Chinese man stopped near Mae Sot border with 8 million baht stuffed in a bag

webfact

Chinese man stopped near Mae Sot border with 8 million baht stuffed in a bag

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A military checkpoint carrying out checks on the Mae Sot to Tak road in Thailand's north west stopped a Hyundai van with just one passenger.

In a bag among many in the back they found 8 million baht in cash, reported Thai Rath.

Driver Ong Muang Yajing, 32 from Chiang Mai - acting as interpreter - and passenger Lee Jia Wern,25, from China, had inconsistencies in their stories.

Lee said the money belonged to his boss who did business in Burma across the border from Wang Kaew district. He was on his way to Bangkok.

Both driver and passenger were handed over to the immigration police for further questioning and the money was confiscated.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-16

A lucky find or " targeted"?

I'm sure I am not alone in wondering what happens to this sort of "confiscated" money or seized assets? 

I'm sure that here must be a simple publicly available audit trail that explains it...

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What right did the Police have to confiscate the money ?

Crossing a border with more than USD$10,000 and not declaring it opens you up to confiscation until you can prove its legitimacy.

(amount varies in different countries)

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

Crossing a border with more than USD$10,000 and not declaring it opens you up to confiscation until you can prove its legitimacy.

(amount varies in different countries)

This did not happen at the border.

6 hours ago, JAG said:

A lucky find or " targeted"?

I'm sure I am not alone in wondering what happens to this sort of "confiscated" money or seized assets? 

I'm sure that here must be a simple publicly available audit trail that explains it...

In Europe or America money that has come into the country that has not been declared now belongs to that country and the carrier could have charges against him.

5 hours ago, marco999 said:

Did you read it ? It was not a police but a military check-point

It doesnt matter , the point still stands .

Its not illegal to carry money with you , what right do the authorities have to convasgate it ?

33 minutes ago, surangw said:

shrinks with each new count

It's the humidity you know. All to do with the start of the Rainy Season.

Makes it sticky, especially to the fingers don't you know...

It's a long way to Bangkok, I doubt it will make it that far.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

The right that they were foreigners and and the boys all could do with a million or so each.funny that.when old shinawatra was on the run and hiding out in the uk I wonder wether anyone asked proof of where his money come when he bought Man City.

8 million BAHT that would be about £185.000 even in UK if you were carrying that much cash and couldn't give a police officer a good reason why you were carrying it and proof of where it came from you would be arrested and money confiscated until you could produce evidence of it's legality . This would happen on any amount over £1000 if the police believe you have not given them sufficient proof of where it came from and how it was acquired.They would assume you were maybe drug dealing etc . You have to provide very good evidence of the legality of the funds

So there's a kidnapping and ransom on the 6th. Then 10 days later this guy shows up at the border ALONE with a little more than half of the 15million paid to the kidnappers who where identified as Chinese. Yeah, he was going to see the boss. It's all connected I tells' ya....looks pretty crisp guys.

On 5/16/2018 at 3:01 PM, arithai12 said:

This did not happen at the border.

No, it happened at a military checkpoint on the Mae Sai - Tak road. The two men were on their way to Bangkok after coming from Myawaddy town, Burma. 

Driver Ong Muang Yajing, 32 from Chiang Mai is probably Thai.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:32 PM, sanemax said:

It doesnt matter , the point still stands .

Its not illegal to carry money with you , what right do the authorities have to convasgate it ?

Agree.

If I threw a hissy fit with my bank and decided to take out 2 mil and put it in another bank what does that have to do with police/army when it's in my car?

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Agree.

If I threw a hissy fit with my bank and decided to take out 2 mil and put it in another bank what does that have to do with police/army when it's in my car?

Perhaps your bank would give you a B2 million bank draft?

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, sanemax said:

Suspicion pending an investigation because the reason for carrying so much could not be established and their stories didn't match up.  They don't just take it and send the bloke on his way!

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Agree.

In your case there wouldn't be an issue because you'd have been able to explain it's source satisfactorily.  If you couldn't do that then it would have a lot to do with the police/army!  Happens in every country since the introduction of money laundering laws.

19 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Perhaps your bank would give you a B2 million bank draft?

When you are dealing with most banks here you are/can be limited to what you can do without a wp.

Went to one bank that has Western Union transfer signs outside and inside. Lady asked me what I wanted to do, I said, transfer to UK, she gave a ticket with a number. Waited 40 mins in the queue and when I got to the counter they told me they stopped doing WU a year ago.

Things like the above make me believe in cash.

?

Archived