BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DJ54

NE live in village monthly

2 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Dinosaurs??  Its the "Last Frontier"according to the Tourist Authority.

And as somebody else said "they are already here".  I have sat outside my hotel in Udon and watched the coaches pull up, 3 or 4 at a time and the Chinese pour out and enter the big Pannarai Hotel next door not to be seen again till 9 in the morning when they get back in the coaches.  You may see 4 or 5 of them have a stroll in the street but there is nothing spent outside the hotel....I have actually asked some of the shops and bars.

When I first lived near Ubon there were any number of Western tourists heading up to Chong Mek or to see Khon Jiam and its environs (quite lovely) and when I left seven years later there were none and those towns were empty.

I had a brother-in-law who worked in the Tourist office there.How many could speak English or any other language besides their own?

None.

20 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Let's disregard the sisters and talk only of his wife's parents. They are both younger than he is, but he is providing them with home, food, utilities--what else, clothing, vehicles, cigarettes, alcohol . . . --for them to live in a house he bought and repairs; plus he gives them a salary of B5k.  And, they want more?

Worse yet, when he asks for opinions, so many of you say, "yeah, fine, sounds about right."  <deleted>?

Am I the only one with a wife whose parents don't expect the son-in-law to support them; not just support them, but give them a salary and they expect a raise?

Its the first thing my FIL asked me when I said I wanted to marry his daughter.  The MIL on the other hand got the family together and told them in no uncertain terms they were to all leave us alone!  I didnt understand at the time but now I do.

Its the first thing my FIL asked me when I said I wanted to marry his daughter.  The MIL on the other hand got the family together and told them in no uncertain terms they were to all leave us alone!  I didnt understand at the time but now I do.

What is it you understand now, but didn't then?

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

What is it you understand now, but didn't then?

That they would harrass me for money....she saw it coming, I didnt.

Yes-My MIL was the rock that kept the family off my back.Quite strange isn't it?A fiercely independent,little old lady from Issan.

She wept when I flew out..and I have often wondered why but I think that she had a decent sense of reciprocity and the others did not..

1 minute ago, ThaiFelix said:

That they would harrass me for money....she saw it coming, I didnt.

Maybe I misunderstood what you said at first. You said, " Its the first thing my FIL asked me when I said I wanted to marry his daughter. " I took that to mean your FIL asked for support. Did he not?

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes-My MIL was the rock that kept the family off my back.Quite strange isn't it?A fiercely independent,little old lady from Issan.

She wept when I flew out..and I have often wondered why but I think that she had a decent sense of reciprocity and the others did not..

I think you will find that many have that decent sense of reciprocity; but it seems many expats never find it.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Maybe I misunderstood what you said at first. You said, " Its the first thing my FIL asked me when I said I wanted to marry his daughter. " I took that to mean your FIL asked for support. Did he not?

Correct.  Ok its not the west so he didnt ask if I loved her or would I take good care of her, no.  Would I support HIM was his only concern.

However to be fair the guy does bring the money home.  However he never gives all and he says he is broke  but then turns up with a boat etc.  And in some ways I dont blame him because otherwise the other parasites would be into him.

can i come live in your house too?

I only need 20 000 bht a month ,a will sleep in the same bed as the youngest sister,

i can't work because no WP and i'm 70 y old.

Please ?

Correct.  Ok its not the west so he didnt ask if I loved her or would I take good care of her, no.  Would I support HIM was his only concern.

However to be fair the guy does bring the money home.  However he never gives all and he says he is broke  but then turns up with a boat etc.  And in some ways I dont blame him because otherwise the other parasites would be into him.

Well, if the first thing my FIL asked was if I would support him; I think I would have seen being  harassed for money was in the pipeline. However, I am happy to hear your MIL would have none of it.

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I think you will find that many have that decent sense of reciprocity; but it seems many expats never find it.

Sorry-What I saw in Isaan was way different and that is that.I am neither attacking the Thai or foreigners.

I shall never be enlisted to attack foreigners-I saw too much for that-but I will always recognize and acknowledge the many kindnesses shown by the Thai but I reserve the right to describe some of their fantastical cargo-cultism on display as well.

The glass was neither half empty or half full-but it was one hell of a strange glass..:smile:

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Difficult to find something if not there in the first place.

Look fair enough you have found a nice content niche but please dont think others have the same  but dont see iut.  I can tell you some horror stories like the poor guy that works 6 days a week at home, has nothing of his own, lives in a tiny bedsit because he is forever sending ALL his money here for his demanding wife and child.  If you go to the wife's house it is full of every kind of extended family sitting around drinking and gambling....none work.  And all along the MIL is grumbling that he is a cheap charlie farang!!

58 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Let's disregard the sisters and talk only of his wife's parents. They are both younger than he is, but he is providing them with home, food, utilities--what else, clothing, vehicles, cigarettes, alcohol . . . --for them to live in a house he bought and repairs; plus he gives them a salary of B5k.  And, they want more?

Worse yet, when he asks for opinions, so many of you say, "yeah, fine, sounds about right."  <deleted>?

Am I the only one with a wife whose parents don't expect the son-in-law to support them; not just support them, but give them a salary and they expect a raise?

Completely on your side smotherb.

They also work the market selling things and getting income from other sources. It is absolute bull <deleted> what they are doing and are trying it on to see how much they can get. GREED. simple as. What's wrong also with the father looking after the cows? Why pay a sister to clean the bloody house when she is hanging out there and no doubt eating free and doing nothing else of any useful consequence!

I have found up in Isaarn, the more money you give mother and father and/or family members, the more the money is misused and abused, as is your trust in them to do the right thing.

They haven't earned it (money), so they don't look after or respect it. We can all be good at spending other peoples money. My other half's mother lives in a house adjacent to us that you-know-who built. She is forever over here asking for money. She has another daughter plus six sons, one of whom drives a Fortuner! They give NOTHING and all work away in Bangkok.

When I pointed this out to the greedy old cow, she said ' They have families to support ' I then reminded her, I have two sons I still support from my UK marriage and was met with a stony-faced silence. I used to give her 8,000 baht a month, I have cut it to 4,000 as she just gives the layabout son money who lives with her for his Lao Khao and cigarettes, and then we have his layabout mates hanging around her house!. He is 35 and has never worked.

To the OP, you know who cleans our house without any salary? My other half and we have three bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, kitchen, office, dining room and large gardens with drive.

3 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Difficult to find something if not there in the first place.

Look fair enough you have found a nice content niche but please dont think others have the same  but dont see iut.  I can tell you some horror stories like the poor guy that works 6 days a week at home, has nothing of his own, lives in a tiny bedsit because he is forever sending ALL his money here for his demanding wife and child.  If you go to the wife's house it is full of every kind of extended family sitting around drinking and gambling....none work.  And all along the MIL is grumbling that he is a cheap charlie farang!!

Well, I think that is the point. It is there in the first place. Your MIL, Odysseous123's MIL are just two examples. My son's MIL and FIL are both fine upstanding people; that is two more. Surely, they cannot be the only ones.