smoking at the beach: 2000 baht fine. 

Thai stabs a foreigner: 500 baht fine.

Thai driver blocks an ambulance: 500 baht fine.

Not having your priorities as a country in order: priceless.

Interesting.... it’s only two pages in, but .... as yet no claims of Thai bashing and no overt attacks at the Ambo for not bruting it thru, regardless of wether or not it is safe to do so

posters are maturing, if not road users... well done chaps ?

5 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Last night an ambulance with lights flash came toward me in my soi, I pull over and stopped as the soi is small. A black Merc and another car that were behind me just passed me and blocked the Ambulance. Thais need to be punished each time they fail to yield to emergency vehicles. I sent video to the local police but they just said can not do anything now.

Quite clearly, these drivers don't read ThaiVisa.

Archived