Agency threat 45.k fine

O K folks.

Whats the situation?  Having signed a contract last week  and  then a subsequent  issue changed my situation  dramatically.

I E  our car  was  badly damaged in an accident Sunday evening whilst being driven by a relative.

Now   the issue of getting to work  via public transport time and cost wise will become a big problem, cost around 500/600 baht a day, journey times in and outbound  around 3 +hours each way  as opposed to self drive around 3 hours  in total both in and outbound. It seems as if  the insurance will let me claim 1,000 baht a day travel, however being Tailand I  am not too sure as to the fact such costs will or may be paid

Told the agency, sorry no I cannot  take up the contract then they tell me a 45,000 baht release / fine  has to be paid.Now what legal right do they have?  

I had worked for the previous year for this agency and to be honest they were  good  as it seems their reputation was/is.

They were less than honest about informing the school as to my age, perhaps a  note to the school if things become heated  might well prove effective.

Nothing about penalty and  also  no copy of contract handed on or  transmitted by  email. Line etc.

I understand their  problems but  my problem is a darn sight more  of an issue that theirs.I note that they were /are still advertising posts for the  school I was  to be employed at.

Reckon they are having problems in getting teachers hence my situation hasn't improved matters.  All left to the last moment as usual by school and agency. (Contract was signed on Wednesday May 9th 2018)

Actually we own the house we live in  and I  have a family and I Iike to be with them on a daily basis in the evenings. The idea of the routine of commuting in on a Monday and back on a Friday is not really practical much like running two homes. The transport problem rests with the insurance company not me.

But thanks for the advice Rc2702, if I was young and single it would be the ideal solution

Firstly  the distance involved is, was not a problem with self drive.

Now the icing on the cake. I  have just received a Line message offering me a position  that is very near to home  hence even having to use public transport for a while is no problem.

Good relationships between  myself and the agency concerned have been restored, as I have already said they are decent to work with.

Common sense and some give and take on both sides solved the problem , proves that there are some decent agencies out there.

Many  thanks to all of you for your sage advice and help though

Rc2702.

When common sense applies and a  solution is arrived  to the satisfaction of all concerned, yes it is one of those ''Great agency stories.

A mutually agreed amicable solution was reached. Once the agency  knew the full facts  they acted and advised me in how to deal with the situation.

Perhaps yes a little  touch of temper on the part of someone who was  working under pressure is and can be expected. 

However they then  listened, advised and acted in their and my interests to solve the problem, to me that is the mark of an honourable business practice.

Not all agencies are the devil in disguise nor are all teachers the paragons of virtue either.

As  said, Alls well that ends well.

Just a little heads up when you,ve been here as long as I have working in education then retire  but  get very easily bored the work ethic is a saving grace..

I , we are financially sound but unlike  my home country there are  few if any  avenues to stimulate one mentally in retirement.

Bar stool life is not my idea of fun, working to hopefully at least motivate only one child is preferable to mental stagnation and cirrhosis of the liver. 

15 hours ago, Annunaki said:

They were less than honest about informing the school as to my age,

I wonder how much is "less than honest", you are 72, that is 12 over the age of retirement in Thailand.

So this wonderful agency is lying to the school, the children and the parents - top agency, NOT.

Comments from some are certainly typical  of the superior teacher  passing through type immigrants here.

Thai practice is wrong. Arrogant  foreign teachers right.

My age is of no concern  as a WP has always been granted for the last 27 years that I have lived and worked here. Even now no  problems met,  no questions asked .Good clean record

So that argument is not valid. The error it seems was a genuine mistake  which I interpreted the wrong way when told, the age issue of  72 made no difference to the position  being  given to me. The problem was a RTA and crossed lines of communication 

So when you have all finished your careers here and elsewhere in Intl schools and retire on a decent pension as well as other income, you'll find time hangs heavily  hence the work ethic.I am not motivated by money. 

Pitiful little people full of self righteous pomposity and self importance making comments about an issue they have no comprehension of.

It should be remembered that agencies, and schools, tend to get mentioned when there is a problem.   We don't hear much about them when no adverse situations arise.  

We have hired teachers from agencies.   Most of the teachers had problems with the agency.   It is also clear that some of the agencies had trouble with the teachers, with more than a few having a number of deficits in the teaching department.  

A few people I know had very good experiences with agencies, enjoyed working for them, learned a lot, saw a variety of settings and felt that the exposure they gained helped them to know and understand what they wanted, employment-wise.

One teacher's agency even helped him move, and it was a relocation several provinces away.   They were also helpful in coordinating with us with his paperwork for a new visa and work permit.   Of course, he had given them the required notice that he would be leaving and made sure to schedule any interviews in such a way that it did not inconvenience the school where he was assigned.

Only a fool lends anything to a Thai, let alone a car....I've seen their attitude to borrowing n they do not give a damn...

Been teaching here 20 yrs seen it all so I never loan anything...When I first came here I loaned money on the promise, I'll give it back.....

A loan asked for, from a Thai, means...You will never get it back full stop...

On 5/15/2018 at 10:23 AM, Annunaki said:

Comments from some are certainly typical  of the superior teacher  passing through type immigrants here.

Thai practice is wrong. Arrogant  foreign teachers right.

My age is of no concern  as a WP has always been granted for the last 27 years that I have lived and worked here. Even now no  problems met,  no questions asked .Good clean record

So that argument is not valid. The error it seems was a genuine mistake  which I interpreted the wrong way when told, the age issue of  72 made no difference to the position  being  given to me. The problem was a RTA and crossed lines of communication 

So when you have all finished your careers here and elsewhere in Intl schools and retire on a decent pension as well as other income, you'll find time hangs heavily  hence the work ethic.I am not motivated by money. 

Pitiful little people full of self righteous pomposity and self importance making comments about an issue they have no comprehension of.

But you were ready and willing to use the age issue yourself to get out of your contract?

On 5/14/2018 at 5:53 PM, Annunaki said:

Actually we own the house we live in  and I  have a family and I Iike to be with them on a daily basis in the evenings. The idea of the routine of commuting in on a Monday and back on a Friday is not really practical much like running two homes. The transport problem rests with the insurance company not me.

But thanks for the advice Rc2702, if I was young and single it would be the ideal solution

How long is the car repair going to last? 2-3 weeks max?

The world doesn't revolve around you. You have made an agreement, a contract, and will have to fulfill it or pay the appropriate compensation. 

You can choose to commute by public transport, or rent for a short time, or whatever. But man up and manage it.

I would tell them to swing for it and get a job with another agency or freelance.

The agencies are mercenaries as the people they send up here are uneducated idiots and are told lies like, Oh Isaan is just like Bangkok... Just so they can get the placement fee.

12 hours ago, tagalong said:

Only a fool lends anything to a Thai, let alone a car....I've seen their attitude to borrowing n they do not give a damn...

Been teaching here 20 yrs seen it all so I never loan anything...When I first came here I loaned money on the promise, I'll give it back.....

A loan asked for, from a Thai, means...You will never get it back full stop...

A lot of farang fit that category as well.  But what has this to do with agencies??

On 5/18/2018 at 9:36 PM, tagalong said:

Only a fool lends anything to a Thai,

I've lent money to Thai's and my car with no problems. It comes down to the person, not their nationality.

I would never loan anything to someone I dont know. I've had expats ask to borrow money but because of the person I would not loan to them. 

I still dont understand why some expats are living in Thailand when they dont trust thai's. 

Archived