Racist dual pricing for massages now?

csabo

Took the family of 4 to the sauna on Thep Anusorn Road yesterday and asked for 2 massages for the adults also. Price did not add up so we inquired and were told "150 baht extra for falang".  National lands extra charges I disagree with but they don't leave me with a realistic option but if this girl thinks I can't find a good massage for the regular price she is dreaming. My reward for renting a home and pumping a ton of cash into the community not to mention keeping three Thai nationals fed and in good health year after year is paying extra for a massage?? Seeya!! 

I think many of the Thais designing such pricing policies don't even realize that they're both offensive and racist. Not sure if that makes it better though. I totally agree. Boycott them. But again, if you tell them you're doing that, they probably won't care and register that it's a loss for them. Oh well!

25 minutes ago, csabo said:

Price did not add up so we inquired and were told "150 baht extra for falang"

Considering that felangs are bigger than Thais , I can understand them charging more .

Do Ethiopians get a discount ?

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Considering that felangs are bigger than Thais , I can understand them charging more .

Do Ethiopians get a discount ?

So what about fat Thais? Not to mention all farangs are not the same size or all larger than all Thais. Are you suggesting massages by the kilo? You realize, of course now, how dumb that sounds. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think many of the Thais designing such pricing policies don't even realize that they're both offensive and racist. Not sure if that makes it better though. I totally agree. Boycott them. But again, if you tell them you're doing that, they probably won't care and register that it's a loss for them. Oh well!

A Thai woman overheard the dispute and said the staff is just pocketing the extra cash and that the owner is likely unaware. I'll leave reviews every where I can in hopes it gets back to them. 

1 minute ago, csabo said:

So what about fat Thais? Not to mention all farangs are not the same size or all larger than all Thais. Are you suggesting massages by the kilo? You realize, of course now, how dumb that sounds. 

It twas just a joke .

Sorry for making a joke other than the usual "500 Baht fine and a wai"

4 minutes ago, csabo said:

A Thai woman overheard the dispute and said the staff is just pocketing the extra cash and that the owner is likely unaware. I'll leave reviews every where I can in hopes it gets back to them. 

Which is daft. You prob tip them 150 baht.

15 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Which is daft. You prob tip them 150 baht.

Exactly! I would have ripped the girls who did the actual massages 100 each! Screw them all now. The place caters to the Korean and Chinese bus groups and was giving them all a welcoming glass of tea. The had a ton of glasses and huge kettles of tea available behind the counter. Do you think me or my Thai wife was offered a glass? Yeah, right. 

Racist?  Come on.  Rich falang arrives and receptionist trying it on more like.  Receptionist pockets the difference.

Please don't play the race card at the slightest excuse.  It doesn't cast you in a good light.  Take it on the chin and take your business elsewhere.  

Racist?  Come on.  Rich falang arrives and receptionist trying it on more like.  Receptionist pockets the difference.

Please don't play the race card at the slightest excuse.  It doesn't cast you in a good light.  Take it on the chin and take your business elsewhere.  

Like you said. Farang. White. Yes. Racist. Why play denial games?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Like you said. Farang. White. Yes. Racist. Why play denial games?

Many more important things to do with my life than playing the race card.  If you don't like the price then take your business elsewhere.  Simple.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Just paid US$170 bucks for a one-way domestic flight in Myanmar; two hours in a tuboprop. I suggested that they won't get many passengers on those fares whereupon they advised me that the fare charged for foreigners is considerably higher than the one charged for locals.

This for anyone actively touting Myanmar as a viable alternative to the declining quality of life in LOS.

2 hours ago, csabo said:

They charge lunch time buffets by the kilo in Brazil... well by weight anyway. Probably deters the fatties.

Not as dumb as it sounds.

16 hours ago, csabo said:

Took the family of 4 to the sauna on Thep Anusorn Road yesterday and asked for 2 massages for the adults also. Price did not add up so we inquired and were told "150 baht extra for falang".  National lands extra charges I disagree with but they don't leave me with a realistic option but if this girl thinks I can't find a good massage for the regular price she is dreaming. My reward for renting a home and pumping a ton of cash into the community not to mention keeping three Thai nationals fed and in good health year after year is paying extra for a massage?? Seeya!! 

A number of points.

As someone indicated it's most likely the staff member inflated the price for her own advantage. The owner wouldn't see that money.

These small businesses are really hurting these days with the fall in tourist numbers from Europe and other traditional customer sources. The places with a Chinese connection are the only ones making good money. 

Most small shops get very few customers on a daily basis now and will try to pry a little extra when ever they see a "one born every minute" walk in the door.  

These massage shops invariable have their prices advertised on a board, the window or a card (menu). If you pay more than the advertised price, more fool you.

Tourists get ripped off in tourist centres all over the world, it's not just a Thai thing. The amount you over paid is hardly worth starting a rant on this forum.

Probably the most racist part of this thread is your avatar,

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

<snip>

These massage shops invariable have their prices advertised on a board, the window or a card (menu). If you pay more than the advertised price, more fool you.

Trouble is the Thai price is usually in Thai script/numerals. Even if only price list is in English all Thais know to ask for the Thai price. Farangs need to learn to ask for a discount. I suppose it's not in our modern Western culture. Took me years living here to get the hang of 'asking' without feeling embarrassed. Big places like HomePro, even with their card I have to ask if any discount is available when no discount shows up in the screen. If asked I show my Thai DL and magically after a few key strokes a small discount appears.     

16 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Awwwwww- feel better now? 

Agree with that sentiment..............those folk who have been here a few years know about the dual pricing, and most that I know have accepted it with a shrug of the shoulders, saying "that's Thailand and that's life" or the like.

I know my local and favourite massage shop charges less for Thais, but that doesn't worry me one iota, as long as I get a good one hour massage for my 300 baht, then I'm happy.

Anyway, it's very hard to find good bone fide massage places, now that I have found a couple, I don't intend to stop frequenting them because I know they charge slightly less for Thais – – none of my business really.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:32 AM, xylophone said:

Agree with that sentiment..............those folk who have been here a few years know about the dual pricing, and most that I know have accepted it with a shrug of the shoulders, saying "that's Thailand and that's life" or the like.

I know my local and favourite massage shop charges less for Thais, but that doesn't worry me one iota, as long as I get a good one hour massage for my 300 baht, then I'm happy.

I have been here for almost 15 years and it bothers me now more than in the beginning. Probably because its where I feel at home, have family, a house, a business, speak the language etc. But still being treated different.

Of course, I have learned to deal with it. I have my regular places where I am not being overcharged and treated in a very friendly way. Places that try to rip me off and even if its just a 20 Baht extra charge for being Farang will not see me again. So its not a big deal and I can live with it, but it does bother me every time it happens.

Had a typical experience yesterday. Went to get a haircut, my regular barbershop in Chalong was closed so tried another one around the corner.

Sat down explained what I want in Thai, had a nice little chat with the guy. Next chair is a Thai customer. We all have a nice chat in Thai. All nice people really. Until the end:)

Thai customer is done, asks how much. Barber points to a sign that says in Thai "Haircut 150 baht" and says: 150 Baht

5 minutes later I am done too and asked him how much and he says: "180 Baht"...

I answered: "your sign says 150 Baht,"  gave him 150 Baht and left the shop.

Needless to say I will not be back again...

4 hours ago, thaibutty said:

I have been here for almost 15 years and it bothers me now more than in the beginning. Probably because its where I feel at home, have family, a house, a business, speak the language etc. But still being treated different.

Of course, I have learned to deal with it. I have my regular places where I am not being overcharged and treated in a very friendly way. Places that try to rip me off and even if its just a 20 Baht extra charge for being Farang will not see me again. So its not a big deal and I can live with it, but it does bother me every time it happens.

Had a typical experience yesterday. Went to get a haircut, my regular barbershop in Chalong was closed so tried another one around the corner.

Sat down explained what I want in Thai, had a nice little chat with the guy. Next chair is a Thai customer. We all have a nice chat in Thai. All nice people really. Until the end:)

Thai customer is done, asks how much. Barber points to a sign that says in Thai "Haircut 150 baht" and says: 150 Baht

5 minutes later I am done too and asked him how much and he says: "180 Baht"...

I answered: "your sign says 150 Baht,"  gave him 150 Baht and left the shop.

Needless to say I will not be back again...

Fair comment tb, and I guess I've learned to live with it now and it doesn't bother me one iota, but every one to their own, and as I said earlier, if I have found somewhere that suits me and treats me well, I don't bother asking/finding out if there is a price difference...…….just pay and be happy with the service if it's good; if not I don't go back anyway! :smile:

On 14/05/2018 at 8:18 PM, NanLaew said:

Just paid US$170 bucks for a one-way domestic flight in Myanmar; two hours in a tuboprop. I suggested that they won't get many passengers on those fares whereupon they advised me that the fare charged for foreigners is considerably higher than the one charged for locals.

This will change very shortly.  As someone who has experience this in Myanmar for nearly 20 years, I am totally in agreement with you.

I am in discussions with the relevant stakeholders in the local aviation industry there to get this sorted.

Having said that - in my early years in Myanmar it was just par for the course.  Things are changing there now.  Airfares, along with remote/regional guest houses and hotels are one of the VERY few things that differ from Thailand in a dual pricing respect. Aside from those there were never any other price gouging examples for foreigners

Archived