Video: Yet again! Driver repeatedly fails to pull over for ambulance as heart patient rushed to Chumpon hospital

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, hellstens said:

Easy,  take the car number and send a 5000.thb bill to the owner of the car

Might be necessary to send him the bill for a funeral in some circumstances.

Hard to comment as I just don't grasp why they don't let the ambulance past... I would want to get out of the way for my own safety!

Name and shame....

I do hope that on the Thai news, the license plate is visible so people can see

and shame the drivers who do not get the message to get over. Thais do not

like to lose face. A large fine of 5000, first offence, 10,000 2nd offence and

car seized with 20,000 baht fine, or sold off car for 3rd or more offences.

Geezer

Do we know for sure the ambulance was going to a hospital with someone in the back? Or just going home for lunch.

Just sayin...

If police and emergency vehicles only used lights when necessary then people may act differently. 

See red lights flashing on the Chonburi motorway? Oh it is just the motorway breakdown truck driving along!

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Do we know for sure the ambulance was going to a hospital with someone in the back? Or just going home for lunch.

Just sayin...

A quick viewing of the video attached to post # 1 may have answered your question.   Just saying...

20 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Just sayin...

If police and emergency vehicles only used lights when necessary then people may act differently. 

See red lights flashing on the Chonburi motorway? Oh it is just the motorway breakdown truck driving along!

If you or 1 of your loved 1s were in an ambulance being rushed to hospital, would you say ok folks up to you whether you get out of the way or not..... No you wouldnt.

Many times emergency vehicles wrongly use their lights/ sirens, but we dont know if it is genuine or not, so move out of the way... Always.

I am alive today because nobody blocked the ambulance i was in when i was rushed to hospital.

23 minutes ago, colinneil said:

If you or 1 of your loved 1s were in an ambulance being rushed to hospital, would you say ok folks up to you whether you get out of the way or not..... No you wouldnt.

Many times emergency vehicles wrongly use their lights/ sirens, but we dont know if it is genuine or not, so move out of the way... Always.

I am alive today because nobody blocked the ambulance i was in when i was rushed to hospital.

A minute can be as precious as an hour when First Responders are rushing a trauma victim to a hospital. So as Colinneil points out, drivers should not try to guess if this is truly an emergency or a "fake emergency". I am reasonably sure that the vast majority are real (yes, I know, TIT).

17 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with your comments I am not aware of any country where people are sent to jail and their vehicle confiscated for failing to give way to an emergency vehicle.

In Australia the penalty is a fine and points on the licence,

I have never heard of anyone being fined in Australia as I expect the police would have to witness the offence.

Then again the majority of drivers either pull over or make sure they get out of the way of the emergency vehicle.

In Thailand you have to hit where it hurts most. Take the cherished vehicle away is a loss of face (where is your car? by neighbours, working colleagues etc.). The fine is next; it has to hurt badly. 
Should a patient in an emergency vehicle die because of being blocked on the way to the hospital then it should carry murder or at least manslaughter charges with a mandatory jail sentence. 
Yet the system is so godforsaken sick, that ambulances are stopped to pay highway tolls at any of those hundreds of toll gates - go figure. 

And, to give you an example from Europe; FOLLOWING an ambulance in its path (at the same speed) carried a fine of 5% of my friend's yearly salary - so happened in Switzerland.  

In closing, it is a matter of learning how to drive, common sense and human logic - some of these might be missing in Prathet Thai! 

Many drivers here are so incredibly self absorbed, they just do not give a damn about anyone else on the road. Even people who are dying! The only way to resolve this, is to get the police to start practicing traffic safety, something they adamantly refuse to do. Vehicles must be impounded, with massive fines of 50,000 baht. Then, word will quickly get around, and people will start paying attention.

Also, massive social media campaigns directed at shaming the person responsible might help.

Dam why can't the government increase the fines dramatically, what is a 500thb fine, zero for a owner from a car who paid few 100000 till over 1milj, make the fine minimum 20000THB, and confiscate the car till it's paid. People die here easily in a ambulance. Unbelievable Thai don't care. 

23 hours ago, Surasak said:

I honestly didn't think it was possible to teach stupidity, until I came to Thailand.? It didn't take long to change my mind.

no need to teach it to local motorists as that seems to be the default.

22 hours ago, Spock said:

It's not just about licenses. Facilitating the smooth passage of an ambulance is more about placing value on the life of another person and caring about the welfare of others. 

The point I was making was that, certainly in Australia, if you are taught to drive properly and study the road rules you learn that you are required by law to pull over or stop for an emergency vehicle.

Here in Thailand as most people are not taught to drive properly and the test is a joke they obviously do not learn such requirements.

A glimmer of light on this subject. Yesterday I left Don Muang, just as a heavy storm was easing to drive back to Saraburi province. The traffic was heavy, slow moving and dense on Highway One and despite the gloom very few vehicles had their lights on. Therefore it was quite easy to see, in the mirrors, that 100 metres plus behind me was an ambulance trying to make headway in the outside lane.

A glimmer of light on this subject. Yesterday I left Don Muang, just as a heavy storm was easing to drive back to Saraburi province. The traffic was heavy, slow moving and dense on Highway One and despite the gloom very few vehicles had their lights on. Therefore it was quite easy to see, in the mirrors, that 100 metres plus behind me was an ambulance trying to make headway in the outside lane.

When the ambulance was just behind the vehicle following me I pulled over into lane two and the vehicle behind me followed suit -so maybe the message is seeping through.

On 5/14/2018 at 12:26 PM, colinneil said:

Situations like this will continue to happen on a daily basis as 99% of drivers here are too damn selfish,me,me, me.

The only way to change it is, confiscate the vehicle of any driver blocking an ambulance.

Stop this bloody nonsense of 500 baht fines, take the vehicle and crush it, others will soon start thinking about how to behave on the roads.

Agree with your sentiments but the the simple facts are motor vehicles have changed over the years. A big selling point i road noise i.e they are quiet and exclude extraneous noise. Add a good sound system and air conditioning.....people are driving in a cocoon. This has been recognize by emergency responders the world over. I was taught to check the rear visoin  mirror every 7 seconds as part of my training. 

Not making excuses.......the EM need to be LOUDER.

On 5/14/2018 at 7:56 PM, Spock said:

In Australia, 99.9% of drivers pull to the side for an ambulance. Even someone driving a stolen car would most likely give way to an ambulance. It speaks volumes for Thai drivers that so many just don't seem to care about others less fortunate than themselves.

In Australia if you see flashing lights you pull over as it is an emergency. In Thailand flashing lights don't constitute an emergency. Flashing lights AND a siren means an emergency........very confusing. You see patient transport "Ambulances" frequently with flashing lights but no emergency situation, I can understand how people get desensitized even the expat city dwellers who get outraged at anything it would seem.

The real and only answer is to crush the car that deliberately holds up the ambulance every time no matter who it is,  do it the same day.  No appeals.  Photos in every paper on every channel of Thai TV.  Show the idiots you mean business.  Do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived