"Bangkok Christian Hospital" experience.

dddave

I have fairly advanced Osteo-Arthritis in both my knee's and just spent all of April in my home city of Boston preparing the way for knee replacement surgery.  As a veteran, I get free health care which includes knee replacement.  The chief orthopedic physician agreed that I need new knees but the wheels of the VA turn slowly and it won't be until sometime this summer before I can be slotted in.  He did suggest Cortisone injections in both knees for pain reduction but again, the slow wheels precluded getting an appointment for such injections before my pre-determined departure date.

30 hours seated in a cramped airline seat did my knees no good and they have been much more painful and stiff since arriving back in Bangkok last week.  I had researched Cortisone shots in Bangkok in the past but came up empty.  I decided to try again. 

I have always heard (and read here on this forum) positive things about Bangkok Christian Hospital so I decided to start there.  I emailed their Patient Management Dept. and they responded that I could see an Orthopedic Dr. on a walk-in basis any day. (I failed to clarify if that includes Sat. & Sun.)

I showed-up today (Monday) at 9AM and was immediately ushered to the Registration Desk where as a first time patient, I had to fill out a few short forms.  They copied my passport, (necessary) insisted I sit in a wheelchair and rolled me up to the 2nd floor screening area where my BP/temp. was taken and a nurse fluent in English asked the usual round of questions.  I had thought to bring along a CD of my X-Rays and Radiologist reports so they did not insist on doing their own X-Rays as many local hospitals try to do.

I was then rolled to a waiting area and in about 15 minutes, taken in to the office of Dr. Somchai Kuptniratsaikul.  He asked why I was there, (excellent English), listened, then reviewed my X-Rays and quickly scanned the reports I had brought along.  He agreed that Cortisone would probably give significant relief.  We did discus some other options such as Synvisc but he thought Cortisone had a better chance of working and noted that Synvisc was significantly more expensive:  no up-sell, which impressed me as it is so common here. 

We went ahead with the Cortisone injections: one in the left knee, 2 in the right.  I was more than a little apprehensive,  as I admit to being a little girl when it comes to injections, but he had a good touch and all I felt were a few minor twinges...a happy surprise.

He told me  my knees would probably still be sore for a day or so, then I should notice improvement.  I have to say I noticed markedly less pain as I walked away and I don't believe it was just a placebo effect.  He also gave me some powerful pain pills just in case.

Pharmacy and cashier took about 15 minutes.

The Bill:  

Physician & procedure:  B1500

Drugs:............................. B825

Hospital charges & Misc.B171

Total................................B2,496   (I was expecting B5000++)

I was climbing into a Taxi at 10:45am,  less than two hours all in.  Needless to say, I was impressed and highly satisfied with my overall experience at Bangkok Christian Hospital and would urge anybody seeking a local Bangkok hospital for treatment to consider it.  It may not have the amenities of the well known Five-Star facilities but if cleanliness, competence and cost are important to you, BCH fills the bill.

I will report in a week or so about the ongoing effectiveness of the steroid injections.

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Very glad you had a good experience, wish you all the best for what's to come.

What would also be of high interest, how were the female nurses ?!! :crazy:

Thanks for the good wishes

The nurses, were pleasant, competent and normal looking.  You would perhaps prefer Yanhee Hosp. 

I have recently spent some time at Christian and have nothing but high praise for the staff and doctors. Yes, there can be some communication issues at times, but usually quickly resolved. The doctors are first rate, many come from Chula and also work at Bumrungrad. I saw my doctor during his hours at Bumrungrad and he told me to get the surgery done at Christian - same doctor, same anesthetist, same equipment, just cheaper "air" - I had previously seen him at Christian so there already was a connection with the hospital.

They worked directly with my insurance (Aetna Thailand) and all I had to pay was 60 baht on a +100K baht bill. 

Amazing hospital but as I Sheryl has said " in Thailand it's the Dr. you choose that's really more important than the hospital " with that said many times I locate the better ( and more experienced ) Dr.'s I want to see and they are available at BCH even if they are not there full time and just there a few hours once a week like the cardiologist and ENT Dr.'s I use . This hospital has been around for decades and is also very very clean .

It also has a very good quality if professional nursing care, much better than what I have observed in most of the more expensive private hospitals. (Referring here to professional nursing care, not how quickly someone pops in the refill your water pitcher!)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all, I want to get medical treatment from Bangkok Christian Hospital. I couldn't find the way to contact on website (I don't know Thai Language). Can anyone please help me to contact them to get an appointment and estimated cost for Rib Resection by thoracic surgeon.

By the way, I am 45 yrs old female from Bangladesh. During a CT Scan, it was discovered that there is a marked expansion with cystic lesion and calcifications measuring about AP-4.0cm X TD-4.0cm X CC-5.2cm and suggested that I've Monostotic Fibrous dysplasia of the 9th  Rib (Right).

Furthermore, I was recommended to undergo the Rib Resection procedure. I need your suggestions and advice me with estimated cost and estimated duration of days to complete the procedure as soon as possible.

CT Scan Pics (2).jpg

CT Scan Pics (5).jpg

On 1/9/2019 at 3:00 PM, atyclb said:

someone i know very well was seen there for a pinched neck nerve that complained of arm weakness and pain going down same arm was not even examined by the orthopod there, just sent for a scan.

When I went there for an ear infection,  I was left with the distinct impression they were recommending unnecessary expensive procedures etc

5 minutes ago, katana said:
On 1/9/2019 at 10:00 PM, atyclb said:

someone i know very well was seen there for a pinched neck nerve that complained of arm weakness and pain going down same arm was not even examined by the orthopod there, just sent for a scan.

When I went there for an ear infection,  I was left with the distinct impression they were recommending unnecessary expensive procedures etc

an upscale thai gal friend went to another private bkk hospital because of a sore throat and spent one night receiving iv antibiotics and got every blood test known to mankind but per paperwork seems they did not do a throat culture.  about 1200 usd total cost but has insurance.  a usa doctor i know thought most tests not called for

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

i would think hospitals in india can also do this surgery and the cost significantly less in India also, and quality high.

Agree. It is doubtful BCH has a surgeon with experience in this, I think they only have 1-2 thoracic surgeons total. At a private hosp[ital in Thailand this will likely cost over 400,000 baht and it will be a struggle to find surgeon with appropriate experience. I will get back with more specific suggestions later but indeed India is best bet both in terms of price and finding a surgeon with experience performing surgery for this condition.

OP:  after considerable searching I cannot find anyone in Thailand with experience treating this. It is a rare condition, and Thailand is a comparatively small country. While you might find a surgeon willing to attempt a rib resection I think you would be better served by having this done by someone with prior experience treating this condition.

I suggest you contact this thoracic surgeon in India

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Harshvardhan_Puri2

He is at the Sir Ganga Ram   Hospital in New Delhi and has operated on cases like yours. This is the hospital website

https://www.sgrh.com/

You can email them for a quote [email protected]

Archived