Video: Yet again! Driver repeatedly fails to pull over for ambulance as heart patient rushed to Chumpon hospital

webfact

20.000 B fine is that the value of a life here . This will continue to happen as no laws are enforced . the only time i see traffic police is at road checks .  I only hope the registration of the idiot who was in control of the offending  car is dealt with by the police and he she should be banned from trying to drive as clearly they have no clue 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, hellstens said:

Easy,  take the car number and send a 5000.thb bill to the owner of the car

Better still - TAKE it to the owner of the car and demand immediate payment - by accompanying them to the nearest ATM if necessary, or take the car and sell it - proceeds of the fine or the sale going to the cost of the hospital treatment of the patient in the ambulance.

26 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Most other legal systems in other countries would put the driver at fault to jail and confiscate the vehicle.

Put the fine to THB 50'000, three months in jail and the car gets impounded for six months - wondering how many Khon Thai will be willing to go how far ....... 

Whilst I don’t disagree with your comments I am not aware of any country where people are sent to jail and their vehicle confiscated for failing to give way to an emergency vehicle.

In Australia the penalty is a fine and points on the licence,

I have never heard of anyone being fined in Australia as I expect the police would have to witness the offence.

Then again the majority of drivers either pull over or make sure they get out of the way of the emergency vehicle.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I'm in Spain/Ireland on holidays at the moment so haven't been contributing to the conversations on TVF..but this type of thing infuriates me so much I feel the need to do so now. ....  Would it not be a good idea to make these people ( who refuse to give way to ambulances) accountable to the public by making them explain their actions in some sort of Q and A session on a Television programme. They seem like selfish enough people that their type would love the attention. ...and of course a very hefty fine, and 6 months or so time spent in an an emergency ward as " community service".

I understand your sentiments but wouldn't giving them airtime be giving them what so many crave in this country. Attention. Whether good or bad it's a very "look at me" society. Hit them where it hurts the most and many love there cars more than do anything else, crush the car and huge fines. They hate being hit in the pocket. And of course proper enforcement which will never happen.  

24 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with your comments I am not aware of any country where people are sent to jail and their vehicle confiscated for failing to give way to an emergency vehicle.

In Australia the penalty is a fine and points on the licence,

I have never heard of anyone being fined in Australia as I expect the police would have to witness the offence.

Then again the majority of drivers either pull over or make sure they get out of the way of the emergency vehicle.

In Australia, 99.9% of drivers pull to the side for an ambulance. Even someone driving a stolen car would most likely give way to an ambulance. It speaks volumes for Thai drivers that so many just don't seem to care about others less fortunate than themselves.

6 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Last night an ambulance with lights flash came toward me in my soi, I pull over and stopped as the soi is small. A black Merc and another car that were behind me just passed me and blocked the Ambulance. Thais need to be punished each time they fail to yield to emergency vehicles. I sent video to the local police but they just said can not do anything now.

Black Mercedes!!!!

10 minutes ago, BimBoon said:

I understand your sentiments but wouldn't giving them airtime be giving them what so many crave in this country. Attention. Whether good or bad it's a very "look at me" society. Hit them where it hurts the most and many love there cars more than do anything else, crush the car and huge fines. They hate being hit in the pocket. And of course proper enforcement which will never happen.  

Yes, an old show business adage states:- "Any publicity is good publicity"

Sticking by "her man" in light of the Monica Lewinsky affair didn't do Hillary Clinton much harm, did it?

2 minutes ago, Spock said:

In Australia, 99.9% of drivers pull to the side for an ambulance. Even someone driving a stolen car would most likely give way to an ambulance. It speaks volumes for Thai drivers that so many just don't seem to care about others less fortunate than themselves.

Don’t forget of course that in Australia most people learn to drive and have to take a real driving test before being issued with a licence.

I don’t know what happens in other states but in NSW it’s now three years to obtain the full licence.

It didn’t take my Thai wife that long to obtain residency when we lived there.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Situations like this will continue to happen on a daily basis as 99% of drivers here are too damn selfish,me,me, me.

The only way to change it is, confiscate the vehicle of any driver blocking an ambulance.

Stop this bloody nonsense of 500 baht fines, take the vehicle and crush it, others will soon start thinking about how to behave on the roads.

I fully agree, i will donate fitted bull bars and push them out of the way 

3 hours ago, RobertH said:

500 baht, 5,000 baht, 20,000 baht - it's all BS. To some people, those sums are nothing. If the patient dies, charge the driver with manslaughter.

I said this in a previous post i.e charge driver with manslaughter....take vehicle away and crush before the drivers eyes then he might learn what a death is.....HIS POOR VEHICLE,

I also said that when one has to watch a video at the driving office this kind of thing should be shown....NOT what to DO but WHAT ONE SHOULD DO...THAT IS LET EMERGENCY VEHICLES PASS...

Just a sample and when it happens the government should pay for it!  Film it all and put it on national T.V.

If I was the ambulance driver I would just ramp the vehicle from behind and push it off the road.  Show that to the Thai population as to what authorized by the government and don't expect to get pay for damages! 

Thereafter, they be pulling over real quick?

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Don’t forget of course that in Australia most people learn to drive and have to take a real driving test before being issued with a licence.

I don’t know what happens in other states but in NSW it’s now three years to obtain the full licence.

It didn’t take my Thai wife that long to obtain residency when we lived there.

It's not just about licenses. Facilitating the smooth passage of an ambulance is more about placing value on the life of another person and caring about the welfare of others. 

Name and shame this idiot in National TV and all the social media! Make him/her loose face; that what they hate most!!

It is just criminal behavior and should addressed as such; impounding car is just one thing...

I thought that my worst nightmare is to go in China in an ambulance when having an emergency.

Luckily when that happened it was 3am and it took only 1/2h instead of the usual 2h to get to the hospital.

However, the priorities. First to cashier to pay and then to ER... Did that while lying on the ambulance gurney and paid the trip too while on the way. I wonder what would have happened if I were not conscious...

Seems Thailand works the same way so the Chinese tourists will feel like at home. :smile:

https://www.huffingtonpost.in/2017/04/11/not-giving-way-to-ambulances-can-now-result-in-a-fine-of-10-000_a_22034608/

NEWS

11/04/2017 11:13 AM IST | Updated 11/04/2017 11:28 AM IST

Not Giving Way To Ambulances Can Now Result In A Fine Of ₹10,000

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/803825/driving-fine-moving-out-way-ambulance-UK

Driver WARNING - You can be fined for moving out of the way of an ambulance, here's why

6 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I would love to hear from one of these blocking drivers their reason for not moving to the nearside.

"I no hear."
"I no see."
"Brakes fail."
Same, same and not different. 

26 minutes ago, LarryLEB said:

In the future, when videos are shown of the offending vehicle, Thai Rath (and other reporting agencies) should NOT cover the licence plate number.  Show the plate number:  Shame the offender.

But what about those darn defamation laws?

Quick answer! Just get PM Prayut to issue an order under 44 that allows plate number of these offenders to be shown.

This ignorance might have also other reasons. Ambulances use their blue flashing lights often without the need for priority. Private cars have flashing lights of all kinds just for decoration. The ambulance horns are often too weak to get heard in a noisy environment or with a car stereo turned up. The usage and specifications of those priority signals should be better regulated (and enforced). Front flashers and compressed-air horns could be more efficient. Otherwise one might think there is just another one of those crazy  pushing minibus drivers behind.

8 minutes ago, Stefanix said:

This ignorance might have also other reasons. Ambulances use their blue flashing lights often without the need for priority. Private cars have flashing lights of all kinds just for decoration. The ambulance horns are often too weak to get heard in a noisy environment or with a car stereo turned up. The usage and specifications of those priority signals should be better regulated (and enforced). Front flashers and compressed-air horns could be more efficient. Otherwise one might think there is just another one of those crazy  pushing minibus drivers behind.

Not a very good argument .I had an ambulance coming up from behind yesterday,i could see him at least 300 meters away.Everybody moved out of the way including a big truck.

Whenever i had a minibus driver doing the push thing,i would move over.It is mostly a thing of the past they are doing 90kph maximum now.

Well, if you don't care what happens behind you and notice the car behind you only when its very close, you might not easily identify it as an ambulance. I don't want to excuse this behaviour, just try to find an explanation. I know, foresighted driving and and the ability to give in are certainly not qualities of the average Thai driver. But most would give way once they know that there is a medical emergency. I would really like to know the blocking driver's view of the published cases. Let's be open for all sides and possibilities. 

12 minutes ago, Stefanix said:

Well, if you don't care what happens behind you and notice the car behind you only when its very close, you might not easily identify it as an ambulance. I don't want to excuse this behaviour, just try to find an explanation. I know, foresighted driving and and the ability to give in are certainly not qualities of the average Thai driver. But most would give way once they know that there is a medical emergency. I would really like to know the blocking driver's view of the published cases. Let's be open for all sides and possibilities. 

You sir are unbelievable, never seen a more ridiculous comment.

Blues an twos, you know flashing lights and siren.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

You sir are unbelievable, never seen a more ridiculous comment.

I understand that it would be a pleasure for the TVF mob to lynch the suspects without even listening their sides of the story. Even though those drivers made serious mistakes, it would be important to understand the why and how.

Archived